Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Towbars
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
muddywheels

England 
Towbars

Sorry if this has been asked before but...... Embarassed

I want a towbar for my FL2 but being a cheapskate who does not tow often and seeing the big reduction in offroad departure angle when one is fitted..... I was wondering if anybody has a swanneck or fixed type..... is it possible to unbolt the towball arm/swanneck when not needed instead of forking out for a detachable type Question

I would appreciate any thoughts Smile

Post #8778 19th Oct 2007 2:12 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have a fixed tow bar, twin electrics, and they seem to be held to the main towbar frame by a couple of bolts.

I have a picture on my phone, but don't know how to put pictures on this site.

I'll see if i can find out, could send you picture message if you pm me your mobile number

Post #8780 19th Oct 2007 3:08 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Pictures in my Gallery

Post #8781 19th Oct 2007 3:33 pm
muddywheels

England 

Thanks npinks Bow down

Looks as though should be easy enough to remove when towbar not needed. Thumbs Up

Shocked Picture of damaged vehicle looks bad! I once crashed a Mondeo into a barn and it looked the same!

Post #8782 19th Oct 2007 3:45 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

that what you get when the wife parks it on the road out side your house and somebody in a transit van drives into it.

Moved it back 8ft and back end was over my small garden wall.

lucky nobody was in it Exclamation

But the main thing is I got my FL2 SE instead after it was written off Thumbs Up

Post #8783 19th Oct 2007 4:40 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I have a factory fit swanneck, the cheapest dealer fit option. I'm not sure if the restriction in off road departure angle is really an issue. Car got through some pretty extreme conditions at Tong a couple of weeks ago, the two bar didn't cause any problems, ask Carlfraz he was behind me most of the time. The swanneck is removable by taking out a couple of bolts, but i'm really not sure youy would have to.

Post #8790 19th Oct 2007 8:23 pm
The Villager

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Towbars

muddywheels wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked before but...... Embarassed

I want a towbar for my FL2 but being a cheapskate who does not tow often and seeing the big reduction in offroad departure angle when one is fitted..... I was wondering if anybody has a swanneck or fixed type..... is it possible to unbolt the towball arm/swanneck when not needed instead of forking out for a detachable type Question

I would appreciate any thoughts Smile

I had a swan neck towbar with twin electrics fitted by my dealer cost £380 plus vat
Problem I had was with towbar fitted it wouldnt fit the garage, solved this by removing 6 bricks at back of garage, now good fit using rear sensors. ( I must patent this brainwave!!!) Laughing David

Post #8801 19th Oct 2007 10:16 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

David Lindop wrote:

I had a swan neck towbar with twin electrics fitted by my dealer cost £380 plus vat
Problem I had was with towbar fitted it wouldnt fit the garage, solved this by removing 6 bricks at back of garage, now good fit using rear sensors. ( I must patent this brainwave!!!) Laughing

I hope you made sure the garage wouldn't fall down on top of your fl2,
Shocked
I have visions of the old tv gag were you pull a tin from the bottom of the display and it all comes tumbling down

Post #8804 19th Oct 2007 10:38 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
detachable

I ordered a factory fitted detachable tow bar, which though slightly more expensive, was then covered by the 3yr vehicle warranty. It's also very neat in "detached" mode .... so much easier on the ankles when you walk around the back of the car!! Razz
 Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #8810 19th Oct 2007 11:15 pm
The Villager

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
David Lindop wrote:

Problem I had was with towbar fitted it wouldnt fit the garage, solved this by removing 6 bricks at back of garage, now good fit using rear sensors. ( I must patent this brainwave!!!) Laughing

I hope you made sure the garage wouldn't fall down on top of your fl2,
Shocked
I have visions of the old tv gag were you pull a tin from the bottom of the display and it all comes tumbling down

Thanks for your concern, the garage is double brick, only removed enough to let towbar fit in and if there was a problem the towbar should be safe!!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter David

Post #8819 20th Oct 2007 9:36 am
Ub2

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Well at least you can get a towbar in the UK.

LR Australia appears totally incapable of organising one despite repeated assurances it will be "next week". Sad I bought the SE rather than wait until a HSE delivery expected in February as I needed a tow car for October and November.

I was supposed to receive the FL2 on 13th September and the towbar would have been fitted 2 weeks, possibly 3 weeks later at most. Got the FL2 on 19 September. Still waiting for the towbar today on 22 October. LRA now says mid November Censored Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Believe it when i see it.

I'd have been bettter off waiting for the HSE. At least I could have hired a tow car and not been getting further behind on the kilometers mandated by my leaseon the FL2 . I still have to use another car and let the FL2 sit idle with few miles. Evil or Very Mad

Can't trust LRA. They tell the dealer one thing, me another and friends another tale. Banging Head Regards Ub2
My first Landie; SE TD4 auto Sunroof, Narvik Black with Alpacca interior, towbar & rear spoiler.

Post #8902 23rd Oct 2007 2:15 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Nick Jan I got the witter removable for the same reason as you I won't need the bar that often, but when I get the Thule towbar bike rack I will use it more often. As for clearance Avtur, don't know how close you ever really got but from what I could see you seemed to clear most of the obstacles with ease, and if it did dig into the ground it only 'kissed the surface' I must admit I was worried for my electric points as they seemed to be lower than yours???? but everything was intact Thumbs Up

Last edited by carlfraz on 4th Nov 2007 12:51 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #8921 23rd Oct 2007 7:20 pm
Ra

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Rimini Red

Ub2 wrote:
LRA now says mid November Censored Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Believe it when i see it.

Ub2,

I've just got a call today from Rolfe in Canberra to schedule me in for fitting the towbar next week. It looks like they have them now - at least the detachable one I ordered.

Post #9113 29th Oct 2007 5:42 am
Ub2

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Thanks Ra

Rolfe phoned me Monday and are fitting it Thursday. Hope it is done well. Regards Ub2
My first Landie; SE TD4 auto Sunroof, Narvik Black with Alpacca interior, towbar & rear spoiler.

Post #9189 30th Oct 2007 12:43 pm
Ra

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Rimini Red

Ub2 wrote:
Thanks Ra

Rolfe phoned me Monday and are fitting it Thursday. Hope it is done well.

Good luck - let me know how it goes. When I took mine in for side steps, they forgot to tighten the driver's side and it was pretty loose and shaky. I took it back and one of the guys blamed it on the steps, saying they're more for aesthetics than real use. After I told them this was not the case when they sold them to me, he blamed it on some screws that apparently were not right. Anyway, after they tightened the step, I haven’t had any other issues with it so far (although the steps are both slightly mis-aligned with the car).

Also, on the Australian Land Rover Owners’ Club there are quite a few people complaining about the service at Rolfe. I guess we’ll have to wait and see – as they say, the proof is in the pudding...

P.S. Nice light guards you’ve got on yours – I didn’t know they were available in Australia. Also, is there a UB 001?

Post #9224 31st Oct 2007 12:13 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>