Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Calling International Rescue - Again!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Calling International Rescue - Again!

Well Land Rover Assist again, actually. SWMBO reversed out of our parking shelter this morning, started to turn and, she thinks, stalled it. It wouldn`t restart - she tried all the normal procedures (Press button, key out, in. press button etc etc.) No Joy.
Since last time it happened I`ve carried a 10mm battery wire remover with me, but, as it was Sunday and I didn`t have to be anywhere special, I called LR Assist. They turned up in an hour and did the battery lead off trick - but it still wouldn`t start! He then noticed that the car had some steering lock applied and he forced (jiggled) the steering wheel whilst putting the key in. The Steering lock came off and the car would then start.
He said there was a memo circulated from LR stating that if some steering lock was applied, the steering lock pin could not be moved by the unlock motor, which then logs a fault and stops the car starting. I realise this a bit like jiggling the wheel whilst turning the key in a conventional car - but the Freelander 2 isn`t conventional, and nowhere does it mention the need to do this. It looks like the unlock mechanism is not fit for purpose.
He also went through the whole fault log (impressive interrogation software I must say) and I have all the fault codes noted - just wait till I see the dealer next and he says "There`s nothing logged"
So there you have it - A Freelander2 won`t start unless its wheels are straight!!!!! Quality!!!!!!!! Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #10620 25th Nov 2007 6:20 pm
wombat

United Kingdom 

I've not had that problem yet and I always park overnight with the front wheels nearly fully right. But... I have seen the steering wheel sometimes jump/vibrate on starting. (auto by the way)

Post #10671 26th Nov 2007 7:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1