« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Continental 4x4 M+S tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Kal-El

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
Continental 4x4 M+S tyres

Unfortunately the collection has been delayed because the transfer documents aren't back yet from the DVLA. Perhaps they used the sorting office on Pluto Evil or Very Mad

Fingers crossed for Tuesday collection. So I have a couple of questions about the continental tyres that it comes with.

1: How are they day to day for noise levels, smoothness and grip etc?

2: How are they in snow? I am looking at buying winter tyres anyway (any recommendations will be happily received)

Roll on collection day Thumbs Up 60 plate SD4 XS, Stornoway Grey, Arm rest pack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly--gT1RJdk

Post #151411 17th Aug 2012 7:53 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

tuesday! youll be lucky, it takes forever to transfer numbers At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #151413 17th Aug 2012 7:58 pm
Kal-El

chicken george wrote:
tuesday! youll be lucky, it takes forever to transfer numbers

He posted them last Monday and he claims they will definitely be back for Tuesday. Pain in the ar Censored e all this waiting Big Cry 60 plate SD4 XS, Stornoway Grey, Arm rest pack

Post #151415 17th Aug 2012 8:04 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I can't comment on continental tyres as I have goodyear wranglers but where winter tyres are concerned, many are happy with vredestein wintrac 4 extreme but I have some Avon Ranger Ice ready for October onwards.

My tyres are referred to by many names but they were placed on the forum blacklist and should not be uttered Laughing

Those in the know have explained how at temps of 7C or lower, summer tyres (M+S to a lesser extent) will become hard and lose their grip with the road. Winter tyres are resistant to this and also have a wider tread that clears of snow faster. They are superb and some claim that a FWD car with winter tyres is better in snow than a 'soft roader' 4x4 on summer tyres (Nissan Juke perhaps).

Here is a link about mine: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic10276.html LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #151421 17th Aug 2012 9:16 pm
athelstan

Kal-El
Cannot comment on Continental M&S tyres.

I can however thoroughly recommend (as do the Swiss, German and Austrian motoring organisations) for winter driving conditions the specifically engineered CONTINENTAL CROSS CONTACT WINTER - size: 235/65/R17 108H EXTRA LOAD (per tyre 1,000kgs) for the FL2.

This is a high performance winter tyre so don't expect to pay Vredestein or Avon prices for them. They've been fitted to her Ladyship's FL2 from new each winter with this coming winter being their 4th tour of duty. Apart from delivering the very best grip, braking, stability and traction in the worst of what these Swiss alps can throw at them, they are quiet in motion and wear very well indeed.

If you choose these tyres do note that they must be fitted with the correct side on the outside - yes they are marked with an idiot label "inside + outside". For full technical specification just Google Continental UK.

Post #151446 18th Aug 2012 10:09 am
noodle42

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Bali Blue

I have had Continental Contact 4x4 M+S on my FL2 since new and they've been fine in the snow in the last couple of Winters around my way. Mind you I only got around 20,000 miles out of my original set and so replaced 3 and swapped in full the size spare for around £500. This was before a Summer holiday in France where they expect a minimum of 3mm tread and I was mighty close to that...

Last edited by noodle42 on 21st Aug 2012 5:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #151464 18th Aug 2012 1:56 pm
Kal-El

Thanks for that. I will browse prices of winter tyres in any case.

The good news is that the documents have arrived at my house so I am now the registered keeper of both cars. The dealership is just waiting for the tax disc to arrive so I can collect and hand over the V5C for my existing car in the process.

The salesman says I can collect on Tuesday afternoon because the tax will have arrived by then Very Happy 60 plate SD4 XS, Stornoway Grey, Arm rest pack

Post #151492 18th Aug 2012 5:46 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

We have been suppling the Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme to many F2 customers for a good few years now with no problems and keep them in stock all year round.

Your Continental Cross Contact are poor in snow and cold conditions.

You could always look at an All Terrain tyre which will tick most boxes and you can run them all year round with no problem.

Always happy to discuss tyre choice, onlt a phone call away. Thumbs Up Andy.
www.ajstyres.co.uk www.ajs4x4.co.uk
J8 M25 SURREY
01737 241370

Post #151885 22nd Aug 2012 7:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Reeventu

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

I read shed loads of information on tyres when mine needed replacing and found that most replies were biased because they had already been purchased and few people like to be wrong in their judgement.

Tyre suppliers were all biased towards what they had abvailable or could obtain quickly , and I suggest those which gave the best margins.

I considered winter tyres and did the sums compared with the likely use. In the south of England the weather rarely becomes that bad and if it does will I need to venture out for that day or two.

I accept that some of us need to travel every day regardless , I used to do that, but not now.

In the end I replaced the tyres with those originally fitted , Pirelli Scorpion, which had in all truth worked fine for me.

Also when I didd an experience day I noticed that car was also on the same Pirelli Scorpion.

My logic is that LR want to put on the best tyres for their vehicles based on a compromise of various uses , that is what their experience and data shows.

The cost cannot come into it as I am sure thay will get a very good deal regardless of manufacturer.

Anyway thats my three pennyworth.

Post #151889 22nd Aug 2012 8:58 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

I agree with most of your points but as an independant tyre supplier we earn the same % out of whatever tyre we supply.

We do find that where we are in Surrey lots of customers have other requirements as regards tyre choice etc, some travel over the channel for holiday homes, sking and other reasons.

We have quite a few running Winter tyres all year round as they don't want to change back and forth.

We will always ask the customers requirements and do our best to put them on the best tyre for them. Thumbs Up

Been in the tyre business for well over 25 years now and have lots of happy customers. Andy.
J8 M25 SURREY
01737 241370

Post #151890 22nd Aug 2012 9:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Reeventu

AJS4x4 , I hope you did feel my ' margin' comments were aimedspecifically at you at you, it was a general comment based on information received from my local supplier who fitted my tyre and I have used for many years.

He price matches the likes of Micheldever tyres and comes to fit at my workplace or home , at no extra cost , saving me fuel and time.

As I did not ask for alternatives, he remarked that a similar tyre could be cheaper, cheekily I said ' and give you a better margin'. Smiling , he did agree that was possible. I know him well enough for that exchange.

I also fully understand that the 'compromise' tyre does not suit everybody and that some will certainly require an alternative , better suited fot their application.

Regarding fitting winter tyres all year, I did post on this site sometime ago a written reply from my insurer( not broker) regaring the use of winter tyres all year.

IMO that letter made it quite clear to me that they would consider the tyres fitted if they were considered to be inappropriate for use and could contribute to an accident. The jury maybe open on that but my decision was not to go down that route.

The fitting of a . summer or all weather tyre , as supplied by the manufacure could not IMO cause any dconcerns

Post #151891 22nd Aug 2012 9:33 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

With respect......also using summer tyres in winter could contribute to an accident, I know what I would be happier to drive on all year round. Thumbs Up Andy.
J8 M25 SURREY
01737 241370

Post #151892 22nd Aug 2012 9:50 am
Reeventu

I accept that view but my insurers did not endorse it. Perhaps other insurers are more understanding ?

Unfortunatley would only become an issue if you need to make a claim and tyre condition (type) was relevant.

A risk I felt unwilling to take

Post #151893 22nd Aug 2012 10:01 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Very much depends on your insurance company as you say.......most important is load and speed rating.

Don't forget some insurers will increase your priemium if you pass wind at traffic lights, if you let them know in advance that is. Rolling with laughter

Insurers should understand that fitting winter tyres in the winter is added safety so should not increase your premium but some do, but it does depend on who you speak to, the same as some insurers have no problem with winter tyres in the summer.

Lots of confusion on this and will be untill we go the same direction as some of Europe. Neutral

As I have said many times, a good All Terrain tyre does for me on all my 4x4's Thumbs Up Andy.
J8 M25 SURREY
01737 241370

Post #151895 22nd Aug 2012 10:36 am
Reeventu

Fully agree with you ( except on the all terrain Wink )

Post #151896 22nd Aug 2012 10:38 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>