« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Towbars
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Ub2

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Hello Ra
Must catch up for a beer. Yes Ub001 is a 2003 Pajero DiD exceed with everything - 2.7 tonne. Did the Hay River run in the Simpson then onto the East Macdonalds, Chambers Pillar and Bogey Hole on the Finke R last year. Took 2nd place overall in the J7 competition (standard class) on the Hawkesbury at Easter this year.

Towbar and wood trim being fitted tomorrow.

What club do you belong to if any? Regards Ub2
My first Landie; SE TD4 auto Sunroof, Narvik Black with Alpacca interior, towbar & rear spoiler.

Post #9240 31st Oct 2007 1:06 pm
Ra

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Rimini Red

Ub2 wrote:
Hello Ra
Must catch up for a beer. Yes Ub001 is a 2003 Pajero DiD exceed with everything - 2.7 tonne. Did the Hay River run in the Simpson then onto the East Macdonalds, Chambers Pillar and Bogey Hole on the Finke R last year. Took 2nd place overall in the J7 competition (standard class) on the Hawkesbury at Easter this year.

Towbar and wood trim being fitted tomorrow.

What club do you belong to if any?

Ub2,

No club yet - just getting started at the whole off-road thing. That's why I went for a FL2 - it's a great car for trying out offroad, but still handles well the over 35K I'm doing every year around town.

I sent you a PM re. the beer Thumbs Up

Post #9389 2nd Nov 2007 12:03 am
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

My After-Market Towbar can be spotted in my gallary....(Dodgy looking!) '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #9871 12th Nov 2007 11:06 pm
Ub2

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Hello all

Sorry I haven't been on for a while veeeeerry busy Very Happy

Ra; sorry did not get the pm it must have dropped out of the in box because I haven't logged in for a while Embarassed

Towbar: Fitted last Wednesday after much drama. The software upgrade to tell the computer to adjust the reversing sensors and lights that a trailer is connected caused the computer to malfunction; no door locks, no auto windows open and close; dodgy. Eventually sorted in 2 days.

The tow bar is a neat job but LRA supply a kit with both the European and Australian connectors on the mount Exclamation . Why not delete the European one as I am unlikely to ship the car to Europe? Question The Australian connector is the large round 7 pin unit so I had to buy yet another connector to adapt it to the 7 pin flat on my trailer. Crying or Very sad The towbar is the mini Hayman Reece style; neat and strong but a bit low. I turned the tongue upside down to give a little ground clearance.

Towed the trailer down the Clyde mountain to the coast Thursday in full daylight. Car and trailer worked like a dream. BUT towing back Sunday evening with the lights set to auto caused a nasty surprise. Big Cry As the car entered some shade the lights turned on and The trailer brakes locked on at 100KPH Censored Censored Big Cry I Could find nothing shorting but obviously there was. Solution turn lights to OFF setting and race home before it got dark. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Avoid blue lights.

Made it, just. To make sure it wasn't the trailer I disconnected everything, hitched up another trailer and drove forward. All good until I turned the lights on; Locked brakes again.

Took the car back to dealer Tuesday AM, auto electrician said nothing wrong but clearly did not care. Sent to another auto electrician who fixed it easily and could not understand how any sparky could stuf it up. Question Shocked

Problem solved I hope. Towing to Newcastle and Melbourne on the WE so will know for sure then. It tows really well and pulls like a truck but really smooth and quiet. Very Happy Regards Ub2
My first Landie; SE TD4 auto Sunroof, Narvik Black with Alpacca interior, towbar & rear spoiler.

Post #9965 14th Nov 2007 9:05 am
wildrover

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Indus Silver

Hi David,
was just browsing there and found this item and remembered your comment about having to remove some bricks to get the Landy in the garage. This device might prevent you knocking out the outer bricks by mistake should your parking sensors or hearing fail (or after a night out). Rolling with laughter

http://www.gbdriver.co.uk/acatalog/parking...guard.html Out with the old (2007 SE)
In with the new (2012 Dynamic with everything). Now also gone.

Post #10618 25th Nov 2007 6:13 pm
islander

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
TOWBAR ADVICE FOR NEWBIE

NEW OWNER

Very excited, about to take delivery of my first 4x4 Exclamation After slithering and scrabbling about offroad in an audi a6 quattro on my way to work for the last year I have decided to get a vehicle that is fit for purpose. I would like to say how great this forum has been in helping me to decide on which model, which accessoriers and, most of all, in overcoming my terror of freelander reliability problems

I looked long and hard at getting a Japanese soft-roader but finally I just couldn't do it to myself. I realised that after a series of Golf's and Audi's, the only car I ever loved was my 1962 Riley 1.5 (coffee and cream with twin carburettors, no syncromesh in first gear and red leather interior). Despite her breaking down every month or so (usually for no very good reason), she was my baby. Hoping to feel that way about driving a car again.

Wish me luck!

Does anyone have any thoughts about the cosmetic appearance of the LR detachable towbar? I do not tow anything bigger than a bicycle and I do not want my new baby defaced by a white electrical cap (apologies to all c Censored van owners). Is it possible to specify a single black cap connector on a detachable towbar?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Islander Sumatra Black, HSE diesel, mudflaps.

Post #12970 12th Jan 2008 5:25 pm
muddywheels

England 

I used to have twin electrics and a caravan so I bought the black covers for the sockets - cheap and neat. Any car parts shop should have them. Thumbs Up

My last land rover had single socket so should not be a problem if that is what you want.

Post #12973 12th Jan 2008 6:03 pm
builder

England 
Re: TOWBAR ADVICE FOR NEWBIE

[quote="islander"]NEW OWNER

Very excited, about to take delivery of my first 4x4 Exclamation After slithering and scrabbling about offroad in an audi a6 quattro on my way to work for the last year I have decided to get a vehicle that is fit for purpose. I would like to say how great this forum has been in helping me to decide on which model, which accessoriers and, most of all, in overcoming my terror of freelander reliability problems

I looked long and hard at getting a Japanese soft-roader but finally I just couldn't do it to myself. I realised that after a series of Golf's and Audi's, the only car I ever loved was my 1962 Riley 1.5 (coffee and cream with twin carburettors, no syncromesh in first gear and red leather interior). Despite her breaking down every month or so (usually for no very good reason), she was my baby. Hoping to feel that way about driving a car again.

Wish me luck!

Does anyone have any thoughts about the cosmetic appearance of the LR detachable towbar? I do not tow anything bigger than a bicycle and I do not want my new baby defaced by a white electrical cap (apologies to all c Censored van owners). Is it possible to specify a single black cap connector on a detachable towbar?

Hello islander
You can opt for the latest single 13 pin connector/socket but it all depends on what you are going to plug into it as you will need a compatiable plug.
If you are not towing a caravan you can still have just the one old style black socket fitted and forget the white socket altogether, this will give power to all of your exterior lights, indicators, breakes, reversing etc for a basic trailer or light board which is probaly all you need.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Post #12975 12th Jan 2008 6:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12