« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Which Satnav ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
wheatonshunter

Netherlands 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Tonga Green

Hi Uk Dave,

Have a look at the Garmin Nuvi 750/760 series: no flip up antennea, many routes plannable, multiple Via's on one route.
Nice, bigscreen!

Wheatonshunter

Post #9114 29th Oct 2007 8:50 am
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Just bought the TomTom 720T. Was going to get a garmin 770 but the TomTom just won out.

+ Voice recognition (that works apparantly)
+ Traffic alerts through the more reliable method of downloading via your blue tooth linked phone via GPRS.. Costs for data and £30 subscription with TomTom so I will try the free TM TMC method first (which it also has)
+ Can record your better halfs voice so that the instructions are the instructions of your true love....
- Its more expensive (than a 770) and doesnt come with as many goodies like a case.

It may look not quite so good as the nuvi in the hole as it has bump on top. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #10151 16th Nov 2007 9:45 pm
Goldstone69

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

scotster wrote:

+ Can record your better halfs voice so that the instructions are the instructions of your true love....

Just to confirm this was a reason to BUY this model tomtom Shocked Whistle assume your not married or 'just married' then Laughing

Post #10152 16th Nov 2007 9:51 pm
scotster

The better half drives the car 5 times more than I do so..... I intended to record MY voice with some bits thrown in like

"Turn sharp right - AND DON'T labour the engine trying to pull out in 4th"

"You have arrived - Now watch the alloys when you park up" etc.

Smile '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #10175 16th Nov 2007 11:42 pm
Goldstone69

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Rolling with laughter Nice one Thumbs Up

Post #10198 17th Nov 2007 9:33 am
StevenA

Scotland 

Scotster,

Does the TT720 fit inside the cubby hole with all cables connected, or do you just use a windscreen mount for it Question

Quite fancy one of these myself as it can be used for handsfree calling and also for Ipod integration with full control (From what I have read anyway Rolling Eyes )

i was not sure if it would be better to get one of the older 710's as they are slightly smaller and have the connections at the back, but if the 720 fit's then that would be a better solution.

Thanks for any info,

Steve

Post #10221 17th Nov 2007 3:20 pm
scotster

Steve.

Heres another negative for the 720.

It doesnt fit with all the cables coming out the bottom! Doh!

If you remove the rubber mat (as many people do to fit the sat nav) the unit fits in PERFECTLY with no cables. The small hump on the top I think makes it taller than the Nuvi 6XX's and garmin 710 and it actually pushes perfectly into the hole and holds nice and snuggly without the need for any mounts. Thats a big plus. It removes equally as easily.

BUT as I said the usb mini connector (provides power) protudes about 5mm below the unit. Its an L shaped connector so it exits facing back.

SO.. If you only want to put power in then you could cut a small hole in the bottom of the 'hole' 1cm by 1.5cm say and the connector could sit in there with the cable ether going down behind the fascia to tap into a 12vdc power supply somewhere or back out the hole and into the fag lighter socket.

"Cut a hole screamed" the wife! Well - it is covered by the rubber mat when you put it back and there are actually already two holes cut in for the rubber mat lugs.

There could be a problem if under the hole casing there is metal or something tight up against it which would prevent me threading cables up from the bottom near the front.

Can anyone advise on teh clearance under the hole where the sat nav should be???

Now. If you want to use the audio jack out on the tomtom and/or the TMC aerial these also come out of the bottom. Meaning that you would have to cut an additional hole (both jacks are very close - no point in cutting two) and hope for around 15mm of clearance underneath to allow the audio or TMC jacks to protude down.

Sounding messy? I actually think that this could work very well IF there is some clearance unnder the hole casing. It would effectively mean you have a max of three cables coming up through the bottom of the hole casing aboyt a 1cm in from the edge.

When connecting the unit you simply switch it on. Connect the leads in the bottom, push the bottom of the unit in and hopefully there is enough clearance for the jack plugs to go down into their cut holes and the unit will snuggly sit in.

There would be NO cables whatsoever visible and NO mount required. With the nuvi you may have cables coming out the side (I think).

You could of course choose not to use the FM TMC RDS service and use the better(but paid for) GPRS down load via your phones data service. And you could use the built in FM transmitter rather than an audio out jack. This would just leaving you having to make just one small hole for the usb connector and power..if you dont want to run if off the battery.

I think the unit is ace. Been playing with it today. Voice recognition actually works and recording your own voice instruction is amusing...for now. Smile

Anyone know my question about how much space under the 'hole' near the front. That could be make or break as I do want to fit the audio out jack rather than rely upon the FM transmitter.

I can take a photo of how the unit fits in if you want. If there is room under the hole casing I may have it all in bits next weekend!

S. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #10243 17th Nov 2007 9:28 pm
joe1978

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

I'd be interested to hear how you get on scotster. I'm in two minds which one to get garmin or TOMTOM

joe MY11 Fuji white Td4 150 GS straight up no mixer.

Post #10297 19th Nov 2007 12:38 pm
StevenA

Scotland 

Scotster,

I have had a quick look on Cypress's gallery as he has some photo's of his console in bits.

Looks as though you should be ok if the connections are at either side of the unit's bottom as there is a plastic clip in the centre of the console as shown here -

Also seems that the basic audio does not use a speaker under the centre cover which means that this could be used for an external gps antennae which would then be covered up by the speaker cover (If needed due to GPS receiver being hidden). away.

Cypress has a few other photo's in his gallery which might be helpful to fit the cables. Bow down

Cheers,

Steve

Post #10299 19th Nov 2007 1:26 pm
scotster

Thanks Steve.

I didn't see that on Cypress's photos. Must take another look. The plastic clip 'may' interfere with the usb connector. Others should be fine. The usb connnector is shallow and you can actually wedge the unit in with that connected but it doesnt look as good. It also acts as a pivot... you could say that its not as stable but you could also say it acts as a nice swivel feature. Smile

You can get an external antenna on ebay for a tenner so I will get one - under the centre speaker grill is a great idea!

I intend to hard wire the audio out jack to the aux input without occupying the 3.5 mm jack near the power outlet. the challenge will be to find where the current aux jack runs to at the back of the audio unit and to tap into it without screwing up the cabling and/or connectors.

Ill take some photos tonight of how it could look (look no wires!) and a picture of the unit with the wires coming out of the bottom so that you can see the challenge.

The unit has been a delight so far but you should visit : http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?...m&f=93

to make a more informed judgement and waste another hour of your life. Wink

S.
S. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #10306 19th Nov 2007 1:48 pm
StevenA

Scotland 

Well if it's wasting hours of our life that you are after, here is another little link for satnav unit info:

http://www.yournav.com/forum/

Thumbs Up

Cheers,

Steve

Post #10308 19th Nov 2007 1:52 pm
scotster

And I'm sure you will like splash screen two posted here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?...mp;start=0 '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #10309 19th Nov 2007 2:00 pm
scotster

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?...956#359956

See above for a cautionary tale. Had to send 1st unit back. 2nd one is fine...so far.

Ill post piccies when I get around to fitting it. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #10677 26th Nov 2007 8:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12