« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Discovery Sport...revealed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 20 of 22 <123 ... 19 202122>
Print this entire topic · 
ad210358

England 

chicken george wrote:
move with the times boys, study a disco 2 or a defender and you will see they arnt much more hi tech than a 40's jeep,

stop pining for the old days when LR's were rubbish

Shocked most sensible post from CG since I don't know when Thumbs Up

Post #234013 6th Sep 2014 7:17 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Just a thought and pure speculation ... I suggested that production of the the current Defender may well continue abroad, probably outside the EU, with low numbers imported in the face of upcoming small series regulations.

I wonder if something similar will happen with the Freelander 2 tooling? LR would want to make some use of it and I don't think Freelander imports into the EU would be subject to the same volume limits as the Defender.

Land Rover facilities are said to be flat out now and may not have the capacity to build the next Defender in the UK so might an imported, modified and strengthened but simpler vehicle based on the tooling of Freelander 2 be the next Defender? The size and shape may be about right (although suspension, wheel articulations, and clearances could be challenging).

IF the future of the new Defender and the relocated tooling of the current Freelander 2 are somehow interdependent it may perhaps explain why the new Defender won't be available (per the motoring press) for another couple of years???

Post #234014 6th Sep 2014 7:18 pm
taztastic

England 

The Freelander tooling will be shipped to the LR factory in India, they have been assembling the Freelander as a kit shipped out there for the home market, they will now use the tooling to make the model out there for developing markets.

Post #234015 6th Sep 2014 7:31 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Oh, ok thanks .... facts beat speculation every time Smile

Post #234017 6th Sep 2014 7:41 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

I have read the Auto Express article now and I like the look of the DS but I'd like to see it in the flesh to make a final decision.

Not sure how it fits into the Discovery 'family' as it currently stands. It looks more like a member of the Range Rover 'family' - if you can't stretch to a RR/RRS or don't like the Evoque, the DS might fit the bill. I have always seen the FL2 and Discovery 4 as the utilitarian/functional LR products, and I love the Freelander for that. I can see I shall be hanging on to mine for more than the 3 years or so I normally do! 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #234024 6th Sep 2014 9:26 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Yes I agree with Winslet and others that the DS is more of a Range Rover. That brings to mind Jeremy Clarkson's comments on Porsche ... 'If you buy a Boxster everyone will think it's because you couldn't afford an 911'.

At least the Freelander 2 and Discovery 4 were distinct model ranges.

I was going to change my nearly 3 year old Freelander at the turn of the year which would have been right for the new DS, but I'll hold on now until the end of 2015 and see how everything pans out.

Better start reading up on threads about extended warrantees ....

Post #234054 7th Sep 2014 8:37 am
athelstan

ad210358 wrote:
chicken george wrote:
move with the times boys, study a disco 2 or a defender and you will see they arnt much more hi tech than a 40's jeep, - stop pining for the old days when LR's were rubbish

I quite agree, but, technology aside, distinctive exterior and interior brand orientated design is a very significant plus point when conducting a balancing act of existing customer retention and securing conquest new sales.

Post #234066 7th Sep 2014 10:59 am
athelstan

taztastic wrote:
The Freelander tooling will be shipped to the LR factory in India, they have been assembling the Freelander as a kit shipped out there for the home market, they will now use the tooling to make the model out there for developing markets.

Correct Taztastic, and let's us not forget the very great advantage manufacturing in India has aside from a low cost labour market. India is also a member of the "BRIC" alliance of the newly advanced trading blocks whose other members are Brazil, Russia, and China. So for example the EU puts trading sanctions on Russia and LR can via its Indian plant or Brazilian plant (expected on stream in 2017) export models to the Russian markets and thereby legally circumvent any EU sanction.

And there are other tariff friendly trading blocks that all three JLR overseas manufacturing plants (Brazil, China, India) will be able to exploit to place them on the same global trading footing as JLR's direct competitors: ASEAN, MERCOSUR, ADEAN, and, SAARC. Establishing overseas manufacturing plants is not just about increasing capacity - strategically it's about removing tariff barriers to enable JLR to sell their cars on a like for like import taxation base.

Post #234069 7th Sep 2014 11:22 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

ad210358 wrote:

its all sensible but you cant see the wood for the trees. CC doctrine has embedded deep into your psyche At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #234070 7th Sep 2014 11:25 am
athelstan

Not in mine:
There's no BBQ's, praying to a none existent god of Yorkshire (excepting Joe Root of course) or fowl pest in my psyche Wink

Post #234072 7th Sep 2014 11:36 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I have mixed views of the DS, I love the front end treatment but not too sure on the rear end, from some angles it just looks odd. Interior is a massive improvement over the FL2 but its not the most adventurous I have ever seen, my X3 dashboard layout still looks more modern. And why do I have to have 7 seats if i only want 5? Also why is there no sunroof just a fixed piece of glass (I have never seen the point in having a glass roof unless it can open!)

In the images the DS looks huge but compared to my X3 is it 3cm shorter however what I don't like is the fact that it is a full 19cm wider than my X3 so parking wouldn't be the easiest.

Price wise I specced up a HSE to the sort of spec my X3 has and it was coming out £45K which isn't bad considering my X3 price before discount was £45K as well. However come on LR, I cannot believe you are charging £61 for a first aid kit and £32 for a warning triangle on a £45K vehicle that it just taking the p Censored s (incidentally my X3 comes with both for free!)

I will reserve final judgement until I see one in the flesh but first impressions are not bad - I just think what they have produced is more Discovery than Freelander 2 - LR need (and by all accounts it may be coming) a slightly smaller cheaper version to cater for those wanting to swop their FL2 Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #234164 8th Sep 2014 9:39 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Badger1970 wrote:
Mav71 wrote:
I can't believe the negativity I read on here about the new DS! LR have to move with the times. If they keep relying in the past, then they will be left behind.

I remember similar on the old Vectra-C forum when the Insignia was released. Look how many migrated to the car 'eventually'. Same story with the Vectra B to the Vectra C. And on and on it goes.....

Very true! Just goes to show how fickle people are!

LR NUT wrote:
I don't like the DS at all! But the G4 does look better Laughing still needs an A Bar, some spots and lamp guards! Like previous G4's have been in the past!

I wonder when the new engines are out if JLR will have a manual option still available and not the old 190 SD4 manual Whistle

So what percentage of the vehicle has actual disco parts?

Is it worthy of the sport badge? The old L320 aka RRS got slated for not being sporty and it was launched with 4.2!

A) Yes there will be a manual high power diesel. Up to 230bhp has been rumoured.
B) it's an all new car so it won't have anything from the discovery on it. It is just part of the new Disco family.

ccsnet wrote:
Badger1970 wrote:
Mav71 wrote:
I can't believe the negativity I read on here about the new DS! LR have to move with the times. If they keep relying in the past, then they will be left behind.

I remember similar on the old Vectra-C forum when the Insignia was released. Look how many migrated to the car 'eventually'. Same story with the Vectra B to the Vectra C. And on and on it goes.....
I was one of those who had Bs when they came out until they stopped - my gsinwas fun.... How ever although I had an XP C it was a down grade and in eventually moved to Saab because it was the same car put together better.

Now I'm here and I find my self with the same issue.

The DS is not a Freelancer replacment'... Its a new car.

Tech wise very good... Engine wise limited at launch and quite expensive.

Every OEM is the same... Cut backs but put the price up.

Conclusion as many of us are been done over on income and outgoings is the second hand market just started to look better.

That means more car for less and for me I may actually consider a ffrs for two years rather and a DS for four years.

Who knows.... I may change my mind

T

PS I did say the DS had the insignia steering wheel .... Maybe I'm closer to vauxhal again with out realising it lol

Nothing wrong with that, I'll always have Vauxhall in my blood!

Nick Jan wrote:
Ok, maybe many (or some?) do struggle with change. In relation to the Discovery Sport I certainly don't; I'm more than ready to see a new generation of vehicles to satisfy the existing and increasing LR market. My issue is that this launch (so far) may well be out of the price range of many former Freelander2 (& 1) owners.

Is LR deliberately focussing its entire new range on those customers who can and do chose to buy expensive high-end models, because the profit margin there is so much better? So, effectively abandoning a large section of its previously loyal customers to to be provided for by other manufacturers? Let's hope it's just a matter of launch timing, and that LR's strategy is not now wholly elitist.

Good point! Time will tell if the smaller lower cost models come out. But we all know that the DS will sell by the bucket load.

Iliacus wrote:
cyberhusky wrote:
56 HiRes pix of the DS can be downloaded here

http://www.netcarshow.com/land_rover/2015-discovery_sport/

I don't like the shiny skid plates front & rear, it looks like it's pretending to be a full time off-roader. The pics on the above site with them in black look much better, pics 32 to 35.

According to insiders I have spoken to, the new DS is better off road than the FL2. Looks can be deceiving.
chicken george wrote:
move with the times boys, study a disco 2 or a defender and you will see they arnt much more hi tech than a 40's jeep,

stop pining for the old days when LR's were rubbish

Well CG, that is the best comment I have seen you right and I 100% think you have hit the nail on the head Thumbs Up Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #234165 8th Sep 2014 9:47 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

And the Freelander name is still mud in certain markets. Gave my uncle from Canada a lift yesterday. He's a driver for an auto auction house, and first thing he said was "terrible reputation these have". I nearly suggested he walk, but he's in his late seventies... Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #234203 8th Sep 2014 3:35 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Quote:
And the Freelander name is still mud in certain markets. ... "terrible reputation these have".

Which is odd, because if you look at the stats at somewhere like reliabilityindex.com the Freelander - even the early FL1s - has always been more reliable (generally a lot more reliable) than the Discovery. Going by real reliability, as opposed to perceived, they should be renaming the Discovery to Freelander!

Post #234206 8th Sep 2014 4:38 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Very Happy Freelander Sport it is Very Happy Very Happy

Post #234210 8th Sep 2014 5:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 20 of 22 <123 ... 19 202122>