Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Freelander and a twin axle caravan.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tecnamflyer

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue
Freelander and a twin axle caravan.

Hi,
We currantly tow a Coachman Pastiche 560/4 with my 2012 manual Freelader . It tows superbly with 60mph in cruise being no problem on the motorway, still doing near 30 mpg.
It tows so well and with a greater towing limit I am thinking of going to a twin axle.
Has anyone any experiance of this and if so what van and waight and what advice can you give.
Thanks,
Paul.

Post #192572 25th Jul 2013 10:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Adrian888

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

I personally will not go above the 85% level which I believe limits a 'van to around 1600kg's fully loaded albeit a Freelandy is theoretically capable of towing more weight. That must open up a variety of possibilities however given all the variables such as new/used, budget, how many berths, fixed bed, bathroom location and so on it is a bit difficult to suggest anything! One potential drawback of twin axle will be an adverse impact on economy although the stability will no doubt be improved. eh tu?

Post #192585 25th Jul 2013 1:22 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i went from a single axles Sterling to a twin axle Swift challenger sport 636

I think the twin tows really nice with the freelander, the new ATC and Suspension makes it better

My standard weight was something like 1650kg, but i had re weight to 1800kg to allow more payload due to the motor mover Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #192587 25th Jul 2013 1:34 pm
GrahamK

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Lago Grey

i am towing a twin axle Bailey pegasus GT65 Bologna with no issues at all. MTPLM 1606kg but also uprated to 1800kg for the same reasons as Npinks.

Post #192590 25th Jul 2013 2:46 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

tecnamflyer

I have no problem with a twin axle, to be honest they tow so much better and much more stable. I have managed on one occasion did the MED to calais 860 miles in 11.5 hrs with the FR2 & TA van. i found it towed at 85 non stop no problem at all and very stable but I am very careful with loading & weight distribution.
I only get about 20-23 mpg but I don't hang around & normally keep up a good 60 on a roads ! In over 20 years of vanning never had any issues.

Post #192621 25th Jul 2013 7:28 pm
si.

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

How did you go about getting a caravan replated? Our Bailey Ranger is a little short of payload...

Post #192653 25th Jul 2013 10:44 pm
GrahamK

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Lago Grey

The dealer i got it from ordered it from Bailey for me. Basically £65 for 3 stickers and a certificate !! we found that once the twin movers were on we didn't have the payload left to carry more than a couple of hankies! The amount you can get it upgraded varies from model to model. I have heard that the max weight on many vans is deliberatley kept lower than it's actualy designed for so that they can legally be towed by a bigger range of lighter vehicles.

Post #192666 25th Jul 2013 11:04 pm
ad210358

England 

True what Graham has posted, they low plate the models so they will be able to be towed by a wider range of towcars. I tried to get mine replated but Bailey informed me that 1495 was the max the chassis was rated for, I think you can get the Unicorn Valencia replated giving you around another 30kgs, for that all you get is another label and increase the psi by a few pound and your £60 lighter in the wallet, if you get caught overweight your allowed 5% which gives you 75kgs anyway and that's for commercial vehicles, the general public get a greater leeway. For a TA the upgrade makes it more worthwhile though. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #192670 25th Jul 2013 11:47 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

sounds very dodgy altering plates to suit the customer, ill steer clear of these overloaded dangerous deathtraps of the road At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #192673 26th Jul 2013 12:05 am
Hinj

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Ipanema Sand

Yes you can gat the Unicorn Valencia upgraded to 1600kg. Got mine done to offset the weight of the mover. MY 2013 TD4 XS Manual, Ipanema Sand. Cold Climate Pack, Spare Wheel, Side Mouldings, Armrest Pack, Rear Camera, Detachable Tow Bar, Spoiler.
Gone. My 2011 TD4 GS Manual, Cold Climate Pack, Front Sensors, Spare Wheel, Side Mouldings.

Post #192741 26th Jul 2013 7:43 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

mine had a payload of 233 KG before it was upgraded so no problem and done at factory.
I have always towed very light & don't carry any excess baggage and all our equipment is ultra light weight ! even glasses & cutlery & most of the upper cupboards are empty. LW gas bottle & only 1 with a 907 campingaz cylinder as back up.

As i said before when i tow the only thing on the floor is steps and hook up cable , sometimes the carpet if the weathers cold
been on weigh bridge several times & no where near limit even with TA Trauma mover

Post #192745 26th Jul 2013 7:55 pm
eggy12

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Rimini Red

Hi, i pull a bailey senator Wyoming twin with my 2010 manual with no problems on the road, very stable able to stick to 60 mph up hills. The one issue we had was trying to reverse onto a pitch uphill and round a bend, clutch did not like that. As we have a mover fitted just put it in place with that so i would say a mover is a must.

Post #212658 2nd Jan 2014 4:19 pm
Dartman the one

England 

For those interested, if you crawl underneath the van, there is a plate on the axle about centre. that figure is the limit of your re-plate or upgrade, generally an upgrade requires either an increase in tyre pressure or in some cases a change of tyre. Many continental van manufacturers will fit a higher rated axle on ordering new, not sure about the UK. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #212955 5th Jan 2014 12:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1