Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 4th service!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
clevelandy

England 

Had mine in at Team Valley last week.
Pretty good service - sorted out a few niggles. Not quite Lexus standards, but all the same friendly and helpful and I'll certainly use them again.
No cleaner on duty - so was just washed down - no big deal.
Came to £365 inc a set of rear pads (one had siezed). Discounted the price of a fuel filter that was done in December.
Very happy with that.

Post #95095 13th Mar 2011 8:37 pm
nikileoncupra

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
4th service

Does anyone know what work is carried out on the 4th service because it seems very expensive?

cheers

Post #95106 13th Mar 2011 10:04 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

How expensive is expensive/, have mine booked in for 4th service week tomorrow for £270

Post #95126 14th Mar 2011 12:01 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Merged into to 4th Service Thread Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #95127 14th Mar 2011 12:22 am
Hooky

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

Just had my 4th service done and chose Adventure 4x4 after a couple of positive comments on here and a competitive quote for that and other work. All I can say is it's a bit hard to disaggregate the service only cost but their. er, service was excellent.

Other work needed was clutch (complete with stupid dual mass flywheel) replaced, rear discs, pads all round, glow plugs and 4 new tyres. Generally, I'm disappointed that a car that has been looked after and until this one, main dealer serviced and repaired form new, needs so much money invested in it to keep it working as it should. Obviously I don't include tyres and pads in that equation. Also its only done 40K I've never had to put a clutch in a car in the last 25 years and no I've not had all automatics Confused

Of course I've no idea how he first owner drove it for the initial 18000 miles but my 24000 have been with care.

Hay ho, its a good job I enjoy driving it still else it would be on its way for sure. Also available in Clean.

Post #95524 17th Mar 2011 5:18 pm
LRCRAZY321

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
4th SERVICE PRICE DIFFERENCES!!!!

just had ours done at stratstone nottingham for £360 they came and collected from work and brought it back valeted ,all in all very pleased as hunters derby wanted upwards of £500!!!
Thumbs Up

Post #95642 18th Mar 2011 5:29 pm
toeknee

4th Service and a bit more

Just picked up my FL2 from Team Valley LR Thumbs Up after its 4th Service and MOT, car all nice and clean inside and out, cost well they did look quite apologetic when I walked in to reception and I was expecting a large bill as the rear brakes and handbrake were shot and needed replacing so with the service, mot, fitting of some new colour coded door handles (I know people have fitted themselves, but as Mrs Toeknee reminds me I’m like a bull in a china shop at times)rear discs & pads, handbrake kit and front pads plus labour and Vat at £130 it came to just over £800.
Quite a large amount to pay but god knows what my local dealer would have charged but a not so pleasant bill made easier by the customer service offered by the two Grahams and Dave

Post #96094 22nd Mar 2011 6:50 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: 4th Service and a bit more

toeknee wrote:
...... fitting of some new colour coded door handles ......

Shocked That's how I started Thumbs Up

Post #96096 22nd Mar 2011 6:55 pm
s7gpt

Anyone service these cars themselves, mine needs another service in 20 days and will probably do myself, other than the oil change which i will let kwick fit do as i cant even buy the oil for what they charge, they use any oil you ask for too and give you a litre for top ups Thumbs Up

oh yeah anyone know where the pollen filter goes Question freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #96100 22nd Mar 2011 7:37 pm
dunroof

In the pollen filtre holder? Very Happy

Cant remember if I got that on ToPix. Got the oil change pictorals.

Post #96105 22nd Mar 2011 8:24 pm
s7gpt

[quote="dunroof"]In the pollen filtre holder? Very Happy

And thats where then mate Question freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #96106 22nd Mar 2011 8:27 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic4595.html?highlight=pollen

judging by your avatar you probably need the change the toilet roll too, its near the exhaust pipe at the back rear of the car At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #96107 22nd Mar 2011 8:28 pm
s7gpt

Thanks CG, as some of these cars are pushing 4 years old and out of warrenty i suspect other owners will be considering servicing themselves too. May be a good idea to have a sticky in the technical section with details of how to change the usual service items / brakes etc Thumbs Up freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #96108 22nd Mar 2011 8:40 pm
dunroof

This sort of thing? The graphics haven't come out. Maybe a way round this.

Maintenance Schedules - Maintenance Schedules - Gasoline Engines
Description and Operation
Under Bonnet View

Item Part Number Description
1 - Coolant expansion tank
2 - Brake fluid reservoir (LH drive illustrated - RH drive on opposite side)
3 - Engine oil filler cap
4 - Power steering reservoir
5 - Engine oil level indicator
6 - Windscreen washer fluid reservoir
Maintenance Operations
CAUTION: Note that the 'A' and 'B' Service Intervals listed on the 'Maintenance Check Sheet' for vehicles operating under arduous conditions, vary from those specified for vehicles operating under normal conditions. Reference must therefore, always be made to the 'Arduous Conditions section for vehicles operating under these conditions.
Unless stated otherwise, the following operations must be carried out at every service interval.
Battery
• Check condition of battery.
• Check/top up battery electrolyte level.
Front Seats
Front seat frame fixings - Every 2 years or 30,000 miles (48,000 km)

• Carefully remove the trim panels covering the seat frame fixing Torx screws.
• Check that the front seat frame fixing Torx screws are secure and that the seat frames show no signs of movement.
• Install the trim panels on completion.
Rear Seats
Rear seat frame fixings - Every 2 years or 30,000 miles (48,000 km)

• Check that the seat frame fixings are secure and that the seat frames show no signs of movement.
Safety Belts
Safety belts - Every 2 years or 30,000 miles (48,000 km)
Front Seat Belt Mountings

Rear Seat Belt Mountings

Reel Mounting - Center Rear Seat Belt

Buckle Mounting - Center Rear seat Belt

1. Fully extend each safety belt and check that it returns unassisted; repeat for all belts.
2. Check entire length of safety belt webbing for signs of fraying or damage: repeat for all belts.
3. Connect each safety belt to the correct buckle, check safety belt buckle and tongue are secure; check that buckle releases tongue correctly.
4. Check all safety belt and buckle mountings and fixings for security.

5. Check front safety belt height adjusters for correct operation.
Lamps, Horns and Warning Indicators
• Check side, head, fog, reversing and tail lamps for correct operation.
• Check operation of headlamp automatic levelling system - if installed.
• Check turn signals and hazard warning lamps for correct operation.
• Check brake (stop) lamps for correct operation.
• Check all exterior lamp lenses for clarity and condition; pay particular attention to headlamp and fog lamp lenses for stone chips or damage.
• Check horn for loud, clear sound.
• Switch on headlamps and check that side/headlamp reminder warning sounds when door is opened.
• Check operation of interior courtesy lamps.
• Check operation of all instrument pack warning and indicator lamps.
Washers and Wipers

• Check all wiper blades for condition and signs of splits or damage.
• Check security of wiper arms.
• Operate front and rear screen washers, check that jets are clear and correctly aimed.
• Operate front and rear wipers at all speeds and check for smooth, smear free operation.
Pollen Filter
• Replace pollen filter.
For additional information, refer to: Pollen Filter (412-01 Climate Control, Removal and Installation).
Corrosion/Cosmetic Inspection
• Carry out the annual corrosion/cosmetic inspection using the Annual Corrosion Inspection Sheet.
Wheels and Tires
• Check that tires comply with manufacturer's specification.
For additional information, refer to: Specifications (204-04 Wheels and Tires, Specifications).
• Check/adjust tire pressures including spare.
For additional information, refer to: Specifications (204-04 Wheels and Tires, Specifications).
• Vehicle fitted with Uni-directional tires: Mark the wheel to stud relationship of each road wheel and note location of each road wheel to its respective hub.
• Loosen road wheel nuts. Raise vehicle to a wheel free condition.
For additional information, refer to: Lifting (100-02 Jacking and Lifting, Description and Operation).
• Remove the road wheels.
• Visually check tires for condition, lumps or bulges. Check tread depth across the width of the tire and around the circumference; ensure that remaining tread depth does not contravene local legislative requirements.
• NOTE: Do not install wheels at this stage.
Braking System
CAUTION: For vehicles operating under arduous conditions see relevant section.
1. Inspect front brake pads for wear.
For additional information, refer to: Specifications (206-03 Front Disc Brake, Specifications).
2. Inspect rear brake pads for wear.
For additional information, refer to: Specifications (206-04 Rear Disc Brake, Specifications).
3. Check brake calipers for signs of fluid leaks.
Front brakes

Rear brakes

4. Check brake discs for condition.
5. Check all brake booster and brake system pipes and hoses for condition, chafing and leaks.
6. Clean road wheel hub spigots and apply grease, Land Rover Part Number RYL 105020 to the wheel mating surface of each spigot.
7. Every 3 years: Replace brake fluid. For additional information, refer to: Brake System Bleeding (206-00 Brake System - General Information, General Procedures).
8. Every 6 years: Replace all flexible brake hoses.
9. Vehicles fitted with Uni-directional tires:Install road wheels on their respective hubs ensuring that stud to wheel relationship is maintained.
10. Vehicles fitted with NON Uni-directional tires: Install wheels on the opposite side of the vehicle but ensure that they are on the same axle as they were originally installed.
11. Install road wheel nuts and tighten to 133 Nm (98 lb-ft).
Parking brake
With the vehicle stationary, apply the parking brake and check for correct operation.
For additional information, refer to: Parking Brake Cable Adjustment (206-05 Parking Brake and Actuation, General Procedures).
Door Locks and Hinges
1. Check operation of all door locks, bonnet lock and fuel filler flap.
2. Lubricate all door check straps, bonnet catch and fuel filler flap catch.
Cooling System
CAUTION: Anti-freeze concentration must be maintained at 50%.
1. Check specific gravity of coolant using a hydrometer.
• NOTE: A suitable hydrometer is available from the Equipment Programme under Part Number 511 3302 001 00.
2. Top-up cooling system if necessary.
For additional information, refer to: Specifications (303-03A Engine Cooling - 3.2L NA - I6, Specifications).
Cooling system - Check/Top-up

WARNING: Since injury such as scalding could be caused by escaping steam or coolant, do not remove the filler cap from the coolant expansion tank whilst the system is hot.
• CAUTIONS:
Engine coolant will damage the paint finished surfaces. If coolant is spilled, immediately remove the coolant and wash the area with water.
Always top-up with a 50% mixture of anti-freeze and water.
• Check the level of coolant in the expansion tank. With the engine cold, the coolant level must be to the UPPER LEVEL indicator mark above the COLD FILL RANGE text on the side of the expansion tank. Ignore any coolant which may be visible in the top section of the tank.
• If topping-up is required, remove expansion tank filler cap and top-up coolant level to the UPPER LEVEL indicator mark.
For additional information, refer to: Specifications (303-03A Engine Cooling - 3.2L NA - I6, Specifications).
• Install expansion tank filler cap, tighten cap until ratchet is heard to 'click'.
Coolant - Replace
Every 10 years: Replace the coolant.
For additional information, refer to: Cooling System Draining, Filling and Bleeding (303-03A Engine Cooling - 3.2L NA - I6, General Procedures).
Ignition System
Every 75,000 miles (120,000 km). Replace spark plugs.
For additional information, refer to: Specifications (303-07B Glow Plug System, Specifications).
Accessory Drive Belt
• Check the condition of the accessory drive belt.
• Remove all traces of mud and dirt from the drive belt and pulleys.
• Check the drive belt for signs of splitting and wear.
• Every 105,000 miles (168,000 km) - Petrol models: Replace the accessory drive belt. For additional information, refer to: Accessory Drive Belt (303-05A Accessory Drive - 3.2L NA - I6, Removal and Installation).
Fluid levels
Brake Fluid Reservoir

• Remove the brake fluid reservoir cover.
• Check the fluid level in the brake fluid reservoir, the level must be to the MAX mark on the reservoir; top-up if necessary.
• Clean the area around the reservoir filler cap, remove cap.
• If necessary, top-up using the recommended fluid to the MAX mark on the reservoir.
For additional information, refer to: Specifications (206-00 Brake System - General Information, Specifications).
• Install the reservoir filler cap.
• Install the brake fluid reservoir cover.
Power Steering Fluid Reservoir

CAUTION: To prevent over filling, check/top-up the system with the engine switched off and the system cold. Ensure that the steering wheel is in the straight ahead position, do not turn the steering wheel prior to checking the fluid level.
• Check that the fluid level is to the mid-way mark between the MAX and MIN marks on the fluid reservoir, top-up if necessary.
• Clean the area around the reservoir filler cap, remove cap.
• CAUTION: Do not fill reservoir above the MAX mark.
If necessary, top-up using the recommended fluid to the mid-way mark on the reservoir.
For additional information, refer to: Specifications (211-02 Power Steering, Specifications).
Windshield Washer Reservoir

• Remove the windshield washer reservoir filler cap.
• Top-up the reservoir using a mixture of an approved windshield washer fluid and water until the level is to the bottom of the gauze filter in the reservoir filler neck.
Engine Oil and Filter
Every 6 months or 7,500 miles (12,000 km): NAS and Gulf markets Renew engine oil and filter.
For additional information, refer to: Specifications (303-01A Engine - 3.2L NA - I6, Specifications).
Air Filtering
1. Every 2 years or 30,000 miles (48,000 km): Replace the air cleaner element.
For additional information, refer to: Air Cleaner (303-12A Intake Air Distribution and Filtering - 3.2L NA - I6, Removal and Installation).
Automatic Transmission
Every 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km): Renew automatic transmission fluid.
For additional information, refer to: Specifications (307-01 Automatic Transmission/Transaxle, Specifications).
Manual Transmission
Every 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km): Renew manual transmission fluid.
For additional information, refer to: Specifications (308-00 Manual Transmission/Transaxle and Clutch - General Information, Specifications).
Power Transfer Unit
Every 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km): Renew power transfer unit oil.
For additional information, refer to: Specifications (205-03, Specifications).
Differential Assembly - Rear
Every 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km): Renew rear differential oil.
For additional information, refer to: Specifications (205-02 Rear Drive Axle/Differential, Specifications).
Suspension and Body Mountings
1. Check for free play in all suspension and body mounting rubbers.
2. Check condition of suspension rubber boots and gaiters.
Fuel System
• Check fuel system pipes, hoses and unions for chafing, leaks and corrosion.
Electrical Harnesses
• Check all electrical harnesses for chafing.
Oil/Fluid Leaks
• Check for oil/fluid leaks.
Power Steering
• Check power steering rod ball joint fixings, gaiters and condition of ball joints and dust covers.
• Check power steering pipes, hoses and unions for chafing, leaks and corrosion.
Exhaust System
• Check exhaust system for leaks, security and damage.
Fault Lamp(s)
• If fault lamp(s) are illuminated, test the associated system using T4 and report findings.
Road Test
• Carry out road test of vehicle.
For additional information, refer to: Road/Roller Testing (100-00 General Information, Description and Operation).
General
• Endorse Service Record.
• Report any unusual features of vehicle condition and any additional work required.
Vehicles Operating Under Arduous Conditions
Service intervals for vehicles operating under arduous conditions are detailed below.
Braking system
CAUTION: When vehicles are operating under arduous conditions, the following service items must be carried out every 3 months or 3,750 miles (6,000 km).
• Inspect front brake pads for wear.
• Inspect rear pads for wear.
• Check brake calipers for signs of fluid leaks.
• Check brake discs for condition.
• Check all brake booster and brake system pipes and hoses for condition, chafing and leaks.
• Clean road wheel hub spigots and apply grease, Land Rover Part Number RYL 105020 to the wheel mating surface of each spigot.
Brake Fluid Replacement
CAUTION: When vehicles are operating under arduous conditions, the following service item must be carried out every 2 Years or 30,000 miles (48,000 km).
• Replace brake fluid.
Road Wheel Speed Sensors
CAUTION: When vehicles are operating under arduous conditions, the following service item must be carried out every 3 months or 3,750 miles (6,000 km).
• Inspect the road wheel speed sensor harnesses for damage.
Engine Oil and Filter
CAUTION: When vehicles are operating under arduous conditions, the following service item must be carried out every 3 months or 3,750 miles (6,000 km).
• Renew engine oil and filter.
Air Filtering
CAUTION: When vehicles are operating under arduous conditions, the following service item must be carried out every 12 months or 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
• Replace the air filter element.
For additional information, refer to: Air Cleaner (303-12A Intake Air Distribution and Filtering - 3.2L NA - I6, Removal and Installation).
Accessory Drive Belt
CAUTION: When vehicles are operating under arduous conditions, the following service item must be carried out every 5 years or 75,000 miles (120,000 km).
• Replace the accessory drive belt.
For additional information, refer to: Accessory Drive Belt (303-05A Accessory Drive - 3.2L NA - I6, Removal and Installation).
Radiator and Cooling Fan
CAUTION: When vehicles are operating under arduous conditions, the following item must be carried out.
• Visually check radiator for external obstructions, check cooling fan blades for damage.
Continuous Use In Severe Off-Road Conditions
CAUTION: After 50 miles (80 km) continuous use in severe off-road conditions i.e. wading, deep mud and abrasive grit/slurry, the following items must be cleaned and inspected.
• The parking brake.
• The accessory drive belt .
Vehicles used in dusty or field conditions or deep wading:
• More frequent attention to the air cleaner will be required.
Additional Items That May Require Attention
1. Every 6 years: It is recommended that all brake fluid hydraulic seals are replaced.
• NOTE: This is in addition to the maintenance requirement that flexible brake hoses MUST be replaced at this service interval.

Post #96110 22nd Mar 2011 8:45 pm
s7gpt

excellent Dunroof, printed off to use this weekend Thumbs Up

do you have the diesel one Whistle freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #96115 22nd Mar 2011 9:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>