Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Potential buyer with a couple of questions.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
snerkler

Potential buyer with a couple of questions.

Despite my lease on my current car having over 12 months left to run I am already looking at what 'car' I will get next. I have always wanted a 4x4 and I think now is the time I will move away from performance cars to a 4x4, especially considering the deteriorating condition of the UK roads, plus several harsh (for us) winters over the past few years.

I've always said to myself that when I do eventually go down the 4x4 route it will be a Land Rover and so am not considering any other brand. I'd dearly love the new Range Rover, or Range Rover Sport (when it's released), but these are a pipe dream as well outside my budget. Realistically I am giving serious consideration to the Freelander 2 (LR2) and Range Rover Evoque.

I know ultimately I have to test drive these things for myself, but in the meantime I have a couple of queries about the Freelander 2 and would appreciate some help/advice. The model I would look at buying is the Dynamic, most likely with the SD4 engine (as I want the max power available). However, I do not like full auto gear boxes and tend to use the sequential box, which I believe Land Rover call Command Shift? I've looked at numerous photos but I can't see and flappy paddles on the LR2, am I right in assuming it doesn't have them? (UK model).

If so, I assume the only way you can manually shift is via the gear lever, but again looking at photos it appears as though you push the gear lever forward to change up (+), and pull back to change down (-)? Again, am I right in this assumption? The reason I ask about this second question is that all other sequential boxes I've used are the opposite way around, ie push forward to change down, and pull back to change up. I could imagine this could cause me quite a few issues initially until I get used to the reversed box. Is there a reason Land Rover chose to have it this way?

How responsive is the box in sequential mode? Does it shift immediately when you tell it to, or does it think about it first? I've driven some sequential boxes in the past that are very slow and dim witted on down shift.

I don't think I would be happy with the full manual box as it's only available with the TD4 engine which only has 150bhp (UK). Looks wise the LR2 beats the Evoque IMO as the Evoque has a bit of a hairdressers image, so I'm hoping that I like the LR2. I've considered the Discovery 4, but I think it's a bit overkill size wise, especially considering most of the time it will only be me in the car, and we don't have children. The Defender is a bit too utilitarian for me as the car will be my daily drive. I do plan on doing some gentle off-roading, but nothing too daring, at least not at first.

Any input greatly appreciated, and sorry about the rambling Embarassed

Post #180548 17th Apr 2013 11:18 am
Budweiser

United Kingdom 

Sorry I can't help you but will be watching this thread closely as a 'newbie' and looking to purchase a nearly new LR2 for the wife. Shocked

Post #180549 17th Apr 2013 11:28 am
Donnus

Italy 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

Thumbs Up
hi there !
I cant say about the performance of an auto box...
what i can say is that i wish i had bought an auto box. The manual version has the clutch as its weak point.
Furthermore, if u ever plan to take it off road, no matter how slight, the auto is infinitely better.

all in all its a lovely car, and the most reliable Land Rover ! Wink

Post #180553 17th Apr 2013 12:04 pm
j77

Scotland 

*Fl2 has no paddle shift
*TD4 manual still has a bit of punch about it
*Manual good off road just take care with the clutch, cooked clutch often incompetence of the driver rather than the car
*SD4 does shift when pushed hard and useful for off road and towing
*Auto up shifts are forward and back for down shifts.
*Fl2 is a better overall package than the Evoque, I had two Fl2s before my Evoque and coming back to a Fl2 for that reason, value for money.
*If waiting another 12months, you would be just as well waiting for the Fl3, due 2015.

Hope this answers some questions Thumbs Up 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #180557 17th Apr 2013 12:23 pm
EYorkshire

I have the SD4 and a very nice car it is, you won't be disappointed by the power and will be impressed by the torque in both the TD4 and SD4 for such a heavy car. Thumbs Up

I believe the reason LR decided to change up or down in command shift their way is because everyone else is wrong, I can see the logic in it.

As for the changes, it is fast enough (and immediate in my eyes) to keep it smooth for me and suitable for the type of car it is. With you coming from 'sporty' cars this may not be so if you are expecting similar to that, only a road test will tell you.

The down changes in 'Auto' can be unwanted at times but on the whole it is a smooth well spaced gearbox, and on rural roads I prefer 'Sport' mode where it hangs on to the gears longer.

Post #180560 17th Apr 2013 12:33 pm
snerkler

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful. In understand your comments regarding the TD4 still having some power, but my current car is a 4.0l V8 producing 414bhp so I want to minimise the power reduction as much as possible. That being said, the torque figures are very similar.

I know that the Freelander will be a totally different kettle of fish to what I have now and it's not all about power, speed and agility, and I am genuinely prepared for that. However, if you can have the extra power then why not Wink I will take the manual out though to see for myself.

As for the gear box direction, it does seem back to front for me. When you accelerate the momentum forces you backwards and so it seems logical (to my brain) that when you accelerate the natural way to go up the gear box would be to pull back. Likewise under braking your momentum is thrown forward and so it seems wrong to move the gear stick in the opposite direction. A small point I know, and sure something I'd get used to and wouldn't have put me off buying one I wouldn't have thought. Is there any reason they didn't put the flappy paddles in too?

Interesting about the Freelander 3, I've not seen anything about this anywhere. However, if it's not out until 2015 it's going to be too late for me as my car will have to go back before then. As it's on lease I can't hang on to it longer. Also, I don't think I'll be able to afford a new one. I've always leased or bought on PCP finance in the past so never actually owned the car, but next time I'm thinking about buying straight finance so have something to show for it at the end. Obviously this means I will have to run around in something considerably cheaper fora number of years Thumbs Up

I am interested to find out about the Freelander 3 though, is there anything semi official about this, or is it all hear-say and speculation at the moment in terms of what it will looks like etc?

Post #180577 17th Apr 2013 1:48 pm
j77

Scotland 

Just speculation at the moment regarding info on the Fl3, there is a few photos out there of an odd looking Evoque shape test mule which is supposed to be the new car out testing. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #180578 17th Apr 2013 1:59 pm
snerkler

j77 wrote:
Just speculation at the moment regarding info on the Fl3, there is a few photos out there of an odd looking Evoque shape test mule which is supposed to be the new car out testing.

Thanks, just had a look on google. It does appear to look like a elongated Evoque which I'm not sure is a good thing to be honest, I like that Land Rovers look a bit (or in the Defender's case a lot) utilitarian. I'm sure there's plenty of alterations yet though Thumbs Up

Post #180580 17th Apr 2013 2:21 pm
EYorkshire

Strange how our logic differs because to me going forward and accelerating also means the 'stick' going forward to progress and back to slow down. Now this could be because up until I bought this car, I had never driven an 'Auto' in my life and sort of accepted this way was the only way. Smile

As you say the Freelander is partially utilitarian and to be honest 'paddles' would be out of place on the car, yet in place on the Evoque.

Sadly I think the new car due in 2015 will lose it's well known features/looks and become 'soft', I hope I'm wrong.

Post #180582 17th Apr 2013 2:31 pm
snerkler

EYorkshire wrote:
Strange how our logic differs because to me going forward and accelerating also means the 'stick' going forward to progress and back to slow down. Now this could be because up until I bought this car, I had never driven an 'Auto' in my life and sort of accepted this way was the only way. Smile

As you say the Freelander is partially utilitarian and to be honest 'paddles' would be out of place on the car, yet in place on the Evoque.

Sadly I think the new car due in 2015 will lose it's well known features/looks and become 'soft', I hope I'm wrong.

It'd be boring if we all had the same logic Wink

I do find it strange though that they don't offer both, ie paddles and gear lever. The downside with paddles is that in certain circumstances it's awkward to change gear ie when you have a certain degree of lock on, therefore with the Evoque I can imagine times when you could get caught out. Fortunately my current car has both so you can quickly move your hand to the gear lever if the paddles are awkward. Initially I thought it might be something to do with it being 4x4, but then I checked with X5's and they are back to shift up, and forward to shift down. The only other strange gear box I encountered was my mate's C63 AMG, you pushed it left to change down and right to change up Confused

I'm sure it's just what you get used to though Thumbs Up

Post #180585 17th Apr 2013 2:48 pm
snerkler

Oh, one other question. Why do the brochure pics and official release video of the FL2 dynamic show it with the 19 inch ten spoke diamond turned alloys with contrast paint, yet you can't spec these wheels up on this model, you can only put the ones on with the dark finish? I think it looks much better with the contrast wheels.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #180592 17th Apr 2013 3:10 pm
chingf0rd

Been lurking a little bit, but I'm getting my MY2013 Dynamic late May - can't wait. I reckon the dark wheels look better on the Dynamic rather than the contrast ones - but each to their own.

My one will be VERY similar to this:

Click image to enlarge

I looked at the Beemer X3 and loved the 8-speed ZF auto gearbox (pull to upshift! Like in Sega Rally), but if I wanted a hot-hatch 4x4, I'd gone with the Evoque but I prefer the all-round capability of the FL2 (plus it looks nicer in my opinion).

Roll on May/June!

Ps. You can spec up the contrast wheels at no extra cost if you want...

Post #180600 17th Apr 2013 3:57 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

looks really nice in grey with the bodykit on

I'm tempted to look at having it added to my next car if I stay with a FL2, just I would want the extra toys of the HSE/HSE Lux Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #180611 17th Apr 2013 4:31 pm
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Welcome to the forum. Smile You will find many helpful and friendly people on here. Regarding the auto box, I have an SD4 which I love. I find that the gear changes are very smooth and the car has plenty of power.

Talking about wheels, these are my favourite:

Click image to enlarge

(My car)

I think that they look great on all of the FL2 models including the Dynamic. This is because, I'm not a fan of the diamond spoke alloys, I don't like black/grey wheels IMO.

Chris

Post #180612 17th Apr 2013 4:31 pm
greengiant

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

chingf0rd wrote:
Been lurking a little bit, but I'm getting my MY2013 Dynamic late May - can't wait. I reckon the dark wheels look better on the Dynamic rather than the contrast ones - but each to their own.

My one will be VERY similar to this:

Click image to enlarge

I looked at the Beemer X3 and loved the 8-speed ZF auto gearbox (pull to upshift! Like in Sega Rally), but if I wanted a hot-hatch 4x4, I'd gone with the Evoque but I prefer the all-round capability of the FL2 (plus it looks nicer in my opinion).

Roll on May/June!

Ps. You can spec up the contrast wheels at no extra cost if you want...

That looks like Beadles in Sidcup, bought my car there Thumbs Up 09 FL2 HSE auto Lago Grey
71 Triumph Stag 3L
68 NGTCV8 3.5L

Post #180613 17th Apr 2013 4:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>