Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Finance & Insurance > :shock: Just Asked Direct Line About Adding A Spoiler
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
taztastic

England 

I think a lot depends on which plonker you get in the call centre.
I haven't had a problem with DL, even claimed for a new windscreen which is heated and they never flinched, nor did it affect my premium at renewal.

Post #166449 7th Jan 2013 11:07 pm
ccsnet

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

@taz.... sorry.... habit

@oldgeezer I think I will look around... as I forgot to check the back of the car been so busy with the kids it may have one and therefore be standard kit so no issue.... B-)

T Terran

'The' Car For The Modern Day UK Roads ( ie all the pot holes )

'A Freelander that leaks oil is just marking its territory' - Wise words

Now a member of the FL2 'Silly Bill' Club

Post #166473 8th Jan 2013 1:43 pm
piattj

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

Might be useful to start a sticky post where we can document specific experiences:

Insurance company (name them!)
Quality of customer service
Competitiveness of insurance quote
Attitude to (eg) modifications
Attitude towards (eg) winter tyres
Experiences in the case of a claim
etc...

... Might be more useful than having to scour the forum for insurance stories...

... ...

Be true to yourself. That way happiness lies...

Post #171312 11th Feb 2013 7:21 pm
taztastic

England 

It is a good idea in principle, however, the standard and quality varies greatly across and within the same company, I have never had an issue with DL, others won't go near them.

I think a sticky wouldn't provide the information your looking for, the current situation will suffice, yesterday's quote is out of date, if the weather changes so do quotes.

Post #171315 11th Feb 2013 7:41 pm
Wilco44

England 

Churchill charged me an extra £60 for my rear spoiler, which I thought was steep, but all the other extras I had put on they did not charge anymore. Disco 4 HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey
Gone FL2 MY13 XS TD4 Manual Orkney Grey

Post #171333 11th Feb 2013 8:48 pm
Dave007

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Purchased my 09 HSE last month (Main Dealer) and it came with 19" wheels fitted. Cost me an extra 50 pound to change insurance policy from old car to the FL for the 4 months remaining - 30 of that was for admin purposes.........is paper really that expensive???
Anyway, presume these wheels were fitted at build from the factory as an option but should I tell insurance company about them? If I did'nt know better I could presume these were standard fit and play dumb. Not sure what the 09 HSE standard fit wheels were back in 2009 size wise but doubt they were 19" ones???
Also want to fit the usual mud flaps, side steps, mirror caps etc but after reading some of the horrific hikes in premiums on here for the same mods, that is now debatable. After all - like a previous poster said, I have spent a BIG chunk of cash on my pride and joy and am mearely trying to preserve its value and condition with the accessories and protect the insurers "risk". I wonder how much of a hike 10 pound spats would attract???

Any advice greatly received

Post #173419 27th Feb 2013 1:10 pm
Andy Jeff

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

My FL2 SE came with the sports body kit (which includes the lip spoiler). I was with Direct line when I got it and told them it had the kit and that it was an add on for the SE model. They said if it was a dealer fit kit and not fitted at the factory (and I couldn't prove either way) the premium would be 'adjusted'. Needless to say, the quote went through the roof! I'd been with direct line for years, but dropped my relationship with them there and then. I ended up with Land Rover Insurance who were cheaper than the Direct line quote before I told them about the sports kit. Land Rover insurance said that if it was a standard Land Rover kit whether it was fitted by the dealer or factory it would add nothing to the cost of the policy.

As a foot note, when I later got shunted from behind, Land Rover Insurance were fantastic to deal with and though I got a cheaper quote this year from Admiral I stuck with Land Rover because of the service I had received.

Andy.

Post #173422 27th Feb 2013 1:48 pm
ccsnet

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Spats - been thinking the same my self. To my mind as the spoiler came on the car as I didnt check it fully on the demo day ( kids ) is not a mod and looks like the origonal part.

Spats on the other hand are not but I think they increase the safty having experinced the water coming over the wind screen at night for the first time.

As some have said its just a way to get money but in other respects your been penalised for looking after the car and in some cases protecting it.

T Terran

'The' Car For The Modern Day UK Roads ( ie all the pot holes )

'A Freelander that leaks oil is just marking its territory' - Wise words

Now a member of the FL2 'Silly Bill' Club

Post #173424 27th Feb 2013 1:50 pm
j77

Scotland 

Just checked my insurance policy with Hastings and it states on it 'all cosmetic and performance enhancing modifications must be declared unless fitted by manufacturer as optional extras' so I guess I will be ok as my spoiler has been selected as an option. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #178514 2nd Apr 2013 8:15 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Landrover insurance asked if I had any additions when I renewed my insurance a few days ago. I said only factory & or dealer fitted bits like the Chrome side tubes, roof rails, mud flaps, custom coloured paintwork, 20" alloys......Result = That is fine Sir!! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #178668 3rd Apr 2013 11:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12