Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > repaired steering rack and now terrain response is unavaible
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
johanlr2

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
repaired steering rack and now terrain response is unavaible

hi all, I repaired my steering rack, removed it completely, and when I put it back somehow the steering wheel had moved from its original position, now when I start the engine, the dsc light comes on and its telling me that the terrain response is unavailable. when I drive it, I can feel the abs trying to work briefly. I know there are optical sensors inside the steering wheel that is causing this error, and was wondering if there is a way to set the steering wheel up in order for the terrain response to work again. my life starts where tar roads ends

Post #202167 6th Oct 2013 7:46 pm
alex_pescaru

The straightness of the steering wheel can be reset by properly adjust the tie rods lengths, as long as you put the steering rack correctly back in its position. And this has nothing to do with the TR unavailability as long as the error appears immediately you start the engine without driving the car.
Check the ABS module's DTCs. It can be one of the ABS wheel sensors that's playing ticks. The sensor and/or its connections...

Post #202169 6th Oct 2013 8:28 pm
johanlr2

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Alex, thank you so much for the quick response to my post, man I just about took my land rover apart today. unfortunately I don't have a obd scanner, and had to do everything myself..... old school way. I did indeed check all the abs sensors, jacking up the wheels spinning them and measured millivolts on each of them. put everything back together and started the engine, still the same problem.... terrain response unavailable Big Cry I then had a look on the tie rod ends, and measured them from the lock nut to the ball joint, almost the same distance. heck, by now I did not know anymore.. I then disconnected the steering rack again, and rotated the rack fully to the left and then fault to the right, counting the turns, took half of that, and set that to be driving straight. started the engine, and still the same old story..
I took it for a drive though and through a couple of turns, it gave me a display message, re-activating terrain response.. and for some or other reason its working fine now. I think it had to wait for the wheel sensors and abs module to correct the fault. the steering's nice and straight, no knocking noise from the tie-rod ends anymore, feels like n new car. funny thing I've noticed was before I repaired the rack, whenever I went over 80km/h and turn left on a long bend the dsc light came on, but I do have to admit the vehicle was pulling left and there was a lot of play on the rack and pinion, as well as the tie rod ends being worn out. according to the workshop manual, this was due to steering angle sensor and wheel sensors out of allowed tolerance.. anyways, just want to thank you and freel2.com for an outstanding service. my life starts where tar roads ends

Post #202233 7th Oct 2013 6:20 pm
PaulCopp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I have to remove my steering rack and notice you have already done the job. Did you have to remove the subframe as suggested or can it be done in situ. Any other tips greatly appreciated.

Post #284169 11th Dec 2015 7:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1