« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Grinding noise from rear brake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Oscr

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Grinding noise from rear brake

I was cruising along at low speed yesterday, when I heard a faint grinding noise from the rear right brake.

The noise appears with braking, and increases in loudness as I press harder on the brake pedal.

So i flushed the calipers, brakepads and discs as much as I could, and took the car to a parking garage, rolled down the windows on right side and let the car roll by itself at walking speed, foot of the pedals - and heard a very faint noise from the rear right brake, as if something were stuck.

When I pressed the brake pedal, the noise increased.

Checked the pads and disc, and both seem fine (on the outside) to me, so any suggestions to what I should do next?

Apart from the obvious, jack the car up, remove the wheel and check the inside of the brake... Leopard tank drivers never stop at anything.

2007 TD4 HSE Moon Roof Ebony Leather Navi...

Post #94672 9th Mar 2011 8:56 pm
dunroof

Had that, it will wear off.

Post #94700 9th Mar 2011 10:27 pm
Oscr

It might, I'm going to get the car on a ramp to check it anyway. Better safe than sorry... Leopard tank drivers never stop at anything.

Post #94703 9th Mar 2011 10:40 pm
zoey

United States 

You might have a piston hanging up. I would pull the caliper, remove the pads, and use a brake cleaner to remove any grime on the pistons.

You might also check to see how the pads and disc are wearing to give you a clue to as where the scraping might be coming from. Spin the disc by hand whilst holding a thumbnail up next to the disc. Is the disc warped?

I had a Honda in which the metal shroud behind the disc was bent slightly, which caused a rubbing noise.

Does the noise come and go at a steady pace when moving? Like something is warped?

Post #94715 10th Mar 2011 6:37 am
Oscr

Turned out the brake pads were worn down, had to swap discs to... It sure wouldn't have wore off dunroof Wink

And of course, the wear was far worse on the inside of the disc. Leopard tank drivers never stop at anything.

Post #94722 10th Mar 2011 9:14 am
brightsparking

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Had the same issue, pads were separated from the pad backing plate.

New pads fitted all fine. New discs were needed too as they were undersize, probably due to excess rubbing from the loosened pads.

Post #94784 10th Mar 2011 4:04 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

brightsparking wrote:
Had the same issue, pads were separated from the pad backing plate.

New pads fitted all fine. New discs were needed too as they were undersize, probably due to excess rubbing from the loosened pads.

Yes same here with an 07 plate..took a while to manifest itself but yes a 'well known' to the dealer network. Change your pads and you should be ok

Post #95027 13th Mar 2011 9:37 am
zoey

United States 

I've only got 2,000 miles on MY10, but have noticed that the brakes are quite "grindy". At first I figured that it was simply surface rust being scrubbed off. However, despite driving several miles, the noise remains.

Makes me think that maybe I should be proactive and change out the pads (before they self-destruct, and/or wreck the rotors). The noise is from all four corners.

Post #95140 14th Mar 2011 7:15 am
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Check the hand brake SHOES in the rear drum are not stuck on the (little pivot which the hand brake cable pulls on to pull the shoes apart dose seize ON/open thus the handbrake stay on) this will course a grinding noise use more fuel and could over heat the wheel being etc.

You can strip the down and free them off or replace with new (the bottom shoe retaining clip a Censored pain to get back on) don't forget to wind the shoes off with a screw driver to free the drum/disc ( remove the small plastic plug from the drum to do so) and re-adjust on rebuild.

I have Just done both side on mine only 3 week after MOT ?? the work takes just over an Hour.
I have a great handbrake NOW. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

All the best hope it helps Thumbs Up

Post #95196 14th Mar 2011 6:27 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Mine got very noisy over the winter. It was down to a very rusty set of discs and a lot of motorway work with virtually no braking. Back to normal now I've used the brakes a bit. The noise appeared to come from the back.

Post #95242 14th Mar 2011 10:33 pm
chrisminett

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

jp wrote:
Check the hand brake SHOES in the rear drum are not stuck on the (little pivot which the hand brake cable pulls on to pull the shoes apart dose seize ON/open thus the handbrake stay on) this will course a grinding noise use more fuel and could over heat the wheel being etc.

Sounds similar to a problem I seem to be having. Just got my 57-plate back from 4th service (47,000) at dealer and find that I have a sqeaul when braking. Tried it in the car park at work to hear which side it was coming from, needn't have bothered! When getting out to check the wheels, the rear-right is so hot that you can see a heat-haze, can't get too close to the wheel, and it stinks! Handbrake has seemed tighter since I got it back from the dealer, although that wouldn't be too hard as I've often found that the handbrake isn't capable of holding it on an incline!

Am waiting for the dealer's service department to call me back - am slightly worried as to whether it's safe to use without damaging something and I've got a 5-hour round-trip to do this weekend!

Post #97947 6th Apr 2011 9:37 am
chrisminett

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

Update in case anyone ever has the same issue:

Land Rover told me to bring it in immediately and, keeping it overnight due to haveing to wait for a part, replaced the spring adjuster for the handbrake on the affected wheel, FOC! Absolutely perfect service for a worried customer, and in a weird way I'm looking forward to going back next week so that they can turn their attention to the lack of aircon!

Post #98097 7th Apr 2011 7:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1