Home > In Car Electronics > Removing the cubby..etc
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
b_o_b_o

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e Sport Manual Lago Grey
Removing the cubby..etc

Hey Guys.

I've searched and found existing threads on wiring a Garmin Nuvi (even found some LR instructions in somebody's gallery) but I've never dismantled a dashboard before.

I've got myself a Garmin 2595 which is a perfect fit for my cubby. I don't want this to be overly complicated but just wanted to route the cable out the back of the cubby somehow rather than it hang out the front. I've heard about using the F5 fuse in the glovebox but I'm not sure I'm up to that either.

Is it possible to just run the cable out from behind or the side of the cubby then I could plug it in to the cigarette lighter? Then any visible wire can be tucked away neatly from under the glovebox to the cigarette lighter.

Really impressed by some of the retro fit pictures. Amazing.

Post #151798 21st Aug 2012 12:39 pm
taztastic

England 

You can drill a tiny hole, just big enough for the cable and/or plug, down in the bottom right hand corner of the cubby, best do it by hand so you dont damage anything behind, its only thin plastic so easy enough.
Pass the wire through the hole and from the glovebox, feel around up the back of the dash area and you should be able to get hold of the wire without removing anything. Once you have located the wire it is up to you where you power it from, F5 is easy to get to from there.

Paul

Post #151801 21st Aug 2012 1:09 pm
b_o_b_o

taztastic wrote:
You can drill a tiny hole, just big enough for the cable and/or plug, down in the bottom right hand corner of the cubby, best do it by hand so you dont damage anything behind, its only thin plastic so easy enough.
Pass the wire through the hole and from the glovebox, feel around up the back of the dash area and you should be able to get hold of the wire without removing anything. Once you have located the wire it is up to you where you power it from, F5 is easy to get to from there.

Paul

Thanks. Do you mean the bottom left hand corner (which is nearest to the glovebox) rather than the bottom right?

Post #151808 21st Aug 2012 2:23 pm
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Yeah, I would say that Taz meant bottom left ie: nearer to the glovebox. That way it'll get covered up with the plastic tray if you decide to take the GPS out.

If you can find a long enough cigarette lead (to place into the cars existing 12v socket) then I'm sure you'll be able to find a way to tuck it under the glovebox when not in use.
Just make sure it's long enough so it doesn't pull out the socket at the back of the GPS!

Failing all that. It is quite simple (and cheap) to buy a 10amp fuse with a fly lead, a female 12v socket, switch and an earth lead and have everything tucked away behind the glovebox Very Happy

Post #151810 21st Aug 2012 2:51 pm
b_o_b_o

AiiEEX wrote:
Yeah, I would say that Taz meant bottom left ie: nearer to the glovebox. That way it'll get covered up with the plastic tray if you decide to take the GPS out.

If you can find a long enough cigarette lead (to place into the cars existing 12v socket) then I'm sure you'll be able to find a way to tuck it under the glovebox when not in use.
Just make sure it's long enough so it doesn't pull out the socket at the back of the GPS!

Failing all that. It is quite simple (and cheap) to buy a 10amp fuse with a fly lead, a female 12v socket, switch and an earth lead and have everything tucked away behind the glovebox Very Happy

Thanks. I need to build up my confidence first. The thought of drilling a hole in my dash scares me. Has anyone got a picture showing the location & size of the hole needed in the cubby for me to go off? I don't want to make a pigs ear of it.

Post #151814 21st Aug 2012 3:56 pm
b_o_b_o

Found this. This is probably what would suit me. Now where's my drill?

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic2528.html

Post #151821 21st Aug 2012 5:01 pm
taztastic

England 

Laughing yeah bottom left, nearest glove box, if you get right in the corner the rubber mat will hide the hole, I was picturing it from behind.....just like so many things....been a long day Laughing

Post #151823 21st Aug 2012 5:19 pm
b_o_b_o

The charger cable has an antennae thing within the cord which wouldn't fit a discreet hole so maybe I should get a USB Mini-B Extension Cable and run this from the cubby to the glovebox?

Would this be 5 pin do you know?

Post #151834 21st Aug 2012 6:48 pm
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

I used a hole-saw to drill quite a large hole in the cubby (maybe as big as 50mm) since it would get covered by the rubber mat if I take the unit out. You can see that I can get the antenna for the traffic stuff through the hole in my picture here https://www.freel2.com/gallery/displayimag...&pos=0

Also, I found that a standard USB extension would put the GPS into PC Connection mode. There must be a different number of cables in the official garmin charger.

Cheers,
Whytey 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #151879 22nd Aug 2012 3:53 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

I just cut the cable, pushed it through one of the existing small holes and rejoined. But be warned - there are THREE wires, one of which is incredibly thin, and they all need to be joined.I also bought a spare cable from Amazon first, just in case! It would be neater to put a cigar lighter connection in the glovebox - see the recent post in "Modifications" about fitting a TomTom.

Post #152202 24th Aug 2012 5:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1