« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > miss-fueling
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black
miss-fueling

Auto express has a list of costs to remove petrol from diesel cars ranging from £110 for a Skoda to £5000 for a Chrysler. The fl2 came in at £4300, fuel lines pumps filters etc.
Apparently Skoda reckons if the engine had not been started draining the tank and changing the filter would do, Whereas LR advices changing all the fuel lines pumps filters etc as a precaution. personally I would do the Skoda trick and hope for the best!

Either way I don't intend to find out ..but it wouldn't be the first stupid thing I have ever done Laughing

The LR dealer Auto Express talked to claimed to be getting about four miss-fuelled fl2's a week

I think you can get insurance against miss-fueling, I have heard stories of people who have put a few litres of petrol in by accident realised their error topped up with diesel and driven away no problems Thumbs Up

Reading the article further ,It seems wise if you do miss-fuel not to call Land-rover as if you do so, then not let them change all these parts your future warranty will be void, where as if you use a local garage LR will never know and your warranty will be safer Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #19604 7th May 2008 7:04 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

With all Land Rovers it is absolutely fatal if you turn the key if you have misfueled - the fuel pump is diesel lubricated and the benzine in petrol will dissolve the seals. Over on D3 and RRS there have been lots of reports of folks misfuelling - if you missfuel a TDv6 RRS and drive it away it will cost you or your insurers about £10k to repair the damage and usually means replacement of all the fuel system and possibly a new engine as well................. so £4500 for a F2 is getting off lightly!
LR dealers will fix it the Skoda way if you haven't turned the key passed position 2 or started the engine. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #19612 7th May 2008 8:56 pm
chicken george

anyone got the insurance? At work
At home

Post #19614 7th May 2008 9:00 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Check your policy - you may find it is covered as accidental damage. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover

Post #19623 7th May 2008 10:08 pm
chicken george

I've looked on the web, the verdict is its unlikely that insurance will cover miss fuelling. So here's hoping I'm not distracted while filling the tank! Especially at one of those idiot garages that puts petrol in pumps with black nozzles Evil or Very Mad At work
At home

Post #19628 7th May 2008 11:02 pm
nickwill

You could try looking at the AA website, they do a service called fuel assist. It seems to be very basic draining of the tank and the advice concurs with previous posts - DO NOT START THE ENGINE if you realise in time.

Post #19640 8th May 2008 8:04 am
nickwill

You could try looking at the AA website, they do a service called fuel assist. It seems to be very basic draining of the tank and the advice concurs with previous posts - DO NOT START THE ENGINE if you realise in time.

Post #19641 8th May 2008 8:05 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

You could always paint
DIESEL
on the side by the filler cap Rolling with laughter

Post #19643 8th May 2008 8:06 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Don't Freelanders have all sorts of Diesel stickers in the filler flap and on the cap? There is a special device on the market that Lookers Land Rover (and I think Charles Hurst are part of the Lookers group) were fitting to cars that makes misfueling impossible. Maybe James can tell us if their dealership has these available.................... How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?

Post #19648 8th May 2008 9:40 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Bring back the old days when there were seperate diesel pumps at the forecourt rather than 1 pump that lets you have diesel, unleaded and superunleaded!! I do a lot of travelling so visit many different fuel stations and not all forecourts use black for diesel Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #19649 8th May 2008 9:41 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Too right - some places use Green, some Yellow and I've seen Blue hoses for diesel - do we need to lobby Parilament for a standard colour for diesel hoses Rolling with laughter How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?

Post #19651 8th May 2008 9:49 am
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

There are lots of scare stories put about regarding misfueling.
Most manufacturers list a full fuel system replacement when asked what needs doing and most dealers will tell you the same but IME in 90% of cases, even if you start the engine and drive away, a drain down and refill will have you back on the road. A friend did it with her Jeep. Drove it until it stopped. Rang the dealer and got the £4k story, then rang a local garage, had it towed, drained and refilled. She drove home again. Ok - you could say she was lucky, but she then did it again a few months later!. I'm not saying it hasn't shortened the life of the fuel pump in some way but I can say its still running fine 2 years later.

They talk about how precise the pumps and seals are but these cars are designed to be used around the world. Here, we have clean quality fuel. In other parts of the world the fuel will be contaminated with all sorts, including chemicals and dirt, but the car must be built to cope. Hence why you can get another 30hp with a simple chip. The cars are designed to cope with far worse treatment than they get here in blighty, fuel pumps included. 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #19663 8th May 2008 2:54 pm
chicken george

Thats the opinion I take . The engine probably isn't as fragile as the dealers tells you. So If I did missfuel I'd defiantly call the local garage first, there is no need for LR to know about it. At work
At home

Post #19666 8th May 2008 3:17 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

chicken george wrote:
Thats the opinion I take . The engine probably isn't as fragile as the dealers tells you. So If I did missfuel I'd defiantly call the local garage first, there is no need for LR to know about it.

Guess you are right. If you can make a houndred miles afterwards they will probably not be able to pin the cause. Maybe blame it on infested diesel if they check.
Nevertheless if the main problem is lubrification I would think of topping up at least one liter of 2T Oil to help lubrification as Yamaha-Fan suggested. By the way "Where is Yamaha-Fan?"
Guess that it depends if you put only a couple of litres before you notice or you put 50. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19678 8th May 2008 4:53 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Why not try concentrating when refuelling?

I know it's hard if you have a diesel car and a petrol one but come on, you wouldn't accidentally drink bleach instead of orange juice would you?

Whistle

Post #19717 8th May 2008 11:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>