« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > miss-fueling
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

snappa wrote:
Why not try concentrating when refuelling?

I know it's hard if you have a diesel car and a petrol one but come on, you wouldn't accidentally drink bleach instead of orange juice would you?

Whistle

"you wouldn't accidentally drink bleach instead of orange juice would you?" Now this would definately invalidate your warranty so just don't let the wife know Rolling with laughter FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19728 9th May 2008 7:46 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Matei wrote:
snappa wrote:

I know it's hard if you have a diesel car and a petrol one but come on, you wouldn't accidentally drink bleach instead of orange juice would you?

Whistle

"you wouldn't accidentally drink bleach instead of orange juice would you?" Now this would definately invalidate your warranty so just don't let the wife know Rolling with laughter

Rolling with laughter At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #19729 9th May 2008 7:51 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Matei wrote:
snappa wrote:

Whistle

"you wouldn't accidentally drink bleach instead of orange juice would you?" Now this would definately invalidate your warranty so just don't let the wife know Rolling with laughter

You wouldnt have time to let anybody know Shocked
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #19733 9th May 2008 9:36 am
Matei

Who needs bleach? Or orange juice for that matter.

Just follow this logic:

Drink orange juice every day.
Orange juice means health.
Health means sport
Sport means life
Life means work
Work means money
Money means women
Women mean sex
Sex meaans AIDS
Aids means death
Stop drinking orange juice as you do not want to die.
HAVE A BEER INSTEAD!!!! Thumbs Up FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19734 9th May 2008 9:44 am
xxtrail

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

On a serious note, mis-fuelling can be very costly. This week's AutoExpress has an article on it. For the most popular model of 26 makes of car, they phoned dealers in the Birmingham area saying that they'd mis-fuelled and driven until the engine died. The LR dealer concerned quoted £4300 for a FL2 TD4 repair. This varied to as little as £110 for a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI. The highest price quoted was for the Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD at £5000. Sobering thought! Whistle Whistle

The AA reckon that some makes are being over-cautious, as they think a simple flush out should solve the problem.

If you do make the mistake, it may be worth phoning around before accepting an LR repair, though don't know how this would play with warranty. Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #19744 9th May 2008 12:16 pm
xxtrail

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Sorry CG, I didn't read back far enough on the topic, silly me Embarassed so my previous post already covered. Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #19750 9th May 2008 1:15 pm
chicken george

Ah you see not paying attention ..imagine if you were similarly hurried at the pump Shocked easy done .

ps. been driving diesels for 15+ years and I havn't miss fuelled ....yet Whistle At work
At home

Post #19756 9th May 2008 2:49 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Yeah It's like driving a manual after driving an auto.
You don't try to change gear without using the clutch, resulting in a nasty grindy noise do you?

Whistle

Post #19803 9th May 2008 11:38 pm
chicken george

snappa wrote:
Yeah It's like driving a manual after driving an auto.
You don't try to change gear without using the clutch, resulting in a nasty grindy noise do you?

Whistle

You've blown it now Snappa, in a few years time you will be selling your fl2 to a member of this forum, he will look back through your post history(all 10,000 by then) read this and back out of the deal Laughing

ps. To the buyer in the future buy mine instead its been driven carefully, polished weekly and most importantly its santorini Thumbs Up ...sorry about the baby sick on the back seats that should scrub off nicely Confused At work
At home

Post #19807 10th May 2008 1:18 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Nah I'll have filled up the gearbox with sawdust by then to mask any unpleasant noises

Very Happy

Post #19813 10th May 2008 10:19 am
Matei

snappa wrote:
Nah I'll have filled up the gearbox with sawdust by then to mask any unpleasant noises

Very Happy

Thoght you were joking but found this http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f32/gearbox-oil-2403.html FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19879 11th May 2008 2:09 pm
vectis

United Kingdom 

Has anyone seen or tried the MPD, misfuelling prevention device? I came across it on the D3 forums
http://www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk/index.asp

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic27328.html

Post #31296 18th Nov 2008 10:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

If MPD does what it says on the tin thats fine, but having looked at their website I find some of their claims a little odd.

There are some huge numbers on the page headed Environmental, even mention of the Exxon Valdise tanker incident; they are almost trying to imply that all misfuels result in waste being disposed of in an envirnmentally unsound way, thats just not on ... its pure hype.

I don't doubt that misfuelling does happen to many motorists and certainly might carry considerable financial cost if not dealt with correctly, but their claim that ... (quote) Many diesel vehicles use the unlocking of the doors as the trigger for the fuel pump to prime the engine. If this happens, it may already be too late to prevent expensive damage to the vehicle (quote) ... I'm sorry this is also taking the claim to extremes, priming the fuel system is hardly likely to fill the fuel line all the way upto the engine with petrol.

Most pumps have nozzles identified with the word diesel near the trigger, all you have to do is make a conscious effort to match the word on the nozzle with the word on the inside of the fuel filler door. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #31317 19th Nov 2008 1:17 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have not read the MDP page as i have no interest in gimicks or useless things like that

The only environmental impact mis fueling has is the diesel petrol mixture can't be used again in a car I presume, so would have to be disposed of, obviously not onto a beach in Alaska like Exxon did Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #31319 19th Nov 2008 1:24 am
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Quote:
The only environmental impact misfueling has is the diesel petrol mixture can't be used again in a car I presume, so would have to be disposed of, obviously not onto a beach in Alaska like Exxon did :roll:

No what happens is the nice mechanic who drains out you fuel stores it in 25 litre plastic drums until it separates and then siphons it off to use in his own car. I know this for a fact as we used to carry out electrical installations for a Mitsubishi main dealer.

Bill Turner Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #31413 20th Nov 2008 10:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>