« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > SEATBELT ISSUE???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
looney_loey

United States 
SEATBELT ISSUE???

Just yesterday my wife had an incident/almost an accident with our LR2 while driving with my kids...
my daughter (9 yrs. old) seated at the back (driver side) fell asleep and somehow almost got strangled by the seatbelt...luckily my wife was able to run to a store and got her a scissor to cut em loose.

When I ask my wife to explain to me what happen, she said that they were able to unbuckle the seatbelt but the vertical shoulder belt was still wrapped to my daughters neck and the more they pull it the more it TIGHTENS!!!
(they even mention to me about the clicking sound it produce)

Now the question that remains in my mind!...Is it due to defective seatbelt? (an accident waiting to happen?) or was it a case of excessive slacking of the seatbelt thus the clicking sound and tightening effect?

I haven't called my dealership yet regarding this as I want to make sure if i can claim defect and have them replace it or was it a clear normal seatbelt behavior produced by excessing slacking of it?

thanks. Do Not Follow Me...You Can't Go Where I Go!!!

.....up in the tree!!!

Post #8700 17th Oct 2007 7:29 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

I hope your daughter, and wife are fine and will get over the initial shock of the accident.

Re your seatbelt, this is quite worrying to hear, Over here in the UK they have just brought in a law to say all children traveling in a car require to have a booster seat, this raises them up to allow the seat belt to fit them correctly.

I have had a look on my car and the seat belt pull out compltely and retract completely aswell with out any clicking (unless it pulled out too hard/fast)

On the other hand, my dads car (a Lexus RX400h) has rear seat belts that when fully pulled out had a clicking sound and this locks the belt in position, this is for the child/baby seats so you don't have to take up slack. All be it a hinderence when your are fitting the seat as if it goes back in too far you have to fully retract it to pull it fully out again.

Post #8703 17th Oct 2007 9:29 am
muddywheels

England 

Same thing happened with my son in our last car, (Jaguar X Type Estate). He leaned forward and engaged child seat locking mechanism then leaned back and seat belt tightened. He panicked but we stopped and released buckle and all was well - gave him a scare though!

I can imagine if belt got wrapped around childs neck this could be a problem if not enough slack to remove belt.

I think it is a bad design and an accident waiting to happen.

Post #8705 17th Oct 2007 9:36 am
Alicatt

Belgium 

Hope your wife and daughter are ok and suffer no traumas after the incident.
Not sure about the FL2 but the Disco3 and RRS if you pull out the rear seatbelts fully you engage a ratchet mechanisim for securely fastening loads and childseats. it is on the two outer seatbelts on the rear of the D3 and all three of the RRS seatbelts. My lad just had to find out when we went to the LRE back in July Shocked

Post #8706 17th Oct 2007 9:59 am
looney_loey

United States 

@ npinks, daughter and wifey are fine though still a little bit shaken and now my daughter feels uneasy sitting at the back. yup same law applies here...my daughter is already 9 yrs old. and 75lbs. I think the Law states that all children to ride in the back seat in a properly secured child passenger safety seat/restraint until they are at least 6 years old or weigh 60 pounds.

@muddywheels, It's either a defective belt mechanism or "a bad design and an accident waiting to happen" ...found out from mr. google that there have been a lot of seatbelt related issues but can't figure out why they don't take actions on them. my son who is already 7 yrs old still seats in a car seat with a 5-point harness, and to my belief is much safer than the factory/standard auto seatbelt due you can use the latch to hook it up firmly.

@Alicatt, they're a little bit fine thanks.. when I went to the dealership yesterday the service advisor showed me how that ratchet mechanism works for our LR2, but then I showed him that even if you not fully retract it but just do a tiny little jerk on it, it will engaged the lock mechanism as with all other seat belts are and we are guessing that might had happened. In my child's case I think the sensitivity level of the mechanism is i guess too much and really was an accident waiting to happen.

and now for the deeper Censored ! Shocked

NO SEATBELT PARTS for LR2!!! need to wait and now I'm wondering how long it's gonna be Rolling Eyes
* remember MUELLERFILM and his "Sunroof" part that's was replaced from cannibalizing another LR2 Shocked

NO EXTRA KEY FOB!!! 3 and a half months and still I don't have an extra key fob! this I really don't understand! how long does it takes to create one and order it from wherever place in the world???

It is just me or everyone thinks the same? that LR2 parts are like tomatoes that they'll only buy what needs to be use right away or else if stored too loooong it'll get rotten? Censored

LOANER CAR - "a third party rent a car company!" Shocked now, these shocked me a lot! ok, fine, went to the rent a car lot and to my surprise "No Land Rovers" then the agent told me I can choose whichever SEDAN I want!!! so I quickly grab my cell and called the LR centre manager and told him I need an SUV not a sedan, he talked to the agent and they agreed on renting me a large vehicle... then OH MY GAS! they're giving me an American SUV which is so far from the LUXURY that our LR2 have... "the reason why I bought a Land Rover is because of it's name brand and exclusivity...the feeling I get when people gives compliments on our Land Rovers!... not an American SUV or even an X3 with a Pizza Sign Delivery above it... no pun intended but haven't seen an LR with those aftermarket accessories!?! Whistle

the following day I called and ask if they have the parts! the moment they said no, I quickly ask "I want my vehicle back" "just call me if you already have the parts" and surely I got it back.

LEXUS is a luxury line of Toyota, my cousin who drives an RX whenever she have it service gets an RX in return the same model the same amenities. I believe BMW are following on their footsteps.

so "SHOULD I ask for a LR loaner vehicle next time I have it service?" Do Not Follow Me...You Can't Go Where I Go!!!

.....up in the tree!!!

Post #8839 20th Oct 2007 9:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1