Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > shoudl I have got a code on a bit a paper with my key fobs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
shoudl I have got a code on a bit a paper with my key fobs?

'Cos I didn't.. Question '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #12766 8th Jan 2008 1:52 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I don't remember getting one with mine. Only code I got was for the anti-theft locking wheel nuts as they are individual to each vehicle. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #12768 8th Jan 2008 2:10 pm
scotster

Is it registered with LR against the chassis/vin number then? '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #12769 8th Jan 2008 2:12 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I would imagine that any info for the fobs would be on a Land Rover database either at the dealer from where purchased or on a central database so that all dealers can access it. A call to your dealer would answer the question fully or failing that, our site sponsor could enlighten us Bow down ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #12770 8th Jan 2008 2:16 pm
scotster

Ill ask next week as I'm at Charles Hurst in Park Royal. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #12771 8th Jan 2008 2:18 pm
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

UKdave104 wrote:
I would imagine that any info for the fobs would be on a Land Rover database Bow down

Doesn`t that phrase fill you with dread?
Someone (with the know-how) sees your car and notes the Vin no. (visible externally of course). Then accesses the database and gets a key programmed appropriately. Easy isn`t it!
Thank goodness it`s not on a government database.
Why do I not feel better though?
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Sad Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #12781 8th Jan 2008 4:19 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
No!

No, not really Nicam.

As LR is a successful commercial organisation I would expect that they have reasonable security on access to that data, and a tracking system that records who does access which bits and when. So any rogue employee trying this is very likely to be identified. Shame the Civil Service (and their extremely expensive IT consultants) seem to settle on somewhat lower security standards! Evil or Very Mad

If such a plot did happen, and you did lose your car as a result, then I guess you'd make a large insurance claim; not worth losing too much sleep over.
Razz Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #12782 8th Jan 2008 4:30 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 
Re: No!

Nick Jan wrote:
No, not really Nicam.

As LR is a successful commercial organisation I would expect that they have reasonable security on access to that data, and a tracking system that records who does access which bits and when. So any rogue employee trying this is very likely to be identified. Shame the Civil Service (and their extremely expensive IT consultants) seem to settle on somewhat lower security standards! Evil or Very Mad

If such a plot did happen, and you did lose your car as a result, then I guess you'd make a large insurance claim; not worth losing too much sleep over.
Razz

you would have thought that, but i have heard of this happening (but something inside tells me i have been watching too much CSI:Miami Shocked ) Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #12788 8th Jan 2008 5:59 pm
scotster

I wish I could share your trust in the IT security and governance of large successful companies Nick. Rolling Eyes

Having worked in IT for several such Financail Services companies over the years I often see the share holders interest taking priority over security. I have not yet worked in a company where one of many people who worked in IT could have not walked out the door anonymously with thousands of customer records.

There are plenty of high profile examples of big successful companies loosing or exposing your data.

And consultants are expensive who ever hires them..

..so I don't think its entirely fair to say it is more of a gov.org issue. Neutral

Like you say - I don't loose sleep over any of it! Life is just too short. Very Happy '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #12789 8th Jan 2008 6:05 pm
charlie

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

This does happen unfortunately.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article3019039.ece TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

Post #12800 8th Jan 2008 8:32 pm
Nick Jan

Yeah ok

Yeah ok Charlie ...... but as the article says they were a sophisticated gang, and used more subtle methods than just reading a manufacturer's database. If they are gonna try that hard, I guess they will often succeed ..... back to insurance claim.

On the point made about govt IT no worse than commercial organisations ...... well I too have extensive experience in IT in the Financial Services sector. Whilst its true that there have been a few news worthy IT security lapses in commerce, I don't think many companies flout systems security measures as well as UK Govt agencies do. I guess I was also thinking of the wider topical point about £billions of taxpayers cash being squandered on failed or abandoned Govt agencies IT projects ....... a bit of a digression come to think of it! Embarassed
 Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #12803 8th Jan 2008 10:26 pm
scotster

I have to agree with you on the brilliance of gov.org to royally cock up expensive IT projects.
They always seem to be on the cover of Computer Weekly!

Anyway..we are getting off topic.

Maybe we shoudl leave the final word on the subject to Jeremy Clarkson? http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/07/cl...backfires/

Thumbs Up '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #12807 8th Jan 2008 11:39 pm
Nick Jan

Yes Scotster .. someone told me about Clarkson's gaff only yesterday ..... can't help but grin though!! Laughing Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #12811 9th Jan 2008 1:52 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

scotster wrote:

Maybe we shoudl leave the final word on the subject to Jeremy Clarkson? http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/07/cl...backfires/

Too funny Rolling with laughter

And worrying at the same time.

Post #12817 9th Jan 2008 11:29 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1