Home > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback > Stratstone ......... again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Annie

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Galway Green
Stratstone ......... again

Hi everyone,

Ive just joined the site (npinks recommeded it on detailing world).

Well, i'm trying to buy a car and they seem totally dis-interested. We went in last week and the salesman seemed very nice and we thought we had a deal. The car was coming from another site.

I can't get them to ring me back now. I don't know if it's the receptionists who don't pass the messages on or the guys who are 'too busy' but i've never known anything as bad. The other salesmen don't help either if one of them isnt there.

Ive just read about Guy Salmon winning dealer of the year and am very tempted to look there. You wouldnt think it would be so difficult to spend money in a recession Confused

Post #117497 20th Oct 2011 8:45 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Hello Very Happy

Hopefully a bit of advice on dealers can be had and you'll get the car your looking for Thumbs Up

i would also contact James or Steve at Lookers Park Royal, forum sponsors,

steveallum@lookers.co.uk

The services I received was great, deal was good enough to drive down from Leeds to London to collect and the car was as described, unlike the one you saw and posted about over on detailingworld Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #117501 20th Oct 2011 9:09 am
Annie

Hello,

Thanks ive just been reading through the dealer feedback pages. It's just when you think that the deal is done and then the thought of dredging over it all again and arguing over p/x prices. It nearly makes you want to keep what you have.

I'm going to see if they ring back today but ive started looking again now Rolling Eyes

Post #117504 20th Oct 2011 9:14 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i agree its not good when they don't phone back etc

what spec FL2 are you looking for? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #117508 20th Oct 2011 9:23 am
Annie

I'm not too fussy really. My part ex is a 10 reg so i didnt want to go too old and i only want to spend up to £18.5 (ish). I don't want to go too mad with the cash as ive only had my car since April but really wanted the FL when we got it.
Ive looked at the S model, GS and XS. It was the XS model that i'm waiting for a call about. If it were only the basic model, i would have 'moved on' already but it was just that it was the XS that i thought id try to do the deal but it just seems wrong to chase the dealer etc when they get so much bad f/back. Ive seen one at Guy Salmon Wakefield that i might go and see. It's an 09 GS.

Post #117510 20th Oct 2011 9:34 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

there is a nice Bali Blue (think Cadburys chocolate blue) GS over at Copleys, Halifax '59 plate £18.5K (pictures look nice anyway)

I haven't bought anything from them, but Farnells in Leeds ( use them for servicing) and Farnells Guisley get good reviews from members that have used them Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #117516 20th Oct 2011 9:56 am
donny

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

Hi, I live in Doncaster so not too far from you and run two modern Land Rovers.

I have personally had good dealings with Duckworths (Market Rasen) and Guy Salmon (Wakefield). Lookers Park Royal are well regarded on here but I have not dealt with them.

In my experience, Stratstone (Doncaster) are beyond incompetent and not to be trusted. I will no longer deal with them and advise others to avoid at any cost.

Post #117525 20th Oct 2011 10:46 am
Annie

Thank you. Well i've never had the lack of interest before from any dealer. I rang them this morning just to see what is going on and the salesman i dealt with last week isn't there today. Nobody was interested. When he didnt answer the phone, my call went back to reception and she asked if i wanted to leave a message. I said no need as they don't ring me back anyway. I was put through again and spoke to another man. He said that he 'thinks' the car is on the way but not sure and the other salesman would ring me tomorrow. I said well shall i just ring the other site myself and he told me not to.

They don't seem to realise that there are other cars for sale with other dealers who actually can be bothered.

While i was on the phone, my husband rang the Stratstone site that the car is supposed to be coming from as i am giving up and he said that the chap there was very helpful. He said that they had an enquiry about it yesterday (from my salesman) but as far as he is concerned, it's still for sale and anyone can buy it.

Back onto the autotrader site to browse i think Rolling Eyes

Post #117541 20th Oct 2011 1:00 pm
Biscay

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue

Hi Annie,

have you triedusing this link, Its how I got mine.

http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/

I went to Hunters Derby and they said could bring any from there group over. I found one in their group that I liked but salesman told me I was wrong and that they weren't part of their group. Week later I went in, saw another salesman, told him what I wanted, he was great on knowledge and checked the system. Low and behold the one I originally enquired about came up and he had it sent over within two days.

The only issue I had was with their valeting service. However, they did whole car 3 times before I was happy.

Post #119428 6th Nov 2011 4:49 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

right weve told you what model/gearbox to buy, where to buy it ( or not to), your getting a black car obviously Wink

Now do you want us to pay for it too, I'll start a collection

paypal to holidayfund@cgenterprises.com At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #119432 6th Nov 2011 5:30 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

yes get paying every one Thumbs Up

in return Deut will taxi us around on call over the xmas holidays, I wont need him if all goes to plan I will be in Barbados, but he can run me to the airport Whistle At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #119437 6th Nov 2011 5:51 pm
Annie

I thought that i would update my original thread as i believe in 'credit where credit is due' sort of thing.

We actually ended up buying from Stratstone as i found that i was getting messed about by 2 of the very well known landrover dealers and decided that the others were no better than stratstones (in my experience of buying a FL).

A well known dealer took days to come to a deal with me, after saying he couldn't do it at the price i wanted and told me the old chestnut that he was only making so much on the car etc etc. He was supposed to be getting back to me before closing one day and didnt. The to-ing and fro-ing re price started again the day after and he kept saying he couldnt do it or he would see his boss etc. He rang me a day later to say that he could do the deal i wanted but unfortunately, due to him messing me about, i had bought one elsewhere.
I also drove all the way to Boston to a well known landrover dealer and they offered £1500 less than stratstones were offering on our part ex and the Boston prices were also inflated compared to Stratstone.............so after all that, Stratstone rang me on my way from Boston to say that the car i had asked to see had finally arrived so i went to see it. It drove very nicely indeed and i said that i would have it.

Since collecting it and having a better look around it, i have found some deep marks/scratches/gouges in the rubber strip on the back bumper (the protector strip thingy). I took the car into Stratstone to say i wasnt really happy with that and they are swapping it today. They have also said that they would fit my mudflaps for free that i bought online

They werent very good at the beginning but they have turned out very well and i ended up with the XS model 59 reg a lot cheaper than anywhere else Smile

Post #119489 7th Nov 2011 11:47 am
Annie

Yes it is up to you where you spend your cash. It's a lot of money to be handing over for poor service.

Another update. I was praising them too soon i'm afraid.

The salesman i have dealt with throughout rang me yesterday afternoon to say that the car will be ready to collect by the time i get there in 50 minutes but unfortunately, they couldnt fit the mudflaps for free so i would have to book it in for £80 plus vat. I said i will fit them myself.

The 2 main things that the car went in for were not done Censored
The bumper protector strip was supposed to be swapped and it wasnt and i also wanted the arches removing and cleaning underneath as there is heaps of dried mud up where the springs go into the bodywork. I have pulled loads of massive lumps of mud from up there (not the arches but up in the body) but i dont see why i should have to do it when buying from a dealer. I'm into car detailing and my p/x car was immaculate and the salesman said so.
They had the car for 7 hours and all that i can see they have done is hoover it and wash the paintwork which didnt need washing. I reallise that they are 4x4 vehicles but i wont be offroading and i believe i pay a premium buying from a dealer and they should be able to prepare a car for sale. I also pulled a 2 metre long piece of undergrowth/grass/bullrush type thing from underneath. If i had bought private then i would expect to have to clean it up but not from a dealer.

It was 5pm when i collected the car and silly me didnt check but when they are telling you that something is done, silly me believed them. I got home and put my rubber gloves on and had a feel around up above the springs and it is still full of clumps of dried mud. It needs to be cleaned out properly in my opinion as i dont want all that festering in the bodywork.
I rang him when i got home and told him and he said that he would find out why things werent done and ring me today. I am very annoyed now.

Post #119601 8th Nov 2011 8:35 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

Annie wrote:
Yes it is up to you where you spend your cash. It's a lot of money to be handing over for poor service.

Another update. I was praising them too soon i'm afraid.

The salesman i have dealt with throughout rang me yesterday afternoon to say that the car will be ready to collect by the time i get there in 50 minutes but unfortunately, they couldnt fit the mudflaps for free so i would have to book it in for £80 plus vat. I said i will fit them myself.

The 2 main things that the car went in for were not done Censored
The bumper protector strip was supposed to be swapped and it wasnt and i also wanted the arches removing and cleaning underneath as there is heaps of dried mud up where the springs go into the bodywork. I have pulled loads of massive lumps of mud from up there (not the arches but up in the body) but i dont see why i should have to do it when buying from a dealer. I'm into car detailing and my p/x car was immaculate and the salesman said so.
They had the car for 7 hours and all that i can see they have done is hoover it and wash the paintwork which didnt need washing. I reallise that they are 4x4 vehicles but i wont be offroading and i believe i pay a premium buying from a dealer and they should be able to prepare a car for sale. I also pulled a 2 metre long piece of undergrowth/grass/bullrush type thing from underneath. If i had bought private then i would expect to have to clean it up but not from a dealer.

It was 5pm when i collected the car and silly me didnt check but when they are telling you that something is done, silly me believed them. I got home and put my rubber gloves on and had a feel around up above the springs and it is still full of clumps of dried mud. It needs to be cleaned out properly in my opinion as i dont want all that festering in the bodywork.
I rang him when i got home and told him and he said that he would find out why things werent done and ring me today. I am very annoyed now.

don't like the sound of that Annie, was it a farmer who previously owned the car ?

looks like it has been offroad somewhere, hope it wasn't a LRE car.

have a really good look underneath for potential damage due to offroading.

Iain

Post #119602 8th Nov 2011 8:45 am
Annie

Thanks Iain. It doesnt fill me with confidence after finding all that mud. You would think that the dealer would think oh god, we'd better get rid of that lot and then i wont think it's had a hard life.
I found all the mud the day after i bought it when i was cleaning it. I wanted to clean the arches and dress them and then i saw that there was mud in the springs. I got that out and it was actually my friend from the detailing forum that showed me the mud up inside where the springs go into the bodywork. I never thought to feel up there Rolling Eyes

I pulled a load more mud out last night (it needs sweeping up in my garage) but there is still some up there on all corners and i'm very frustrated.

Like you say, i'm hoping that there is no damage underneath. I can't see any but then, i'm not an expert.

At the moment, i feel like taking it to my local Indy who i trust and let him clean it out and check all the underneath for me and bill Stratstones for his time.

Post #119604 8th Nov 2011 8:54 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>