Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Buying guide for Freelander 2?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Buying guide for Freelander 2?

I'm considering buying a FL2 and I have a test drive arranged for Monday, at a LR dealership in Sussex.

Aside from reading through loads of threads and other websites, I have not found a Freelander 2 independent guide to help potential buyers.

As all the cars on a forecourt are cleaned and touched up before being displayed, the uninitiated have no way of knowing how the previous owner(s) treated the car before trading it in at a dealership.

1. What are the things to look for?

2. Are there any commonly known issues to ask about and to look for?

3. What would you say to a LR dealer to ensure a good purchase and price and how would you say it? For example, the way I see it is if a car is advertised at £20,000, the dealer probably paid around £2,500-3,000 less for it (£17,000), after hopefully ensuring it wasn't a complete pig in the first place. Then they checked it out in a workshop and valeted it. So what profit margins are they working to and what's a reasonable haggle? What would you expect a dealer to drop the price to?

4. Is there anything you would advise me to say or anything I should insist upon before sealing a deal? Any extra guarantees I need to get? For example, the car I will be test driving is of ex-LR management stock and does not have a spare wheel but instead has a tiny pump thing, in a massive spare wheel well. Is it acceptable to ask for a spare wheel in this case or would you go for something else, like 12 mths road tax and a full tank?

I'd like to see a really well written guide specific to the Freelander 2.

Thanks for reading this and for sharing. Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #152340 25th Aug 2012 9:51 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Not sure what age of FL2 you are looking for but if it is from a LR dealer it will either come with the remainder of the 3 yr warranty or an additional 12 months which should cover any odd occurences

The FL2 is a good reliable car with few 'things to watch'. If you want an independent review there is always the question of who is independent...you can bet many motoring journalists/websites have personal preferences/allegiences

Look for LR service history. You should have more concern about buying a ringer which is the same for any make/model..than anything specifically wrong with the FL2

Buying in the summer will get you a better deal than buying when there is snow on the ground...unless of course you are trading in???

Dealers need to make a profit...if you have reasonable attitude and are prepared to put you money on the table you will get some discount or freebies..if you're a pain in the arse customer they will wait for a nicer customer.

It is a purely personal choice of what is of value to you as to what you'd like to be bundled in? a free service...a full tank...a spare wheel...an off road experience...what would you prefer????? It's your car after all

Have a look through the forum you'll find plenty of useful tips..and don't forget the search function.

Post #152341 25th Aug 2012 10:05 pm
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Many thanks for replying Richard. Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #152347 25th Aug 2012 10:40 pm
dunroof

Thumbs Up

Post #152348 25th Aug 2012 11:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1