Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Its Help A Virgin Time!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Kola's Kab

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the info, but.........'wait till you change to an auto'.......Hell will freeze over first Laughing

Real drivers have real gearboxes ( and yes, probably face the consequences in Freeby land!)

I think driving style plays a part on the life span of any clutch, and knowing of the apparent weakness, its just a case of driving with that in mind, posts on here show some that have had no problems, towing or not! Kola is the big solid black German Shepherd, Dobbie is.......a breed you've never heard of......yet;)

Post #185595 28th May 2013 6:39 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sorry, KK - if God had meant us to drive manuals, she'd have given us three feet Thumbs Up

Auto is the way to go, as most of the world accepts. It's especially good for towing.

Left foot to stop, right foot to go. You know it makes sense................ Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #185598 28th May 2013 7:01 pm
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I was taught only to use 1 foot for an auto. Confused

Post #185601 28th May 2013 7:09 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

I get the very clear impression that the clutch problems which members here have experienced have had nothing whatever to do with wear, abuse, towing or anything else - they simply fail. Why some go at 10K miles and others do 100K without problem remains a mystery, but type of use simply doesn't seem to feature. So tow all you like - if your clutch is going to go it would have gone anyway! (Do, however, watch out for reverse - it's far too high and reversing a van up hill is best avoided, not that I've ever actually tried.)

I'd also point out that with the auto costing around £1.5K more than the manual, and drinking around £500 more fuel per year (that's around £4K over 5 years - a not insignificant amount!), you can replace quite a few clutches and still be ahead financially!

Like Kola's chauffeur, I drive a manual because I prefer it (so long as I continue to live in the sticks with very little city driving). But the FL2 really, really needs low range - are you listening Land Rover!

Post #185604 28th May 2013 7:11 pm
Kola's Kab

Hi,

Quote "Auto is the way to go, as most of the world accepts." !!!! Where does that come from?

Only maybe the Americans, and wadda they know about cars Rolling Eyes

Be happy attending your steering wheel;) Kola is the big solid black German Shepherd, Dobbie is.......a breed you've never heard of......yet;)

Post #185606 28th May 2013 7:15 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

"I was taught only to use 1 foot for an auto."

Never could quite get my head round that one. I'm an ex driving instructor, chauffeur, taxi driver, bus and coach driver. I love my riding and driving, and positively enjoy the various different uses for hands and feet when piloting buses, coaches, British motorbikes, every other geared motorbike, twist-and-go scooters, manual cars or automatic cars. Keeps the old brain active!

My wife, who normally drives either of our autos, recently had a new Renault as a loan car whilst her Beetle was being serviced. You should have heard her - "all this work to do, SIX blooming gears and a clutch! What's the point of that?"

Can't beat simplicity really - one foot to go, one to stop. Seemples Whistle Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #185608 28th May 2013 7:19 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

chrisr1806 wrote:
I was taught only to use 1 foot for an auto. Confused

If you regularly switch between manuals and autos that's the only way to do it, because whatever you might tell yourself (and us) if you use two feet in the auto you will, sooner or later, go instinctively for the clutch and screech to a halt with wheels locked! When driving an auto I always tuck my left foot up well away from the pedals so I can't do that.

Post #185631 28th May 2013 8:17 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I did the caravaning thing for 2 years (Sort of enjoyed it) No body in our family has misted it Rolling with laughter

Your freelander will tow that size of Van all day, no problems up and down hill Very Happy

We towed ours to , Fort William , Northern Ireland. North wales, Yorkshire Dale and the Lakes, We had an experience which we will never forget on most trips, the Experience's were better when the sun was shining Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
I did Enjoyed the Towing part !!! (Only got 21 to 25 to the gallon every 280 to 300 mile of towing £95.00 on fuel)
There's no joy in all the work to service the van on a daily bases (water, water waste, waste for the Loo, plus all the gas electric hook up, making you bed every day etc.) I go on holiday to enjoy and area and the people. Thumbs Up

If the truth is know and the maths are worked out, it really does not pay to caravan in the UK or abroad.
I like my Holiday abroad, in the sun and to enjoy the area I'm staying in, Not just a farmer field in the rain Rolling with laughter
Last Year we drove to Italy, France, Spain in the same trip, this year we are off to Californian all with kids)

Many on the site will totally disagree with me for many reasons Bow down Bow down
But It's your hard earned cash, Not mine,
Hope you enjoy what ever you choose, all the best Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #185646 28th May 2013 9:04 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

"waste, waste for the Loo, plus all the gas electric hook up, making you bed every day etc.) I go on holiday to enjoy and area and the people. "

We have fixed double bed so that solves that and we have pitches with all service posts & use mains water plugged straight in the van and a 10 mtr waste hose straight into an all service waste so no fetching and carrying. Simples and fab in Europe with great weather and meeting great people.

Enjoy California, we spent a month touring California & Arizona and it was great but seriously wallet bending for a family of 4 staying in top hotels and doing all the sites . We did Los Angeles , Anahiem, Calico, Vegas, Hoover dam, grand canyon, death valley, yosimitie, lake tahoe, Sacremento, San fransico, San diego, great holiday but blew serious dosh !

America has found out how to charge for parking now, 45 dollars a day in San Francisco and 20 dollars a day most other popular places !

Post #185658 28th May 2013 9:38 pm
ad210358

England 

America may have found a way to charge for parking, Luton Airport has found a way to charge also, you have to pay to drop someone at the Airport, it's only £2 but pay to drop off Shocked p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #185668 28th May 2013 10:25 pm
Kola's Kab

Hi,

Thanks JP & Oldgezzer for two contrasting but interesting replies, just the sort of debate we were after!

I can see valid points in both, and yes we were only interested in a fixed bed version!
Another factor for us is we like to holiday with our 'kids'; these kids all having four legs apiece!
So overall and as time goes on we will slowly have more 'us' time to please ourselves, we just think we might just take the plunge and go for it!

Thanks all Kola is the big solid black German Shepherd, Dobbie is.......a breed you've never heard of......yet;)

Post #185673 28th May 2013 10:50 pm
bish789

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

If it's got a motor mover fitted, then that's one of the biggest problems solved.
I went to a site and they offered me one of (if not) the best spots, but only because without a mover mover it would have been nearly impossible to put the van on it.
Did it with ease, remote control (boys toys) and got it inch perfect.
Yours has the Reich, the same as mine, and it is a godsend.
Buy it and enjoy.

Post #185686 29th May 2013 7:55 am
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

oldgeezer
I agree with you on all the hook up's it make life a little easy and we did do that at times, but not all site have them and the one that do need to be booked up 6 month in advance Thumbs Up

The trip you did, we are almost doing the same but in in the other direction (spending the last week cruising back up the coast to Frisco) spending just over 3.5 weeks doing the trip, Boy I can't wait Whistle

bish789
With you on the move's for the bigger van or a double axle or for a first timer towing ! But I have spent to long in the motor trade driving assorts. The Mid size van we had was great to tow with the freelander plus I found it easy to park almost any where !!
As I say the Towing was the best bit for me (Yorker bar on the dash board) apart from the fuel costs Big Cry

We can say that we have done it, Enjoyed some of it Rolling with laughter , but it's not for us as a family Thumbs Up
If somebody whats to pay the fuel cost etc I would Tow a van anywhere for them for them, But they pay for the Hotel for me to stay in !!!
UK weather over the bank holiday or main summer holiday in a muddy field is all yours Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Hope you all enjoy your trips this Year Thumbs Up

Post #185690 29th May 2013 8:33 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I,m blinded the view is at its best when she lights the table candle, Ive trained the kids to keep blowing out the candle Whistle

no good vanning here in Austria its absolutly stair rod-ing it down.

great kids holiday , biker fest is on all weekend in the town below, trucks and trucks full of ale keep arriving.

there a proccesion of harleys etc tommorrow should be a good watch, followed by poker and table dancing, I shall spike mrs G,s drinks and sneak out after she falls asleep
http://www.saalbach.com/en/summer/events/s...Mania.html At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #185859 30th May 2013 2:53 pm
Kola's Kab

Hi,

Well thanks for all the input, as a result well.........we've gone and done it! Deposit paid, collection 12th June!

Excitement mixed with a bit of trepidation! Will be the best thing we've ever done, or just maybe the worst, it seems there is no middle road, and only time will tell!!

One thing for sure, our future holidays will not be as much of a risk to eyesight as CG's is at the moment Razz Kola is the big solid black German Shepherd, Dobbie is.......a breed you've never heard of......yet;)

Post #185867 30th May 2013 4:53 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12