Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > What did you do in your FL2 today?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 109 of 131 <123 ... 108109110 ... 129130131>
Print this entire topic · 
NeilTD4

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Yes, a new starter is on the cards, especially as it's still under warranty from the supplying garage.

Post #416546 1st Jan 2022 1:06 pm
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Fitted a PowerfulUK facelift tailgate handle. Sweaty palms when you start drilling the tailgate and had to "persuade" the chrome trim to stay in place, but very happy with the result.

Click image to enlarge

Also attacked a couple of my swollen nuts. I won. Eventually.

Click image to enlarge
 Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #416558 1st Jan 2022 7:34 pm
NoDo$h

XTRONS PQS70DLRL fitted this afternoon.

Still to do:

1) Connect the reverse camera (I have connected the cables at the Head Unit end)
2) Check the dim-on-headlights function as it doesn't seem to trigger from the loom adapter. I'll take a trigger from the illumination feed to the hazard switch cluster if it turns out I've misunderstood what the ISO adapter can/can't trigger from the factory head unit. There is an Illumination stub cable so I'll check which pin that goes to. Ironically ran out of light while thinking about this.
3) Tweak the UI/Launcher
4) Fettle audio settings as the XTRONS DSP seems to "flatten" the sound a bit compared to simply plugging the phone in to the AUX circuit. I'm assuming tweaking some levels in the onboard processor will resolve that
5) Find a permanent home for the GPS puck - currently in the glovebox and picking up location fine from that, but shall likely place it top of NS windscreen or on the black section behind the mirror, centre screen.
6) Tweak the physical fixing of the unit as it's slightly off centre and the lower part of the screen sits back a touch behind the facia, leaving around a 1mm gap
7) Find a screen protector, as I managed to pull off and bin the one installed at factory not realising it was.... a screen protector. Laughing

Android Auto fired up a treat, much faster than on my 2020MY C-Class which can be a bit hit / miss on launching. Current driveway contents:

Post #416878 9th Jan 2022 7:59 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

NoDo$h wrote:
Fitted a PowerfulUK facelift tailgate handle. Sweaty palms when you start drilling the tailgate and had to "persuade" the chrome trim to stay in place, but very happy with the result.

Click image to enlarge

Also attacked a couple of my swollen nuts. I won. Eventually.

Click image to enlarge

Love your reg! Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #416894 10th Jan 2022 9:26 am
3landertwo

...... but sadly ..... illegal ....... £100 fine and possibility of DVLA revoking the plate.

remember you are only the 'custodian' of the plate, no matter how much you paid for it , it does not belong to you.

Post #416895 10th Jan 2022 9:32 am
NoDo$h

Had it displayed with that spacing for 14 years without issue, including entering certain sensitive sites where, let's just say, they pay attention to vehicle details and occupants.

Agree, the spacing is incorrect, but as discussed with a colleague on one of said sites, there's been no attempt to hide or disguise with the font and anyone asked to recall it in the event of an incident would more likely remember that than the correct spacing

Oh, and ANPR reads it fine

So yes, I could get a slapped wrist. But unlikely. Current driveway contents:

Post #416898 10th Jan 2022 10:33 am
Joncorry

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Orkney Grey

Started pulling off parts so I can remove the engine…

Click image to enlarge

here’s why

any handy how to guides on the FL2 engine removal greatly appreciated 👍

Post #416904 10th Jan 2022 1:35 pm
RPoul87

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Removed the remaining bits of the Salisbury plain around the tank, straightened out the tank / exhaust heat shields and put in the flatdog tank guard on Sunday. Not a nice job to do with a hangover but will avoid the butt clenching when going over big ruts! Corrado VR6 Mystic Blue - Gone
Freelander 2 Orkney Grey

Post #416946 11th Jan 2022 5:00 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

While crossing the Mendips yesterday on B3134/3135 an old Mercedes van pulled out in front of me, from a farm gate. As it picked up speed I noticed that it was blowing a bit of oil smoke.

This led to a discussion with my wife that, unlike 'the good old days' (when daily oil consumption was common) it was now quite unusual to see modern vehicles burning oil.

As the van settled down at about 50 mph the oil smoke ceased, and we carried on following for about 5 miles or so.

We then came to a dip and kink in the road, and as I eased off (rather than brake last minute) the van carried on and disappeared around the corner. After the bend, although it was uphill, I quickly resumed my cruising speed, and closed on the van.

I then noticed the effort of the hill and regaining speed was causing the van to smoke again.

Click image to enlarge

As we started down the slope on the other side (still at about 50mph), a couple of large puffs of blue/black smoke, made me start to slow to avoid smoke.

Click image to enlarge

Then an almighty large cloud of steam erupted right across the road and blocked my view. Having lost sight of the van, I stopped very quickly,

Click image to enlarge

only to find myself completely enclosed in the steam cloud, and subsequent 'white out' front, back and sides, and thus unable to safely move.

Click image to enlarge

I have reviewed this on my front and rear dash cam, and the 'white out' lasted for just under a minute, although it seemed much longer and the oil fumes/steam was coming into the car.

The steam suddenly cleared and I could see a had in reality several car lengths in front and behind thanks to us all driving and a reasonable distance apart.

Click image to enlarge

As someone was with the van driver, I then decided my priorty was to get moving open all the windows and get some fresh air in.

That was our excitement for the day. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #417053 13th Jan 2022 9:01 pm
janderson41

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

2010 FL2 HSE auto
Having now had my FL2 for over 6 months i am getting used to it.
It replaced my 2002 D2 auto. Starting to be unreliable, although i still miss it
Anyway, because of Covid not getting a lot of use. So, at least once a month i go for a reasonable drive of about 50/60 miles.
.Plenty of different routes from where i stay in Renfrewshire.
Today i drove over to Balloch, then up Loch Lomondside to the military road over to Faslane.
For those who know it that is some road. Car behaves perfectly. Still thinking of D2 and expecting some noise, clatter or whatever but nothing.
Lovely and comfortable to drive.
Had the engine oil/filter changed and a good health check when i purchased car.
Before MOT at end of March i intend to do a complete service to the car to give me a straight line to work from.
As i just turned 80 i expect this to be my last car so wish to keep it good.
Just my thoughts. Car is great and look forward to end of Covid restrictions to be able to head up north again.
Look after your FL2,s as not a lot out there to compare. Jim A
Fl2 HSE 2010 auto
Disco 2Td5 auto 2002 gone
Disci 1 300Tdi auto 1996 gone

Post #417130 15th Jan 2022 6:41 pm
NoDo$h

NSF wheel bearing replaced after a lot of swearing. I managed to wind the new one in a fraction too far and so couldn't get the insertion plates from the wheel bearing tool out from between the hub and the knuckle. Slept on the problem and set at it again this morning and was able to ease the bearing back out a fraction, just enough to get the plates out. Won't make that mistake again!

Also fitted the front flaps from the set I got from Tuff Rok. I'll do the rear ones next weekend when I'll also be putting the Evoque rims and 255 60 R18 WildPeaks on.

Current driveway contents:

Post #417155 16th Jan 2022 5:43 pm
StuM

United Kingdom 

@NoDo$h I've been looking at them Tuff Rok mud flaps but unsure about how they attach, I guess they must be properly secure?

Post #417420 21st Jan 2022 6:13 pm
768will

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

Replaced tailgate gas struts. 10 minute job but hole in my thumb where the screwdriver slipped. Embarassed 11 GS Bali Blue
07 GS FL2. Usually muddy. Gone
Numerous LRs since 1963

Post #417455 22nd Jan 2022 4:32 pm
NoDo$h

StuM wrote:
@NoDo$h I've been looking at them Tuff Rok mud flaps but unsure about how they attach, I guess they must be properly secure?

Some fairly hefty self-tappers into the wheel arch liner for the front ones, with an "L" bracket to support the lower part. I didn't get around to fitting the rear ones yet as got diverted to other jobs; they have a more substantial bracket but haven't even read the instructions for those yet!

From the looks of it, the self tappers will do the job. When I rebuild the front suspension later in the year I will pop the wheel liners out to remove all the mud and do any remedial/preventative rust work and and may put some rivets through with some decent size washers instead. Current driveway contents:

Post #417464 22nd Jan 2022 6:47 pm
NoDo$h

So what diverted me from fitting the rear flaps?

Why, swapping out the inlet manifold for a flapless one of course! What else to do on a chilly January Saturday?

Took my time looking at the new one and using that to work out the best angle of attack on the lower two bolts. After that I just got stuck in to taking off the acoustic cover and inlet pipe, injector harness, fuel pipes and filter, EGR pipe, fuel filter housing and fuel filter housing support bracket. Started first press of the button, which was nice! Current driveway contents:

Post #417466 22nd Jan 2022 6:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 109 of 131 <123 ... 108109110 ... 129130131>