Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > What is the maximum tire size for LR2 with 18 inch rims?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Brian27 on here has 20" project kahn wheels and they have 275's fitted with no other mods except different rims, and as Project Kahn is a UK company and Brian lives in the UK the top of the tyre edge is not allowed to stick out from the fender.

Check out this thread where it's being discussed.

Post #12634 5th Jan 2008 1:17 pm
EdSnow

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Hello to all! I have yet to pick my FL2 up...its at the dealership and I'm collecting on the 21st March. Nice 08 plate!
Have been reading Freel2.com for weeks.. in fact you all helped me to decide to go for one. I too have been researching tyre upgrades. I’m looking at the General Grabber AT2's 255/55/18

I was originally going to go for the 255/60/18 to rise the profile slightly, however both of my local dealers have advise me not to. Apparently they have to change the ECU settings for different size wheels and tyres, but they only have 5 different settings from Land Rover HQ.

The solution is to 255/55/18, which keeps the same rolling circumference as the 235/60/18 which mine will already be set for.

As you have already discussed the 255 being a wider tyre does potentially cause you issues. Remember whilst it is 20mm wider this is only 10mm either side.

I think the tightest spot will be between the rear shock absorber strut and the tyre. This to me only measures 12mm at the moment, potentially leaving a very small 2mm gap after the change. This may be too tight I’m yet to find out, which is why I’ll be making up some small 1mm and 2mm spacer plates to bring the rear wheels out only very slightly.

And to cover one last point which you bring up, this solution should not cause the tyres to over hang your arches either.

If anyone gets round to it before can you let me know. Freelander 2 XS 2.2 TD4 Met Black, with Winter pack, 18" alloys with General Grabber AT2 wellies, MANTEC Sump and Tank Guards

Post #14898 28th Feb 2008 6:02 pm
chicken george

welcome EdSnow, excellent colour choice even if I say so myself Wink

Post #14899 28th Feb 2008 6:08 pm
mikello

Canada 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Nazca Sand

EdSnow wrote:

I think the tightest spot will be between the rear shock absorber strut and the tyre. This to me only measures 12mm at the moment, potentially leaving a very small 2mm gap after the change. This may be too tight I’m yet to find out

Have you had a chance to install 255/55 tires? Have you had any issues?

Post #16082 18th Mar 2008 5:23 pm
EdSnow

I have been working closely with two local dealers, and the forum sponsor on this. I have not yet fitted them, as there is some concern within the camp that I would actually invalidate the warranty. eg any drive train fault could be argued that it had arrived due to increased levels of grip etc etc the this of excuses could be endless!

So for now I am sticking with the factory fit tyres, and hope that the forum sponsor can get us all a definitive answer from technical as to whether or not it will actually invalidate the warranty or not.

Customer care are no use on this subject. They said it might invalidate the warranty, not it would or it wouldn’t, and that if I change that I was best to stick with the standard factory fit profile of 235/60/18.

As I see it this leave Pirelli Scorpion AT’s or Goodyear Wrangler AT’s as the two options. However their wear ratings are not a patch on the General Grabbers. Hence I’m sitting tight for now in the hope that Land Rover technical give the go ahead for the 255’s!

I hope this helps. Drop me another line if you think I can be of any further use…..I have spend hours and hours and hours on this topic, and that just today! Thumbs Up Freelander 2 XS 2.2 TD4 Met Black, with Winter pack, 18" alloys with General Grabber AT2 wellies, MANTEC Sump and Tank Guards

Post #16085 18th Mar 2008 7:05 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

EdSnow wrote:
I’m looking at the General Grabber AT2's 255/55/18

I was originally going to go for the 255/60/18 to rise the profile slightly, however both of my local dealers have advise me not to. Apparently they have to change the ECU settings for different size wheels and tyres, but they only have 5 different settings from Land Rover HQ.

The solution is to 255/55/18, which keeps the same rolling circumference as the 235/60/18 which mine will already be set for.

Question Question What is the point of putting wider tyres on a FL2 Question Although its a great car, it will never compete with the cornering properties of my ex-BMW. I would have thought the boy-racer image would dissolve when one gets behind the wheel of a LR Question

The standard sizes of 235/60 R18 for summer use and for winter the best is no doubt 215/75 R16, just as LR advise Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #16086 18th Mar 2008 7:10 pm
EdSnow

The point is not to improve its road ability. I have motorbike to go quickly! It is to improve its visual appearance, and more to the point its OFF road ability. The General Grabbers AT2’s have a great 50/50 split in performance for on/off road use, and a wear rating as good as the BFG, and they do it in a size (255/55/1Cool that might just fit on the FL2.

Where did you get this advise " The standard sizes of 235/60 R18 for summer use and for winter the best is no doubt 215/75 R16"?????? Freelander 2 XS 2.2 TD4 Met Black, with Winter pack, 18" alloys with General Grabber AT2 wellies, MANTEC Sump and Tank Guards

Post #16087 18th Mar 2008 7:23 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Keep on the case EdSnow Thumbs Up

A "might" response from customer services is a cop out, keep going all the way to the top if you have too

A manufacture should be able to give a definitive YES or NO answer

Although I suspect that they will say NO as its easier to say that than worry about any further implications Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #16088 18th Mar 2008 7:31 pm
chicken george

wide is good

Post #16096 18th Mar 2008 7:58 pm
AndyC

chicken george wrote:
wide is good

Now you are talking CG Whistle - They use em like that in Iceland (where they need em) Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #16097 18th Mar 2008 8:25 pm
Adrian

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Sumatra Black

Hi all, does anybody have any idea what sort of change could be made to the ECU regarding wheel/tyre size? I have changed our 17" wheel 235-65-17 tyre for 18" 235-60-18 tyre; as best as i could find out these only have a few mm circumfrence difference. I'm just puzzled why the ECU would need to know , of a wheel size change, unless these settings are if you fit non standard size wheels/tyres.
Regards.
Adrian

Post #16106 18th Mar 2008 11:27 pm
AndyC

EdSnow wrote:
The point is not to improve its road ability. I have motorbike to go quickly! It is to improve its visual appearance, and more to the point its OFF road ability. The General Grabbers AT2’s have a great 50/50 split in performance for on/off road use, and a wear rating as good as the BFG, and they do it in a size (255/55/1Cool that might just fit on the FL2.

Where did you get this advise " The standard sizes of 235/60 R18 for summer use and for winter the best is no doubt 215/75 R16"??????

These are the sizes that are quoted as max. and min. in the owner’s handbook; however 235/55 R19 is now also offered as an alternative presumably for town SUV’s.

In Norway where we often drive in deep snow conditions for 4-5-months of the year it is general knowledge that narrower tyres give better traction in deep snow than wide tyres, and presumably the same rule would apply to driving in deep mud Question . Therefore here we all have two sets of wheels/tyres. Norwegian LR dealers seem to offer the 215/75 R16’s for winter use either fitted with or without studded tyres, but of course it is possible to use larger sizes (with winter tyres) particularly if most driving is done in towns.

I can’t quite understand your reason for needing even wider tyres to improve its road ability (which is pretty good with standard sizes) as this will probably effect the fuel consumption some, and off road, I would have thought would be detrimental to its driving ability (see above). As for improving its visual appearance, and presumably this will be for town use Question - well you can’t beat the 10-spoke Chrome Shadow Finish with 235/55 R19’s for looks and without the hassle of fitting wider tyres Thumbs Up . 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #16108 19th Mar 2008 8:25 am
AndyC

Just re-found the website for Loder1899 Rolling Eyes

It seems it is possible to fit 255/55-18 Pirelli/Conti on a Freelander2 Thumbs Up
In fact using larger wheels/tyres up to 265/35-22 with 40mm offset Shocked Shocked
Check this link:
http://www.delta4x4.de/uploads/156-2--2008...1_P_VK.pdf 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #16113 19th Mar 2008 9:58 am
Steves' fl2

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The sat nav even wants to know when you renew your tyres,

I assume its to allow for the thicker tread Rolling Eyes Remenber, Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, love truely, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile.

Land Rover Freelander 2 TD4 HSE (Auto)
Gorgeous Stornoway with Ebony &
Side Steps

Post #16182 19th Mar 2008 8:53 pm
mikello

Canada 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Nazca Sand

EdSnow wrote:
As I see it this leave Pirelli Scorpion AT’s or Goodyear Wrangler AT’s as the two options. However their wear ratings are not a patch on the General Grabbers. Hence I’m sitting tight for now in the hope that Land Rover technical give the go ahead for the 255’s!

I hope this helps. Drop me another line if you think I can be of any further use…..I have spend hours and hours and hours on this topic, and that just today! Thumbs Up

I do not like Conti CrossContact UHP that come standard on LR2 because they are not good in snow and they are simply terrible on ice and I have spent a lot of hours doing a research myself. So far the results are quite discouraging - there are no good tires (All season and A/T, specifically) in 235/60/R18 size and there are no 17" rims with 5x108 bolt patterm that would have a proper max load (I was thinking about changing rims as an option).

I have come up with three options so far:
1) Nokian WR S.U.V. which seem to be All-Season tires and they come in 235/60/R18 size.
2) 255/55/R18 tires (Pirelli Scorpion ATR, for instance). It is not clear if they are going to fit OK and if it is not going to affect car warranty.
3) there are some good 235/65/R18 tires but they are 1" taller than 235/60 so it is a question of warranty and possibly need to reprogram the onboard computer.

Tough choices I must say...

Post #16326 22nd Mar 2008 6:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>