Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > "Terrain response system faulty".
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
casper

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black
"Terrain response system faulty".

Well it finally caught up with me at 94k miles on 2007 FL2 http://www.freel2.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_bigcry.gif
There is no light on the terrain respnse system and when I turn the knob it displays "Terrain response system faulty".
Tried the disconnect battery and reset for 10mins with no luck.

Dealer I trust and there are many I don't says will check diagnostics first and may reset software and run to see if it comes back for a few weeks or will be new Haldex pump. Booked in on weds this week, Sounds better and cheaper than a new ABS module if it works.

Post #242276 24th Nov 2014 8:00 pm
casper

Terrain Response System Faulty maybe Dif rear pinion shaft?

Guys I have just read the following below if true reflashing software will not make any difference since I have 3rd generation Haldex fitted. I also have a slight rushing high pitched noise on low revs difficult to describe usually after changing gear just wondering if i need that Diff rear pinion shaft tail bearing kit upgrade and would this failure have contaminated the oil making sludge cause sensor failure rather than Haldex causing a problem.

To fix this issue upgraded bearings must be fitted to the differential, and from 2009 models onwards the Haldex unit was upgraded to the 4th generation which will accept updated software (early models have the 3rd generation fitted which cannot be reflashed) to reduce the load on the pinion.

Post #242284 24th Nov 2014 9:15 pm
turboextreme

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

I had a similar fault on my Freelander 9 out if 10 times the fault is caused by a poor electrical connector check this video out it worked for me. Thumbs Up

Post #242916 29th Nov 2014 8:22 pm
alex_pescaru

That sensor on the video above has nothing to do with the TR system.
It's the manifold absolute pressure sensor and it's engine specific, not TR.
The same result would have been got without pulling out that connector, just ignition off and then back on.

Post #242922 29th Nov 2014 9:04 pm
casper

Alex thanks for clearing that up since i had seen that video.
My problem appeared to clear after 20 mins and dealer found no faults on this basis i fitted the earth strap mod since probally down to low voltage on cranking triggers the sensor. No problems so far but it did happen on the -3 cent am last wk.

Post #243107 1st Dec 2014 8:23 am
Domhnull Ban

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

I had the same problem with the terrain response not working, but in the end it had nothing to do with terrain response, but faults with other sensors that didn't trigger the engine management light,
I bought a cheap WiFi scanner on ebay and it showed me that the engine speed sensor that you will find behind the right side front wheel was faulty, next that the throttle valve was faulty, so I removed it (see youtube) and found that the valve was sticking due to the oil coming out of the breather pipe that's comes up from the sump, after removing and cleaning it, l still found that it still the valve didn't feel right, so I checked youtube again that the cogs inside are made of plastic and the teeth break, I took it apart by putting a screwdriver under the lugs and found most of the the lugs had broken off, bought and fitted a new one (see YouTube) and to set the codes for the new throttle valve, I removed one cable from the battery,, to be safe remove the two, I connected the two cables together without touching the battery for about 30 seconds to remove and reset the codes connect the battery and started the engine and and WALLA no more faults, and the car ran better than it did for a long time, l also fitted a breather oil catch can, see youtube again any competent person can do it, though I not a youtube subscriber it helped me a lot
Donald Mackay

Post #425562 25th Sep 2022 9:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
persiansuk

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Rimini Red

I had terrain response faulty error message, this was rectified by replacing the map sensor. All working again now and light on knob staying on.

Post #425617 28th Sep 2022 1:38 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

I had the Terrain Response Unavailable message come up a couple of days after cleaning the MAP sensor a couple of weeks back, and it's been doing it every start since then.
This morning I had a low coolant warning as well as the TR Unavailable, so decided to top up the coolant before setting off for work.
I just happened to look at the MAP sensor, only to discover the plug was sitting on the throttle body, and not plugged into the sensor. Presumably I'd not plugged it in properly, so the plug had dropped out while diving the vehicle.
Other than the warning message, I didn't really notice much difference with it disconnected, maybe the engine was a bit less responsive than normal, and I don't think the MPG was as good as it normally is on the weekend's trip to Cardiff to return the daughter to university, but otherwise the ECM seems to cope really well with one of its primary sensors open circuit. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #425619 28th Sep 2022 2:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1