Home > Technical > Noise from rear differential
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
paulw11

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Noise from rear differential

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2009 Freelander 2 Td4. It had about 17,000Ks on it when I purchased it and it now has about 24,000.

About a week ago I noticed a sort of whirring noise that sounds like it is coming from the rear once you get moving. I am guessing it is coming from the differential. The sound changes pitch relative to road speed, not engine speed.

I bought a week's access to the Topix service and I found this:

Quote:
Title Freelander 2 Rear Differential Noise
Last Modified 18-SEP-2009 08:02
Category Noise/ Vibration
Symptom 702000 Other Noise Concerns
Content
Issue:
The customer reports an NVH issue from the rear axle either at road speed >20km/h or at full lock during cornering.
Cause:
Under investigation
Action:
To help further investigation it would be appreciated if you could submit an EPQR with full details of the issue. We may want to visit or discuss the issue further via Phone and this may result in a request for the complete rear axle to be changed without splitting the coupling and RDU and also to retain the oil.
If a sound file can be recorded with the issue please attach to the EPQR.

Which sounds like a match to my symptoms, but it looks like they don't know the cause yet.

My car is booked in for a service next week and I have asked them to look into it then.

Has anyone else experienced this and had it rectified? From the report above it looks like they may replace the rear axle under warranty - I hope they do something like this as I am not too keen in having to take the car back to the dealer repeatedly while they experiment with other solutions and I can't keep driving around with the stereo at full blast which is the current fix Very Happy

Paul

Post #71167 28th Jun 2010 8:54 am
andyr

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Izmir Blue

Is it worse under lock coming out of junctions?
Like a rubbing noise?

Cheers,

Andy BMW 335i Coupe

Post #71170 28th Jun 2010 9:09 am
lem_jpm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

The rear diff on my 07 FL2 had to be replaced at around 35k miles under warranty.

Post #71173 28th Jun 2010 11:11 am
paulw11

Hi Andy,

I haven't noticed the noise being worse under lock - but I will do some experiments this weekend.

It isn't a rubbing noise - I have checked the heat shields on the prop shaft after reading some threads here - it is more of a gear whine.

Paul

Last edited by paulw11 on 1st Jul 2010 12:45 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #71262 29th Jun 2010 8:59 pm
andyr

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Izmir Blue

It does sound like rear diff to me Sad

I was just checking to see if it could have been a Haldex issue.

Cheers,

Andy BMW 335i Coupe

Post #71280 30th Jun 2010 8:20 am
EdSnow

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Hey guys See the below link and there is another included within that.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic5594.html?highlight= Freelander 2 XS 2.2 TD4 Met Black, with Winter pack, 18" alloys with General Grabber AT2 wellies, MANTEC Sump and Tank Guards

Post #71495 3rd Jul 2010 11:15 pm
paulw11

Hi,

Well the car had its service today and they are going to replace the diff - it is on order. I hope that this is a one off thing and not the start of a series of problems!

Paul

Post #71535 5th Jul 2010 10:39 am
koevoet

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tonga Green
Rear Diff

I bought a late 2008 FL2 HSE in June, so its less than two years old, 32K miles, I noticed a slight noise during the test drive, but put it down to tyre noise, after driving around in a milltek exhausted Clio 182, the car seemed stunningly tranquil, so bought the car,it went back into the dealers a week after I took delivery to have some other work done and I asked them to check the noise ( I knew by then it was not tyres).They have replaced my diff under warranty too.When I was at the LRE in Dunkeld, Gilbert the instructor,called the Engineers they deal with at Land Rover who said there were no issues known with the diffs, other than 175 early FL2'S in which some bolts within the diff housing had been torqued to the wrong setting,too low.He did say that the Freelander was the car that gave them the least problems "now, if you had said that you had a Discovery...!".The car has just been delivered back home (the dealers have now had it longer than I have!), but as I am in Brazil working it's not been driven yet, Wife's not confident in driving "that bloody great tank!" yet, Clio now her car.So much for the track day car idea........ FL2 HSE Tonga Green and Clio Sport 182 (Hers!)Milltek exhaust ,Speedline Turinis.

Post #73584 8th Aug 2010 6:21 am
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi paulw11,
You may have got the diff sorted ??? But it may not be the DIFF

I had the a rumbling noise from the rear end!, It turned out to be a rear wheel bearing ( same part number as an FL1)
Easy to check, Jack the rear wheel off the ground. And knock you Knees on the lower part of the tyre - with the hand brake OFF-
If there's any Knocking or movement put the handbrake on (try again) If knocking or movement has gone Replace the wheel bearing, check both sides (The wheel bearing is cartage type with no adjustment so it will be noisy when it got play/ wear in it )

You will need a press to change the bearing, parts cost around £50.00 or £250.00 to get it done a LR
Cheaper than a Diff,
All the best Thumbs Up

Post #73585 8th Aug 2010 8:49 am
Lakmal

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Rimini Red

Got a noice from my rear diff last Wednesday
Landrover roadside assist towed the car to the dealer in Malvern on Thursday morning
Called ULR (Malvern) 3 times and the response was "we didnt have a look at it yet"
Callled 3 times again on Friday and finally got a response arround 3.30pm "Your diff has to be replaced and need to import parts from UK - Need 3 weeks"

This is after two years and 50,000kms.
I have planned to drive to Perth for the Easter holidays (7,500km return trip) and that has to be cancelled. I'm on a loan car.

This is my first and definitely the last Land Rover. 2009 i6 SE

Post #98197 9th Apr 2011 9:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1