« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Claudia Lawrence
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
Claudia Lawrence

Just been watching the news, there was a girl who disappeared 5 years ago in York, not been seen since, mobile turned off the same day etc

Tonight they have said they had used new techniques to find DNA from a cig butt in her car, also new finger prints have been found in her house.

The police believe she has been murdered, but her parents are still hoping she alive and will be found

Now the new finger prints have been found in her house

Does this mean her house has been empty for 5 years. Well it must have been as there would lose evidence and it would be covered in others finger prints etc if it had been sold/rented again

I assume as a possible crime scene, but it got me wondering who would pay the rent or the mortgage for the last five years?

Never thought about what happens in these scenarios just wondered if someone knew?

Post #219952 19th Mar 2014 7:44 pm
steve t

United Kingdom 

She lived just a few mile from myself, Yes the house is empty and has been since it became a crime scene.
Its been said that since its a mortgaged property the bank cant release it by law for 7 years so the police use every ave possible to try solve the crime.

There was a lot of police activity there around 6 weeks ago so im only guessing the new findings could be part of that.

I only hope something comes of it all

Post #219957 19th Mar 2014 8:08 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I hope something comes of it too Thumbs Up

So the bank sits and waits for 7 years, then will sell to recoupe the money? As I assume the mortgage isn't been paid, unless her parents are paying it?

We had a double murder near me and the house was empty for a while, but it was the man who killed his wife and daughter, leaving one child unharmed physically hiding. I think that was sold after, but that was a clear cut case with no one going missing

Post #219960 19th Mar 2014 8:37 pm
steve t

United Kingdom 

You know as much as me but as you can imagine its a very much talked about subject round the city when ever we think theres a possibility of progress been made in the case.

As much as myself and anyone else for that matter wouldn't want to think too much about it in this way I guess life insurance may play a part in the 7 years ?

Post #219965 19th Mar 2014 9:02 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Interesting and of course very tragic. Not encountered such a scenario before during my studies I must say. I know that if a person dies and leaves a will or dies intestate, the house will pass in accordance with the will or intestacy rules.

If let's say, a deceased persons estate is worth £250,000 including a house at £100,000 and there is an outstanding mortgage of £30,000, the mortgage is paid out of the estate. If what is owed exceeds the estate then the remainder of the debt will pass to the deceased's family.

The above is a very simple scenario and in the real world, things can be far more complicated. I wonder if the 7 years mentioned is the period that must pass in order for the missing person to be deemed deceased from the banks position with the mortgage. Interestingly, 7 years is the period that must pass to avoid potentially exempt transfers (PETS) becoming liable to Inheritance Tax. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #219967 19th Mar 2014 9:39 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

So, if my daughter, son, mother or father died and their debts exceeded the value of their estate, I'd get the debt? I'm no lawyer but that doesn't seem right to me??? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #219972 19th Mar 2014 11:27 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Don't get me wrong, I don't speak with personal knowledge on that specific point and indeed it isn't specifically something that cropped up during studies. I seem to remember saying to a lecturer once about what happens if I have debts and I die and my estate doesn't pay them, do my debts die with me. His response was "If only that was true!" He said (from memory) that the tab is picked up by the family so to speak but didn't go into details about processes etc. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Last edited by The Doctor on 20th Mar 2014 12:17 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #219973 19th Mar 2014 11:52 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

AHA! Just done some digging online as I have to agree Steve that it doesn't sound right. My lecturer (perhaps my question wasn't specific enough after all - memory is hazy) must have been referring to the family paying the debts out of the estate (a family member or members will usually be the executor). If a creditor has no more money left to seize so to speak, then he has little choice but to write the debt off.

Joint debts (say a joint credit card debt between husband and wife), will be payable by the husband if the wife dies (even if it's her shopping bill).

https://www.gov.uk/valuing-estate-of-someone-who-died/overview LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #219976 20th Mar 2014 12:12 am
steve t

United Kingdom 

Update.

From bout 1pm we have had police helicopter hovering over head, After looking into it a bit i soon found out they have made an arrested in connection to Claudia Lawrence.

Turns out the guy they have only lives what must be a mile or so from Claudia`s house.

Fingers crossed they have the right guy.

http://news.sky.com/story/1260580/claudia-...n-arrested

Post #224709 13th May 2014 4:08 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

just saw this, fingers cross they have the right person

Post #224710 13th May 2014 4:12 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Yeah, there was an interesting piece on the BBC website the other week that makes you wonder about DNA evidence. They highlighted a case where DNA was found under a murder victims fingernails, when they matched it they found that the 'suspect' had died 3 weeks before the victim. Discovered it was DNA contamination, same nail clippers had been used on both people, despite being cleaned DNA was being carried over. The other one was were one persons DNA was present at 5 seperate murders and 40 crime scenes, turned out to be from a woman who made made the swabs at a factory. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #224712 13th May 2014 5:00 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

so never trust people who make swabs,, multiple murderers. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #224714 13th May 2014 5:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1