« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Raised air intake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy131

United Kingdom 
Raised air intake

I like many others have searched in vain for a raised air intake for the FL2, so the time has come to bite the bullet.

I am going to commission a plastic raised air intake to be made, the question is how - there are several ways to get them made my preference is plastic, with a rectangular section going up the A pillar. So that's how it will be.

Getting one handmade is a pain but possible, getting 10 made is expensive but possible, getting more than 20 made means an injection mould can be commissioned. 2000 is mass production volumes - not really my cup of tea.

Have contacted a R&D company who are willing to do the CAD work - can possibly get a grant for this Smile
They have contacts who can manufacture in limited numbers - is anyone else interested?

If enough takers they should cost around £200 each - first one's closer to £5k (depending on grant) but that's my choice, still cheaper than a ruined engine.

It is not a "snorkle" as this implies that the rest of the air intake system is sealed - no one will guarantee that without a stripdown.

First should be ready around Christmas. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #72243 16th Jul 2010 9:01 pm
alex_pescaru

Sorry about the question, could seem a little off-topic, but how many times do you wanted to soak or do you planning to soak the car up to its windows or more?
Are you sure you bought the right car? Laughing

If you still want to go ahead, here is a target to be reached:

Post #72244 16th Jul 2010 9:10 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Could a D3/RRS/Def air intakes not be modified? And or used as a template Confused Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #72246 16th Jul 2010 9:34 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Nice one Alex - a bit deep even for a Freelander.
But joking aside I am going to go wading, the thought of flooding the engine is ruining my trips off-road.
One mistake and it's going to get very expensive.
As the video shows you cannot see what is under the surface, and Mrs. 131 isn't going wading to test the depth for me, there is NO way I am going to let her drive, while I wade or otherwise.

When we did the trip across the Sahara we used 3 air filters in a week - and the FL1 we were using has an air intake tucked away in the inner wing void. A raised intake would have helped, try getting replacement air filters for a Freelander in Morocco.
Knocking the sand out like the Defenders did is not an option due to the "more efficient design", but you are welcome to try.

The RRS and D3 air intakes are on the wrong side unfortunately.

I have seen a Defender snorkle that is on the correct side, and is rectangular section.
The Idea is to buy one of these and use it as a basis for one for mine.

Even at this depth stopping would bring the air intake perilously close to the water level, as it happen one of the wheels dropped down a hole and stopped me dead, just reversed and got back out. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #72247 16th Jul 2010 10:26 pm
alex_pescaru

Then you are one of the few that takes off-roading seriously with his/her FL2.
Even if the FL2 wasn't designed to go off-road seriously, like Defender for example.
In this case, indeed, you may need a snorkel. Have fun and cross fingers to find or to build one for your FL2.
And sorry if I was steping out of the line with my previously comments... Thumbs Up

Post #72252 17th Jul 2010 6:43 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

I know it isn't the "elegant" solution but a lot of guys with old Defenders make their own with drain pipes and flexible ducting from B&Q, the top is the L shaped section of downpipe designed to go over the soffit/bargeboard. The only difference between a RAI and a snorkel is a couple of O-rings to seal the join to the wing and where the intake goes through the inner wing. Have you tried Safari to see if they do a F2 version? How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #72265 17th Jul 2010 12:12 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

common sense tells me to suggest you sell the fl2 and buy a disco Confused might be simpler At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #72267 17th Jul 2010 1:04 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

No worries ALex - comments taken as they were ment I hope.

I understand that many FL owners don't take thiers off road, with a list price of over £35K I don't really blame them, but for me it does say Land Rover on the bonnet, either it is a Land Rover or it isn't.

I'm not saying that it is a Disco - it's far better (on tarmac), but with a little care an an awful big smile she will get me much futher than the competition.

Yes years ago I did want a Disco, the FL was a compromise (at home) between a Disco and a Mondeo. Too late now I am hooked, we live in a tiny street with a caravan on the drive so there is no where for a weekend off-roader, which to me would feel like cheating anyway. The whole point is that she will take me to work, and the far reaches of the planet should the feeling & cash take me. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #72273 17th Jul 2010 3:31 pm
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Andy131 wrote:
The whole point is that she will take me to work, and the far reaches of the planet should the feeling & cash take me.

Couldnt say it any better Thumbs Up freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #72296 18th Jul 2010 9:48 am
mentalbentalls

United Kingdom 

Andy, have you got anywhere with FL2 raised air intake? I would be very keen to put my name down for one. If for any reason you gave up, please let me know how far you got, I would be interested in seeing it through to production.
Also have you found anyone, or is it possable in your opinion to raise the FL2 with a strut extension as Bearmach do for the old Freelander? RRC 200tdi
FL2 on way (second hand)
Trek EX8

Post #88798 20th Jan 2011 12:38 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

The funding for technology innovation - yes there was such a thing, was withdrawn last year.
Hopefully a new incarnation is to be seen later this year - and I will be applying for funding.

One off ABS/polyprop mouldings are not cheap, the funding would have allowed for a draughtsmans time to CAD up, and a small production run to tempt retailers/forum members.

Will let you know when they ae available.

Haven't looked for raised suspension as I prefer to "plough" through using the Mantec underbody protection, this doesn't compromise the road holding. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #88938 20th Jan 2011 11:58 pm
mentalbentalls

United Kingdom 

Thank's for speedy reply. Fair comment on suspension. What tyre's do you use and what size?
Good luck with funding for air intake. RRC 200tdi
FL2 on way (second hand)
Trek EX8

Post #89003 21st Jan 2011 4:56 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Summer use I have a set of Goodyear Wrangler 235/60R18 as standard on the HSE in 2008.
Good grip on tarmac even when driven enthusiastically, reasonable off road until the tread is below 4mm.

Currently I have a set of Goodyear Wrangler MT 235/65R 17.
MT's were standard on the G4 vehicles, noisey but better in deep snow/mud. Also have more pronounced rim protector - would have prefered 16" wheels.

Too be honest the 18" wheels are a little scuffed Embarassed , it took some time until a set of MT's became available at the right price. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #89014 21st Jan 2011 5:33 pm
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Hi Andy131

any news on the raised Air intake possibility?

Keep me posted.

DR There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #112708 10th Sep 2011 6:39 pm
smiler1

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

DrownedRat wrote:
Hi Andy131

any news on the raised Air intake possibility?

Keep me posted.

DR

Hello Andy.
Like yourself, I like to use my FL off road, I love the comfort of the vehicle. I am running Cooper Discoverer STT's on it and it has not even looked like getting stuck yet, they do hum a bit as do the MTR's, but I am happy with that. I don't think there is a better car for the money to go from capable off road to 69+ Mph in such a short time.
I have a very prepped disco should I need to get really silly, it is just not as refiened. So I agree with you that there is more potential from this car yet.
I for one would love to fit a snorkel. Let us know how you have got on please. Very Happy

Post #125372 30th Dec 2011 4:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>