Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > remote stereo controls can they be retro fitted????
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ValetecDavid

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black
remote stereo controls can they be retro fitted????

i thought at the time oh well i can do without this or that and even though our FL1 had remote stereo controls i thought no i dont need those.
Well 3 weeks into ownership and i really wish we had ordered the FL2 with this feature as i really miss it,the new stereo is quite a long way away to find and adjust when driving .
Anybody know if you can fit them after the event ,it would be great if the wires and connectors were already on the steering wheel under the existing plastic covers just waiting to be connected but i bet i am not that lucky.Also my car is an S model so comes with the basic cd stereo can this even have the remote thingy fitted to it ??or will i have to upgrade the stereo as well.Because that thought sounds expensive,may be find an HSE top spec in a salvage yard and get a top spec stereo from that?? sorry for the rambling all the best David L Valetec Wax on Wax off

Post #17814 13th Apr 2008 7:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

i know some of the D3 guys have added steering wheel controls, but i don't know the different specs in radio for the different models

The FL2 radio is vehicle specific so a salvage yard HSE Radio won't work Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #17817 13th Apr 2008 10:09 am
xxtrail

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

My GS uses the same basic audio as the S but with the addition of steering wheel controls, so there would be at least an I/P socket on your unit. It's possible that the cable is in the loom as it would seem daft to have a specific loom for the S, when all the other specs have the controls (it would cost more to make and stock 2 variants and the parts themselves cost pennies). But LR would probably charge the earth for the steering wheel mountings and switches to connect them to. Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #17820 13th Apr 2008 11:04 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

in that case then, maybe these will help

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Discovery-3-Audio-Ph...dZViewItem

I think the Discovery3 / RRS use the same control, (though these have the phone buttons on) Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #17821 13th Apr 2008 11:12 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

just out of interest how do the steering wheel mounted controls operate?

Given the number of different functions I presume they operate via infrared or similar, otherwise there would be a large number of cables working through a slip ring somewhere, that would seem very lo-tech.

Post #17828 13th Apr 2008 1:13 pm
ValetecDavid

thanks guys for the replys ,lots of info and things to think about, if i manage to add them i will put a post up about it for info Wax on Wax off

Post #17829 13th Apr 2008 1:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

i beleive they opperate via a cable link from what i have read Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #17832 13th Apr 2008 1:48 pm
ValetecDavid

thanks for the ebay link they look the same as the FL2 ones so i put a bid on if they are not i will just pop them back on e bay Wax on Wax off

Post #17874 13th Apr 2008 9:22 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Surely you must need all the wiring too, I'd be amazed if its all fitted into the wheel ready and waiting! I reckon but don't know the controls will work through a slip ring but not with loads of separate wires just one or two wires multitasking. I bought a steering column mounted remote control for the sony headunit in my pickup and this controls all its functions through a 3 wire jack plug.

Good luck though I hope it works for you Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #17876 13th Apr 2008 10:58 pm
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

The controls are hard-wired....not through a slip-ring..... It called a "Clock-spring" & is the smae method used by all/most OEMs for air-bag contol (Slip-rings not being reliable enough).

If you think of a "Loose" clock-spring wrapped around the steeringwheel mount.....as you turn one-way, the "spring" tightens up a bit, as you turn the other, the "spring" loosen's off bit. '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #17880 14th Apr 2008 6:10 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

The steering wheel connection failed on my fl1 so the horn didnt work. It needed a new slip ring/clock spring I did get the old part returned to me but never got around to investigating how it worked /why it failed At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #17881 14th Apr 2008 8:09 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

here's something else for you to ponder on when your looking at the Audio controls

Can you retro fit the cruise control?

as there is a set of steering wheelo controls on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEERING-WHEEL-CONTR...dZViewItem Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #18299 19th Apr 2008 8:51 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

NP, all versions of the RRS have radio controls on the steering wheel centre boss left hand side, same with SE and HSE spec Disco3 - not paddles on the edge of the column. It is possible to retro-fit the radio and CD player controls to D3 as several owners have done it, so there's no reason why it shouldn't be possible to do it to the Freel2. There are often sets for sale on e-bay, but I'm sure that Charles Hursts would get hold of a set along with fitting instructions (which you can also down-load from the Land Rover GTR website for a small fee) How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 19th Apr 2008 9:10 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #18300 19th Apr 2008 9:09 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

and a interesting read on DISCO3 regarding adding it to D3 without

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic16265.h...se+control

It is possible on the D3, but might need a bit on help activating it Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #18301 19th Apr 2008 9:09 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Retro fitting cruise is possible but like the radio controls requires a visiting to the dealer to enable it - I would imagine hooking up the electronics to the ECU (the LR Cruise also remaps the engine like TR does) and to the gearbox ECU if you have an auotomatic as engaging cruise also alters the shift pattern to make the gearbox change up sooner when you engage cruise and to hold higher gears longer in the cruise. I think you have to be a quite competent auto electrician to fit it! How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #18302 19th Apr 2008 9:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>