Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Photos, Videos & Media > Help with camera please - Fuji Finepix S1730 Bridge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Jimski
i started out with a Panasonic GF3. just over a year ago, its the perfect size, not like a DSLR at all, but you can changes the lens over like DSLR's think the GF is up to No6 now, but plenty of GF3's and 5's still knocking about the shops Have just upgraded to a lumix G6 which looks a lot like a DSLR but is half the size and weight

A couple of examples

GF3

Click image to enlarge

G6
Click image to enlarge

Post #198326 7th Sep 2013 7:34 pm
j77

Scotland 

Maybe not a pro Taz but I appreciate advice and comments from old hands. Thumbs Up

I know nothing about cameras so can't give much advice, haven't had much chance to try my own yet. I lucky that where I live there's a few beauty spots to go out and practice seeing rather than just looking. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #198335 7th Sep 2013 8:16 pm
taztastic

England 

I enjoy photography, getting put and seeing places, I also enjoy the editing afterwards, Toeknee recommended to try the trial version of Lightroom 5, downloaded earlier and had a quick play, this was taken last week just outside Glencoe looking towards the Ballachulish bridge. The result on the right couldn't be achieved in camera but is certainly better IMHO.

Click image to enlarge

Post #198342 7th Sep 2013 8:28 pm
j77

Scotland 

It looks a lot more atmospheric, I've always enjoyed looking at photos but never actually tried it myself other than the photos I've taken with my iphone and posted on here.

I'm off Wednesday so I will go out and about and see what I can find. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #198347 7th Sep 2013 8:37 pm
taztastic

England 

It was taken from a spot called 'Tighe Phuirt" you being a Scot, how do you pronounce this, I am generally not too bad with many Gaelic names but this one has me beat.

Post #198351 7th Sep 2013 8:47 pm
j77

Scotland 

Embarassed this is where I show my ignorance, I haven't got a clue. Only very few schools teach the language which is a shame. First Scotrail have the Gaelic place names as well as the English translation on all the station signs which is a nice touch. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #198356 7th Sep 2013 9:24 pm
frawdder

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Jimski, I was in exactly the same situation as you last week. My Fuji bridge camera packed in mid way through a trip on the Waverly a fortnight ago. Started looking at a replacement and had shortlisted the Lumix TZ40, as I was initialy looking at a pocketable camera that still had the manual functions of the bridge and this had a lot of good reviews.

After speaking to a few people and reading up a lot I ended going for a Samsung NX300 compact system camera because of the larger sensor size. It's the same type as the GF3 that Toeknee mentioned and all the manufacturers have a similar range. Last years models are available in your price range.

I have never printed to canvas or large prints but just by checking with zoom on the PC there is a lot more detail and sharpness with the larger sensor. Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to say if the quality is good enough for a small canvas.

Taz, lightroom 4.4 came with my camera and just started to use it, after a couple of online tutorials. Found it very easy to use and some good results coming from a guy that couldn't use photoshop. Thumbs Up

Not sure about Tighe but I'm sure Phuirt is pronounced like port with a 'u' , just growl a bit when you say it Smile

Post #198357 7th Sep 2013 9:32 pm
taztastic

England 

We had some friends with a farm in Acharacle, now sadly passed way, they spoke it fluently and taught me a few words and how to pronounce some things, mostly mountain names, this one has me beat though, I told the missus I was going over to 'Tig fart' which I know it isn't
It's one of those languages that needs keeping alive though as its the character of the place.

Hoping to get back up maybe around February for a few days, snow capped peaks and clear blue skies will be perfect Thumbs Up

Post #198358 7th Sep 2013 9:33 pm
Jimski

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Thanks for all the comments, really appreciate it. I'm stuck between the Lumix TZ35 16MP with spare battery for £160 or the TZ40 18MP with wifi for £240.

Here is the type of shot I like getting, this was with the iPhone one morning. Needs the wires editing out I know, but its the type of shot that I like.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2013 FL2 - Black Edition Auto
2013 FL2 - Black Edition Manual GONE!
Founder of the 'Microscopic LR Spoiler Badge Club'
Destroyer of chrome rears.....

Post #198360 7th Sep 2013 9:49 pm
taztastic

England 

The difference in MP is academic and you will see no real benefit, spare battery is a God send, do you need the wifi option, which will eat battery power?

Post #198363 7th Sep 2013 10:07 pm
Jimski

Not sure if this comparison will work but can anyone see any critical difference?? I suppose the wifi would be 'useful' but that's about it.....!

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/s_action/comp...12097.html 2013 FL2 - Black Edition Auto

Post #198364 7th Sep 2013 10:10 pm
taztastic

England 

In depth review
http://snapsort.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumi...TZ40/specs

Wifi means you can upload directly to Internet, without wifi you can get a cable and connect camera direct to phone and upload.
Interestingly the true resolution is 10MP for both cameras, so marketing hype gone mad there.

If I had a choice, get the older TZ35, for what you want it for your pictures will be the same, get a gorilla pod mount too then you can use the longer shutter speeds Thumbs Up
http://joby.com/gorillapod

Post #198366 7th Sep 2013 10:25 pm
Jimski

Thanks Taz.....sensible advice as always!! I shall shop around for the best price on the TZ35 and go from there!! Might even see what I can get for the Fuji, although I suspect not a lot!! 2013 FL2 - Black Edition Auto

Post #198368 7th Sep 2013 10:52 pm
taztastic

England 

Independents will usually take part ex.
Also keep an eye on this site, it may be a spanner in the works but perhaps worth considering, PM Toeknee for info on Panasonic stuff, he has a lot of experience with it, his earlier posts in this that are from the GF3 and I have seen some others he has taken and the quality is superb.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equi...-42mm-kit/

Post #198379 8th Sep 2013 9:53 am
Jimski

Just put in for a quote for part ex on the GF3......not entirely sure from the description and photos if it comes with a lens or not though. Looks an ideal setup, means getting into the use of lenses now ha!! 2013 FL2 - Black Edition Auto

Post #198394 8th Sep 2013 11:18 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>