« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > rear dif/Haldex problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
chrisman

England 
rear dif/Haldex problems

I have read on this forum many items regarding faults occurring at the rear, in the dif or the Haldex, usually after about 30,000 to 40,000 miles or so .
My car is a 59 plate HSE with 35,000 miles. I don't have a problem that I am aware of, not at the rear at least, but how does the problem manifest itself? When I pulled away from a stop yesterday,on several occasions, I could hear a short screech noise from the rear just after I was moving. It only lasted as long as it takes to say "screech" and didn't do it any more until I pulled away from stationary again. This morning there was no noise at all. I have checked underneath to make sure the neighbour's cat was not involved!
If I did eventually end up with the usual problem, what sort of repair costs would i be looking at, and would I have to have a new unit or are there recon ones available, and are these any good?
So many questions!

Chris

Post #236406 30th Sep 2014 9:10 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I too have a '59 plate HSE, presently at 52,500m. I don't think the "screech" you describe can be Haldex/Diff related, although I could be wrong. The only parts that move against each other are the Haldex clutch plates that are immersed in oil and anyway are engaged when doing a start from rest in a straight line.

Check for loose heat shields etc on the undersides. They are known to give strange noises.
Autos make a slightly similar "woo" noise occasionally from 1st to 2nd which is apparently quite normal. Mine does!

Faults with the Haldex would normally give rise to vibrations (IME) linked to different tyre radii between front and rear, also rear tyre judder on hard lock, or "traction fault" warnings. Faults with the diff and rear axle will give bearing whine etc.

Keep us posted!

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #236411 30th Sep 2014 9:30 am
chrisman

England 

Thanks. My auto box also wheezes on the change from 1 to 2. It' s just that I have seen so much about failings at the rear that seemed to involve bearings not being up to the job and giving up after about my mileage that any untoward noise is noticed and worried about .

Post #236420 30th Sep 2014 10:29 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1