« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > xenon conversion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
brian27

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black

shar wrote:
Hi all , if you have a one of these conversions done, now bear with me its a woman thing is there anything that can go wrong i know there only lights but i have read somewhere that these bulbs have melted the plastic on the headlamps on some makes of car and could this conversion affect your warranty Exclamation i asked my hubby he just said don't be daft and i was hoping for more of an answer than that really Neutral

hi shar
as far as melting lenses goes i would doubt it very much because xenon bulbs are only 35watt which is 20 watt less than the standard bulbs so if anything there will be less heat generated
now as for warranty i think it would vary between different dealers just your luck i suppose

i have xenon conversions in all my vehicles
freelander2 since june 2007
suzuki gsxr 600 since september 2006
mercedes vito since september 2006 (this van has done 60000 miles with no problems) 2007 fl2 narvik black ,chrome mirrors,side steps,tinted windows,20" kahn wheels,6000k xenon conversion,black leather,garmin nuvi satnav,silver vision indicator bulbs,clear side repeaters.

Post #10388 20th Nov 2007 11:57 pm
brian27

npinks wrote:
shar wrote:
Hi all , if you have a one of these conversions done, now bear with me its a woman thing is there anything that can go wrong i know there only lights but i have read somewhere that these bulbs have melted the plastic on the headlamps on some makes of car and could this conversion affect your warranty Exclamation i asked my hubby he just said don't be daft and i was hoping for more of an answer than that really Neutral

I have to admit i have thought about the diference in heat generated by the xenon convertion

If they are 300% brighter, does it mean more light = more heat? Discuss Idea

300% brighter is due too a different type of gas
the actual bulbs are only 35watt thats 20watt less than standard so less heat 2007 fl2 narvik black ,chrome mirrors,side steps,tinted windows,20" kahn wheels,6000k xenon conversion,black leather,garmin nuvi satnav,silver vision indicator bulbs,clear side repeaters.

Post #10389 21st Nov 2007 12:01 am
wildrover

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Indus Silver

If you pardon the pun, i must be missing the thread here or maybe i'm just an old f*rt.
Now i don't drive our (actually, it belongs to mrs wildrover) FL2 all that much, but she tells me the headlights are pretty bright as they are. If one wanted to increase the brightness, why go to all that trouble, and the expense, when you could fit the Philips Vision (50%), X-treme (80%) or the Osram Night Breaker (90%) much easier, with no modification and a fraction of the cost? Out with the old (2007 SE)
In with the new (2012 Dynamic with everything). Now also gone.

Post #10424 21st Nov 2007 5:41 pm
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Wildrover, I agree completely. Because I was used to a company car with Xenon, I ordered those on my FL2 as well. By mistake the new car came without Xenon lights and I got the choise to take it or leave it and wait another 4 months to get one with Xenon lights. So I started to look on the internet if Xenon lights are really that advantageous. One of the comments I found is worth to mention: "You need Xenon lights only if at night and on secondary roads, you drive much harder than allowed."

I think it's true. I took the car as it was, with halogen bulbs and after 5 months I admit I don't miss the Xenon's at all.

If you buy a car with slit-eye lamps, there is certainly an advantage to go for Xenon lights but the big lamps as fitted on a Freelander ? Good enough unless... see above.

Post #10425 21st Nov 2007 6:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
brian27

wildrover wrote:
If you pardon the pun, i must be missing the thread here or maybe i'm just an old f*rt.
Now i don't drive our (actually, it belongs to mrs wildrover) FL2 all that much, but she tells me the headlights are pretty bright as they are. If one wanted to increase the brightness, why go to all that trouble, and the expense, when you could fit the Philips Vision (50%), X-treme (80%) or the Osram Night Breaker (90%) much easier, with no modification and a fraction of the cost?

the buibs you have listed can cost you upto £30 a pair and are not a patch on a xenon conversion
for me personally they are no trouble fit as im an auto electrician and it takes less than an hour to convert
at the end of the day everyont to there own but for me £75 very well spen Mr. Green t 2007 fl2 narvik black ,chrome mirrors,side steps,tinted windows,20" kahn wheels,6000k xenon conversion,black leather,garmin nuvi satnav,silver vision indicator bulbs,clear side repeaters.

Post #10427 21st Nov 2007 7:04 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

For £30 on ebay

Osram NightBreaker's and can get a FREE set of one of the best known XENON EXTREME WHITE upgrade sidelight bulbs available on the market today. These will give you a crisp white xenon look to match the Night Breaker bulbs.

haven't a clue what his on about by it FREE Exclamation Exclamation

Is it H7 that the FL2 takes? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #10446 22nd Nov 2007 12:15 am
cotefarmboy

United Kingdom 

Alternative is to buy the complete Xenon lamp units from Land Rover and plug 'em in, works properly and looks the part too. Expensive mind you.

Post #10448 22nd Nov 2007 12:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
brian27

npinks wrote:
For £30 on ebay

Osram NightBreaker's and can get a FREE set of one of the best known XENON EXTREME WHITE upgrade sidelight bulbs available on the market today. These will give you a crisp white xenon look to match the Night Breaker bulbs.

haven't a clue what his on about by it FREE Exclamation Exclamation

Is it H7 that the FL2 takes?

yeah mate it takes h7 bulbs 2007 fl2 narvik black ,chrome mirrors,side steps,tinted windows,20" kahn wheels,6000k xenon conversion,black leather,garmin nuvi satnav,silver vision indicator bulbs,clear side repeaters.

Post #10449 22nd Nov 2007 12:40 am
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Who says that Xenon bulbs generate less heat than H7 bulbs due to its lesser (35W) power consumption?
On the contrary, Xenon bulbs generate extreme heat to be able to melt the mercury inside the bulb.
So when you convert your headlamps to Xenon, you must look after proper ventilation and heat-resistant surrounding.

YF

Post #10453 22nd Nov 2007 7:01 am
brian27

yamaha-fan wrote:
Who says that Xenon bulbs generate less heat than H7 bulbs due to its lesser (35W) power consumption?
On the contrary, Xenon bulbs generate extreme heat to be able to melt the mercury inside the bulb.
So when you convert your headlamps to Xenon, you must look after proper ventilation and heat-resistant surrounding.

YF

to be honest i dont care how much heat is generated wether it is less or more the bottom line is they do NOT melt the lenses and they are very good lights Thumbs Up
this post was made to show people there are options for aftermarket xenon conversions IF they want to spend the money and do the modification if not that is up to them ,it was not made to create an argument about heat or any other issue Big Cry 2007 fl2 narvik black ,chrome mirrors,side steps,tinted windows,20" kahn wheels,6000k xenon conversion,black leather,garmin nuvi satnav,silver vision indicator bulbs,clear side repeaters.

Post #10463 22nd Nov 2007 12:32 pm
pmcg

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I agree with Brian. Some of you are far too up your own b.... Live and let live.

Post #10472 22nd Nov 2007 6:24 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

On the heat issue I wouldn't worry, as I've been running a xenon kit on my A3 for around 2 years without any special modifications.......

Having converted from halogen to xenon, and now driving many rental cars with halogen bulbs I can safely say xenon makes a world of difference. It is not simply the fact that the light is more intense it is the colour which simply makes things clearer, and with this makes me less tired when driving at night, due to less strain on the eyes.......

The other part of xenon lamps is that the bulbs last significantly longer than halogen, but are more expensive.

One thing to bear in mind with kits that are offered is that they will probably state not legal for road use (in the UK), but also the UK requires auto-leveling and washers for xenon lamps.....but it seems that as long a sthey are not too blue then there will be no issues.

Post #10479 22nd Nov 2007 9:32 pm
brian27

pmcg wrote:
I agree with Brian. Some of you are far too up your own b.... Live and let live.

well said mate i think i like you Bow down Thumbs Up 2007 fl2 narvik black ,chrome mirrors,side steps,tinted windows,20" kahn wheels,6000k xenon conversion,black leather,garmin nuvi satnav,silver vision indicator bulbs,clear side repeaters.

Post #10481 22nd Nov 2007 10:22 pm
shar

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

I wish i never asked now boys................no falling out... Rolling Eyes

Post #10482 22nd Nov 2007 10:38 pm
brian27

shar wrote:
I wish i never asked now boys................no falling out... Rolling Eyes

im glad you did ask shar as for me that is the main reason for having forums like this but some ppl just like to be akward.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 2007 fl2 narvik black ,chrome mirrors,side steps,tinted windows,20" kahn wheels,6000k xenon conversion,black leather,garmin nuvi satnav,silver vision indicator bulbs,clear side repeaters.

Post #10484 22nd Nov 2007 11:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>