Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > North America > Lot's of LR2's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Rev

Canada 

I think they are all season, Mikelo was just saying they are not great in the winter. Coming soon: LR2 HSE; Alaska White; Nav; Premium Sound; Bluetooth; Lighting Package

Post #20057 13th May 2008 7:11 pm
mikello

Canada 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Nazca Sand

[quote="Matei"]

Rev wrote:
Now as said before I think the FL2 comes with all season. Cannot actually imagine why LR would sell summer tyres as standard on an off road in Canada.
You sure the delivery tyres are summer?

Here in Canada, LR2 goes with Continental CrossContact UHP tires. Although they are marked as M+S, they are not even all season tires which you can tell by looking at the tire tread. TireRack.com lists them as high performance summer tires and so does Continental itself.

From my experience, only the electronics keeps these tires going in winter. It does a great job so in many cases you would not even feel that you are on summer tires. Still, better all-season tires would be a good idea for LR2.

The question of why Land Rover puts such tires is always in my mind. And so is another one: why does not Land Rover provide an option of having All Terrain tires in 18 and 19 inch rim sizes? With the standard rims only 235 or 245 tires can be installed and there are literally no AT tires in that width Sad

Mikhail

Post #20085 14th May 2008 1:18 am
Quagmire

Canada 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tambora Flame

I just got through the winter with a set of Nokian tires. They certainly did perform well on the icy roads and snowy off-road trails. I don't trust any form of all season tires in the winter. I wanted a separate set of winter rims just to avoid potential winter damage (rocks, salt, sliding into curbs, etc) to my alloy rims and to facilitate easy changes (torque the wheels to 98 ft lbs btw). Unfortunately, none of the tire dealers were able to find the right steel rim (no documentation on the specs from LR) so I just bought the rims right from LR. My backside is still sore from that transaction. Sad The steel rims were 17" and I had to get 235/65 R17 to keep the tire circumference the same. They might look like @$$ but they do the trick. Also road noise is increased a little but the extra sidewall sucks up the bumps a little better.

Rev wrote:
(I got it and the smart stuck 5 times this record breaking winter in Toronto). This is the main reason why i am buying the LR2.

How ironic is that? You bought a Smart to get you where you wanted to go inexpensively/greenly but you needed an SUV to actually get you there Laughing I don't even think the LR2 is that bad on gas. I usually get 9L/100km on the highway I can even get it down to 8.4 if I pull a few tricks (but I'm not sure the truckers appreciate drafting). If only it didn't need premium.

I've only seen about 6 LR2s in Calgary and area during the past year (I've been looking). I see RRs, LR3s and RRSs all over the place. I guess the oil boom has treated people well here. I sort of like having the only LR2 on my block. People ask me what it is and compliment me on the colour (Tambora Flame, baby). I have absolutely no trouble spotting it in a parking lot. Its been a great purchase so far (pity about the expensive/limited accessories, though).

Post #20089 14th May 2008 6:11 am
Rev

Canada 

Great info Quag, I don't suppose you mind telling me generally what a set of winter rims and tires cost you from LR. I'm almost afraid to ask! I'm like you, I prefer winter tires in, um, winter. But it may be too expensive this year.

My wife drives the smart to work (longer trip) and I drive the grand am gt (which i got stuck repeatedly this winter). The wife has no problems in the smart in the winter because she takes main roads. In fact the smart can go anywhere the grand am can go and then some! It is amazing on snowy and icey roads with winter tires. We take the smart when it snows. But the street on which I work needs the ride height of an SUV. So there is no sedan which would suit my needs. I still love the smart but we are selling it (not the grand am) because we want to start a family and a two seater isn't great when there is three of you. Plus the grand am is paid off as of this June.

so we have been quite happy with our choice in the smart and are selling it to a friend who can't wait to get her hands on it. As for fuel economy we do all city driving. We are used to 4.5 l/100km in the smart, so I'm going to cry when I go from $25 to fill the tank to, what nearly $100 of premium? Luckily I only burn one tank of gas per month in the grand am and expect to burn about the same in the LR2. I don't drive very much. Coming soon: LR2 HSE; Alaska White; Nav; Premium Sound; Bluetooth; Lighting Package

Post #20130 14th May 2008 2:53 pm
Quagmire

Rev, I don't have the receipts in front of me but I think the rims set me back $215/rim (yes, that is the LR price for steel rims). The tires were the Nokian Hakkapeliita SUV. I paid about $300/tire. It was a choice between those and the Nokian WR SUV. The WRs are all seasons but I figured that I would only be using them in the winter and the Hakkapeliitas were designed specifically for winter. So I went with the Hakkapeliitas. I got the tires through a 3rd party (Kal Tire).

I wish I could coax 4.5 L/100km out of my LR2. I don't drive around that much but if I do make a trip to the mountains, it'll set me back quite a bit. $100/tank is about right. For city driving, I'll usually get between 11 and 12l/100km. I try to walk/bike as much as possible these days (which is not a bad thing- it keeps me in shape).

On another note, I find the tank to be a bit small. If I make a trip into the bush (500-600km without fuel), I find that the fuel level drops unnervingly low. I didn't have that problem in my Subaru Outback Sport (good fuel economy) or Ford Explorer Sport Trac (large gas tank).

Post #20136 14th May 2008 4:08 pm
mikello

Quagmire wrote:
I don't have the receipts in front of me but I think the rims set me back $215/rim (yes, that is the LR price for steel rims).

With tax it is about $250 per a steel rim. I would call it extortion...

BTW, did they sell alloy 17" rims? Or only the steel rims?

Mikhail

Post #20140 14th May 2008 5:13 pm
mikello

Quagmire wrote:
So I went with the Hakkapeliitas.

Are they studded? If they are, they must be quite noisy.

Mikhail

Post #20141 14th May 2008 5:18 pm
Quagmire

Confirming once more, it was $200+ for each steel rim. No alloy or nothing. I had to make a trip to the proctologist after that one. I did do a bit of research on steel rims before going the LR route but since LR couldn't supply the specs on the rim the tire dealers couldn't get me the rims (or maybe they were being lazy). I thought they'd just to make a few measurements off my LR2 and place an order. Apparently it's not that simple.

If anybody need some measurements/specs/pictures from my rims, I can provide them. I'll do my part to keep fellow forum members out of the proctologist's office.

Post #20144 14th May 2008 5:55 pm
mikello

Quagmire wrote:
If anybody need some measurements/specs/pictures from my rims, I can provide them. I'll do my part to keep fellow forum members out of the proctologist's office.

The rim specs are already available. Bolt pattern is 5x108, offset is +50mm, central bore is 64.3mm. Still, there are no alloy wheels with these specs suitable for LR2 (max load needs to be at least 900kg and all rims that are available are in 600-675kg range).

Mikhail

Post #20148 14th May 2008 7:27 pm
Rev

Canada 

Quagmire wrote:
Rev, I don't have the receipts in front of me but I think the rims set me back $215/rim (yes, that is the LR price for steel rims). The tires were the Nokian Hakkapeliita SUV. I paid about $300/tire. It was a choice between those and the Nokian WR SUV. The WRs are all seasons but I figured that I would only be using them in the winter and the Hakkapeliitas were designed specifically for winter. So I went with the Hakkapeliitas. I got the tires through a 3rd party (Kal Tire).

I wish I could coax 4.5 L/100km out of my LR2. I don't drive around that much but if I do make a trip to the mountains, it'll set me back quite a bit. $100/tank is about right. For city driving, I'll usually get between 11 and 12l/100km. I try to walk/bike as much as possible these days (which is not a bad thing- it keeps me in shape).

On another note, I find the tank to be a bit small. If I make a trip into the bush (500-600km without fuel), I find that the fuel level drops unnervingly low. I didn't have that problem in my Subaru Outback Sport (good fuel economy) or Ford Explorer Sport Trac (large gas tank).

Wow! That is a lot of money! They must stick like glue in cold weather though.

11-12L/100km in the city is not bad at all! Since I only drive about 200-400 km per month I'll be fine. My grand am is getting over 15L/100km in the city. But my commute is a 3km commute which kills the gas mileage.

I don't think tank size will be a problem for me as any long distances I travel will be on the highway.

Yes, I'd love to see some pics. Coming soon: LR2 HSE; Alaska White; Nav; Premium Sound; Bluetooth; Lighting Package

Post #20150 14th May 2008 7:40 pm
Rev

Canada 

mikello wrote:
Quagmire wrote:

The rim specs are already available. Bolt pattern is 5x108, offset is +50mm, central bore is 64.3mm. Still, there are no alloy wheels with these specs suitable for LR2 (max load needs to be at least 900kg and all rims that are available are in 600-675kg range).

Mikhail

Thanks for the info! Too bad it is so hard to find the appropriate rim/tire combo for a good price. Coming soon: LR2 HSE; Alaska White; Nav; Premium Sound; Bluetooth; Lighting Package

Post #20151 14th May 2008 7:42 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

what type of car do proctologists drive?
wait
Brown probes Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #20152 14th May 2008 7:44 pm
Rev

Canada 

booooooooooooooooooo

I want my money back! Coming soon: LR2 HSE; Alaska White; Nav; Premium Sound; Bluetooth; Lighting Package

Post #20153 14th May 2008 7:46 pm
Quagmire

I saw another LR2 in Calgary last night and it was Tambora Flame as well Thumbs Up. We waved as we went by. I don't think that happens when two X3 drivers pass. It makes you feel good to own the vehicle.

So far I have seen 6 LR2s in Calgary. 2 blacks, 2 greys and 2 tambora flames. It's still a bit of an exclusive club out west.

Post #21695 6th Jun 2008 4:36 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

I understand that LR is not doing Tambora Flame anymore. My dealer told me that it was a limited edition. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #21697 6th Jun 2008 4:48 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>