Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Potential buyer with a couple of questions.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
snerkler

chingf0rd wrote:
Been lurking a little bit, but I'm getting my MY2013 Dynamic late May - can't wait. I reckon the dark wheels look better on the Dynamic rather than the contrast ones - but each to their own.

My one will be VERY similar to this:

Click image to enlarge

I looked at the Beemer X3 and loved the 8-speed ZF auto gearbox (pull to upshift! Like in Sega Rally), but if I wanted a hot-hatch 4x4, I'd gone with the Evoque but I prefer the all-round capability of the FL2 (plus it looks nicer in my opinion).

Roll on May/June!

Ps. You can spec up the contrast wheels at no extra cost if you want...

That looks very nice indeed, hope you enjoy your purchase Thumbs Up . The build your own does not allow you to spec the contrast wheels, nor does it give the option in the brochure, but from what you're saying I assume that if you go into the dealer to order they can spec them for you?

Post #180614 17th Apr 2013 4:44 pm
snerkler

npinks wrote:
looks really nice in grey with the bodykit on

I'm tempted to look at having it added to my next car if I stay with a FL2, just I would want the extra toys of the HSE/HSE Lux

What extra toys can you get for the HSE that you can't get with the dynamic? Apart from the different style seats as far as I could tell from the build your own on the website you could put all the toys in the dynamic if you so wish? Confused

Post #180615 17th Apr 2013 4:46 pm
chingf0rd

snerkler wrote:
npinks wrote:
looks really nice in grey with the bodykit on

I'm tempted to look at having it added to my next car if I stay with a FL2, just I would want the extra toys of the HSE/HSE Lux

What extra toys can you get for the HSE that you can't get with the dynamic? Apart from the different style seats as far as I could tell from the build your own on the website you could put all the toys in the dynamic if you so wish? Confused

My Dynamic is spec'd to the max - it's pretty much a HSE Lux but with the body kit and the different seats.

Careful with the xenon lights on the web configurator - they are already included in the Dynamic Plus pack (which is pretty good value from what I can gather) so you don't need to add the extra 900+ quid for those if you have the pack.

Did away with carpets though - went for the full-on rubber Wink

Post #180619 17th Apr 2013 5:12 pm
snerkler

Unnecessary quote removed
Please use the reply button when responding to the previous post

Yeah, I don't get the carpet mats with a 'car' like this, rubber is the only sensible option imo Thumbs Up

Post #180647 17th Apr 2013 7:07 pm
EYorkshire

Oh yes, this one's ripe for the red pen Laughing

Post #180650 17th Apr 2013 7:15 pm
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Rubber mats are useful in the winter and if you have muddy feet. Otherwise, I prefer carpet mats as I think they look better than rubbers IMO. That's why I have a set of genuine LR carpet mats and a cheap set of rubber ones. The rubber ones just go on top of the carpet ones when my feet are dirty.

Post #180656 17th Apr 2013 7:25 pm
snerkler

j77 wrote:
*Fl2 has no paddle shift
*TD4 manual still has a bit of punch about it
*Manual good off road just take care with the clutch, cooked clutch often incompetence of the driver rather than the car
*SD4 does shift when pushed hard and useful for off road and towing
*Auto up shifts are forward and back for down shifts.
*Fl2 is a better overall package than the Evoque, I had two Fl2s before my Evoque and coming back to a Fl2 for that reason, value for money.
*If waiting another 12months, you would be just as well waiting for the Fl3, due 2015.

Hope this answers some questions Thumbs Up

I've been doing some more research and am wondering what makes the FL2 a better overall package? From all the reports it appears that the Evoque is slightly better off-road, although both will handle far more than I can to begin with.

I have to say that the Evoques interior does look better/more luxurious than the FL2 IMO, but does 'feel' too car-like and not 4x4 like which would put me off to be honest. The FL2 still has that 4x4 feel to it which is what I'm wanting.

Post #180918 19th Apr 2013 1:03 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

If you were to go along to a LR Experience Centre and take both an Evoque and a Freelander around the same route you'd find that the Freelander was marginally more capable, but there is not much in it.

It all depends what you want. The Evoque is more car like in its on road handling, has a more premium feel inside. The Freelander is handles more like a traditional 4x4, has a better carrying capacity and handles pretty well both on and off road.
Freelander 2 is now a 7 year old design, albeit upgraded a couple of times, Evoque is a 2 to 3 year old design.

Post #180922 19th Apr 2013 1:31 pm
snerkler

Unnecessary quote removed

Thanks. Ultimately I'm going to test drive them, but it's interesting to hear everyone's views. I am definitely swaying more towards the FL2 pre-test drive. One thing that has been mentioned is a lot of wind noise at motorway speed in the FL2. Is this something that's intrusive, or is it just people being picky?

Strange you mention the LR experience, I am going to be dropping heavy hints with my wife regarding this as a birthday present Wink

Post #180923 19th Apr 2013 2:02 pm
j77

Scotland 

The Fl2 in my opinion is the better of the two because:

*The Evoques interior looks good, but lacks in quality
*My XS that I have ordered has more on it than an Evoque of similar price
*The Evoque says Range Rover on the bonnet but it is anything but a Range Rover, you don't get that feeling that you are sitting in something special, despite the looks
*The service costs are higher than a Fl2 despite the cars vital organs being the same
*The Fl2 feels more solid as the Evoque is built with 'Eco' friendly plastics

At the end of the day you get the car that's right for you, these are just some of my observations from having two Fl2s (TD4 and SD4) and living with the Evoque for just over a year. The Fl2 is tried and tested, the Evoque is still in its infancy but I'm sure it will be improved with age. Thumbs Up 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #180924 19th Apr 2013 2:10 pm
snerkler

Thanks for this, definitely the kind of info I'm after. Good to hear from someone who's had both. In your opinion is there a lot of difference in the TD4 and SD4, and did you have the manual or auto TD4?

I'm glad you mentioned service costs, keep meaning to ask this but with my sieve head keep forgetting.
What are the service intervals and service costs (of each preferably)?
Also what is the average price for a good (non budget) set of all-round tyres (19"), or if someone can provide me with the tyre sizes I can look this up myself?

Lastly, I know Land Rovers aren't the most reliable cars on the road, are there any common and/or expensive faults with either the LR2 or Evoque?

Post #180928 19th Apr 2013 2:36 pm
Yanwoo

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Galway Green

I recently made a similar switch to the one you're considering (a smaller sportier car to a freelander). I went for the SD4 for a similar reason to you suggested - to get as much horsepower as I could so the transition would be less stark Smile

It is a completely different experience but I have no regrets. I'm really enjoying driving it. A few times on the fast twisty country lanes I've missed my old car, just can't throw the freelander around the corners quite the same! In terms of more normal use of power: overtaking or pulling into fast moving traffic I've found the sport mode to be up to the job. Had to recalibrate the gaps I pull into without affecting traffic slightly but not by that much. It's 0-60 is 8.9 seconds so no slouch.

The other thing that's caught me out a few times is the deceptive speed. In my old car when I went fast it felt fast, in the freelander it so much smoother it just doesn't feel so fast. Throw in the extra weight and I've had a few scary moments in braking!

Hope that helps. FL2 2011 SD4 XS in Galway Green

Post #180936 19th Apr 2013 3:45 pm
snerkler

Yanwoo wrote:
I recently made a similar switch to the one you're considering (a smaller sportier car to a freelander). I went for the SD4 for a similar reason to you suggested - to get as much horsepower as I could so the transition would be less stark Smile

It is a completely different experience but I have no regrets. I'm really enjoying driving it. A few times on the fast twisty country lanes I've missed my old car, just can't throw the freelander around the corners quite the same! In terms of more normal use of power: overtaking or pulling into fast moving traffic I've found the sport mode to be up to the job. Had to recalibrate the gaps I pull into without affecting traffic slightly but not by that much. It's 0-60 is 8.9 seconds so no slouch.

The other thing that's caught me out a few times is the deceptive speed. In my old car when I went fast it felt fast, in the freelander it so much smoother it just doesn't feel so fast. Throw in the extra weight and I've had a few scary moments in braking!

Hope that helps.

That's great thanks. How've you felt the steering compared to the sports car as I know 4x4's and pick ups etc can feel a bit vague. Have you noticed any issues or does it seem quite positive in terms of feedback (for a 4x4)?

What exactly does the sport button do, as sport buttons work differently in different cars? Is it just in auto mode and lets it hang onto the gears for longer, or does it change throttle response, power, suspension stiffness etc? There's not much info in the brochure, it just says it gives it a livelier performance Rolling Eyes, and I've not managed to find a pdf version of the owners manual yet.

Also, can you disable stop/start as I find it an annoying feature? On my current car there's a button to disable it, although if you have it in sequential mode it's not active anyway.

To be honest I don't think the speed thing will be an issue for me as my current car is deceptively quick when cruising, as well as having the ability to pin you back in the seat when you're giving it the beans Very Happy

Post #180941 19th Apr 2013 4:39 pm
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Referring to the stop/start:

Yes it can be turned off, there is a little button on the centre console with "Eco" on it. Stop start is only available on the manual TD4 and eD4 (2 wheel drive). Its not available on the TD4 auto or SD4 (auto).

Yanwoo, where is the sport button? (I've had my Freelander since July and I thought I had worked everything out!) Embarassed

Post #180943 19th Apr 2013 5:30 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Sport mode is available on all automatics and gives about a 10% improvement in performance by changing the gear ratios slightly. In the Freelander it does nothing to suspension stiffness.

The online users manual can be found at.

http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/vehicle/lookupForm.

Type in Freelander 2 and select which model year you want.

Eco Stop/start will save fuel each time the engine is off for longer than 3 seconds, as others stated it's only available on a manual at the moment.

Post #180944 19th Apr 2013 5:34 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>