Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Scratch repair
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
spidey

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver
Scratch repair

Hi all,

I'm sure that this has been covered before but I couldn't find the answer I'm looking for.

I have several nail deep scratch near the doors of Hugo (FL2) and by the front nearside panel thanks to hedges on country roads Evil or Very Mad

There are several of them and the base coat can be seen. I've tried my trusted Meguire's scratch repair but these ones are too deep to cover. Can anyone suggest how to repair them? I don't really want to get someone like Chips Away to do them. Its Lago Grey. Do one of those repair pens work? Any idea where I can get one that matches?

I've got another year to run on the car (2 year finance 0% deal) and was thinking of getting a Disco after this. Do you think buyers expect some wear and tear for a 2 year old car?

Thanks
Spidey Smile

Post #96026 22nd Mar 2011 10:55 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

smart repair or full respray if the scratches are deep and down to the base coat

I have seen threads about people taping around the scratch and painting in the scratch only with a steady hand, then leaving it to cure and sanding back the excess paint and machine polishing the finish, but I would say its near on impossible to get it back to pre-scratch and you run the risk of doing more damage than not

Megs scratch X stuff is quiet good, but it won't do anything on a deep scratch, you could always try the colour coded polishes to mask the car at trade in Confused Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #96029 22nd Mar 2011 11:02 am
spidey

npinks wrote:

.... but I would say its near on impossible to get it back to pre-scratch and you run the risk of doing more damage than not Confused

Agreed. I tried the pen paint repair from Halfords on my Qashqai before selling it and it made it so painfully obvious! It was on the driver's side door. Called Chip Away and the chap turned up and used some solvent to get rid of the paint that I had painted and TBH...the scratch looked so much better without the paint.

Took the car to a Nissan garage to sell and they didn't even bat an eye at the scratch.....but then again it didn't have a white base coat!

Post #96040 22nd Mar 2011 11:23 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

I would recommend these, but it takes practice to get a nice finish. I believe someone on here does a discount for these too. Thumbs Up

http://www.chipex.co.uk/

Post #96057 22nd Mar 2011 1:51 pm
spidey

wizking wrote:
I would recommend these, but it takes practice to get a nice finish. I believe someone on here does a discount for these too. Thumbs Up

http://www.chipex.co.uk/

Anyone else tried this? Any good? Any idea who gives the discount? Might be worth a try... Neutral

Post #96060 22nd Mar 2011 2:00 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Look here spidey;

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic8284.html?highlight=paint+repair

Post #96064 22nd Mar 2011 2:38 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have bought some for the father in laws car, put the OEM paint code in, which brought up there paint code, only problem there paint code was the wrong colour

spoke to them and they sent the right colour code out straight away

I just haven't tried it yet, so can't say what it will be like to use on a scratch Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #96071 22nd Mar 2011 3:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1