Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Its Help A Virgin Time!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Kola's Kab

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey
Its Help A Virgin Time!

Hi,

Thinking seriously of venturing into the caravan world for the very first time. We Viewed a van this morning and would be very grateful of all you experts opinions before going ahead. It was supplied by the dealer new, and has been serviced by them every year since.

The van in question is a 2008 model Buccaneer Argosy with an unladed weight of 1448kg ans a MTPLM (whatever that is!) of 1675kg.
It is really is in 'as new' condition, and that's before the dealer has 'serviced' it and spruced it up (as they do) for sale.

It comes with a host of extra's, really too many to mention, but to name a few, Reich motor movers, a brand new unused Dorema Daytona awning, tow hitch lock, wheel clamp110amp new leisure battery, gas bottles, and a starter pack' which novices like us really need, all useful stuff!

After some haggling and some sweet smiles (no not from me, guess who;-), the asking price is £10,900 all in with a 12month warrenty

Thanks for any help.

PS We will need to get a towbar fitted as well so any guides in that direction also appreciated! Kola is the big solid black German Shepherd, Dobbie is.......a breed you've never heard of......yet;)

Post #185486 27th May 2013 2:35 pm
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

Sounds good, but make sure you check it out for damp or have it check out for you.

Post #185494 27th May 2013 3:25 pm
Dave007

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Just a thought Kola but have you considered some towing lessons before you venture out onto the open road (and narrow lanes).

That would be high up on my priority list if I was to get in to vanning. Must admit, always fancied owning one just never got round to it. And now I've got a decent tow car I might reconsider it Whistle

There's plenty of places that do lessons and I would feel a lot more confident with those under my belt. Forgive me if your an experienced tower but imagine the look of shame and embarrassment on the families face if you couldn't even get it on your pitch once you arrived at site. Knowing mine they would be howling at me Rolling with laughter

Kids eh???????

Happy vanning........ MY2010 TD4 HSE Santorini Black, 19" Alloys, Almond Leather, Lux Pack, Rear Spoiler, Adaptive Xenons

Post #185496 27th May 2013 4:20 pm
devondave

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Stand by for CG!

Post #185501 27th May 2013 4:55 pm
Kola's Kab

Hehehehehe

If CG replies I'm gonna nick his tractor's GPS... spate of them apparently being taken on today's Lincs news (BBC); worth £16k each so that would cover all costs Wink

Seems todays farmers cant plough a straight line without one ! Kola is the big solid black German Shepherd, Dobbie is.......a breed you've never heard of......yet;)

Post #185502 27th May 2013 5:07 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Well done that man. You'll never regret it; caravanning is just the best way to holiday if you've got a family or a pet.

Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass is an important weight. It includes everything carried within the 'van whilst you're towing it. If the 'van weighs more than this then it's legally overloaded and you would be in trouble if stopped by the police. It's also important when deciding on your towcar, 'cos the 'van's MTPLM for a newcomer to towing shouldn't exceed about 85% of the kerbweight of the towcar (although this isn't a legal requirement). This is to avoid the "tail wagging the dog" syndrome that can produce the dreaded weave, especially downhill. Freelanders are ace for this because they're heavy old beasts compared to "normal" cars.

Your 'van sounds good, with everything you'll need to start off. It's at the top end of dealer prices as you would expect, and for that money I'd certainly want a good service history and a very recent damp test report. It's a high-spec 'van with a good reputation.

Check out how old the tyres are. Regardless of tread depth, 5-6 years is a good lifespan before replacement, due to degradation by being outside in the daylight all the time. Caravan punctures are things of nightmares.........

Good advice has been given on towing training but don't get uptight about it. Take things easy to begin with, especially downhill and on lefthand corners. Get a pair of decent tow mirrors (large size Milenco are highly recommended) and ALWAYS fit them before travelling.

Unless you want all the commercial facilities (bars, supermarkets, swimming pools, etc.) found on the ritzy sites, join the Caravan Club and use their sites. Always a high standard, clean, good-sized pitches, well staffed.

Good luck and enjoy yourselves.

Ron. Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #185503 27th May 2013 5:15 pm
Kola's Kab

Hi Ron,

So many thanks for a wealth of information and informative reply......ya' know, we might just go for it!

btw ..will be looking into some towing lessons too, so thanks for that Dave, good advice Kola is the big solid black German Shepherd, Dobbie is.......a breed you've never heard of......yet;)

Post #185508 27th May 2013 5:31 pm
piattj

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue
keep us posted!

Hi KK

PM me with your itinerary so I can take a different route Thumbs Up

... ...

Be true to yourself. That way happiness lies...

Post #185512 27th May 2013 5:58 pm
Kola's Kab

Hi piattj

Van In Question is (nearly) 1 mile from our home.....so no worries!

One thing I'm determined to do is..... if on a single carriageway road with a queue behind me, is to pull over and let them pass..... its their hurry, not mine! Kola is the big solid black German Shepherd, Dobbie is.......a breed you've never heard of......yet;)

Post #185515 27th May 2013 6:37 pm
piattj

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

Very Happy A true gent!

... ...

Be true to yourself. That way happiness lies...

Post #185519 27th May 2013 7:09 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

we started caravanning 25 years go & we were hooked totally ! still vanning now & just getting ready for few weeks in France again,
just make sure the dealer has good reputation and have an inspection for damp by an independent caravan consultant.
when you buy new they mostly have a 6 year warranty for water ingress but isnt the same for second owner.

You can have some brilliant holidays and touring in Europe is a must.
Towing is a doddle, soon get used to it and Our FR2 auto keeps the van trundling along at 60+ with ease & in France before lower speed limits were enforced our FR2 used to keep our outfit at 80-90mph ! and we managed 900 miles in 1 day on one occasion.
Make sure everything you buy for the van is light weight , and when you have loaded it for what you think is right take it to your local weigh bridge & have it weighed . be prepared for a shock !

Post #185521 27th May 2013 7:20 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Just got back from a field in Potto

Great weekend away, though I didn't go Friday as planned as the weather was very windy, but was there first thing Saturday morning, treated the kids to their first road side cafe too

Even in just a field the kids entertained themselves, great day out strolling the beach at Redcar, even though the wind turbines are a bit of a blot

Main thing is you live your life and weekends away as you want, go where you want at your pace, go for it, you'll enjoy it Thumbs Up

Can't give any better advice than all ready been given, caravan clubs site are usually great, well maintained and the network of certificated sites (fields for max five vans) with electrical hook up are nice and widely spread Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #185531 27th May 2013 8:05 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

quit all this vanning nonsense, just get to saalbach Austria, All inclusive mega food every night and some lovely displays what with the waitresses wearing the traditional costume
Im selling the farm and buying an Austrian hotel At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #185532 27th May 2013 8:15 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Without photos I dont believe you about the waitress Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #185533 27th May 2013 8:47 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Towing

If I am correct your FL is manual.
It might be prudent to ask forum members for advice on towing and the maximum weight that doesn't risk the clutch.
FL's seem to have a reputation for eating Clutches and Flywheels; you might be advised to select a lighter weight caravan an keep the accessories down as well.
Save the idea of a bigger van for when you change to an auto.
We tow a Bailey Senator of about 1370 kg with ease; fuel towing is about 27 with 2010 GS Auto. We use caravan club CL sites however you may need to choose carefully those sites to avoid hilly ones.
Regards from Fred

Post #185568 28th May 2013 4:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>