« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Wading
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
Wading

The FL2's meant to be a fairly competent wader, obviously backed by the proper know-how, and I know a couple of forum members have already taken theirs for a swim. However, I just wondered how robust/forgiving the FL2 really is when it comes to wading.

As some of you know, I lost my first FL2 in the floods we had in the UK a few months back, when my car ploughed into initially about 3 foot of water, and spluttered to a halt and sat in water up to the top of the wheel arches for probably a good 15-20 minutes at least. Now I appreciate that this is deeper than the recommended maximum wading depth, but even at the "approved" depth (50cm?) I'd still reckon there would be a chance of suffering the same water ingestion that I did, perhaps by either finding an unexpected dip or suffering a bow wave "reflection" off a bank or other object.

After a lot of discussions with my insurers, my car was written off. This means that Direct Line were convinced that my FL2 was beyond economic repair, which to them means that the repair costs of my vehicle exceeded 60% of the cost of replacing the vehicle, so in other words they estimated the costs would exceed £14,000. Now I have to say that the assessor erred on the side of caution as to what would need replacing, but as a bare minimum they were talking about £8,000 just for an engine replacement, and add to that the fact that only one LR approved repair shop in the entire UK was willing to take on the work (non of the main dealers would touch it for fear of warranty issues coming back to haunt them) and I have to wonder how wise it really is to mix a FL2 + H2O.

I suppose with any "prestige" 4x4 it's going to be more expensive to repair any off-roading mishaps than it would be for a 20 year old Land Rover, and you realise a dinged panel could cost you a few £hundred to repair rather than £20, but when a car would seem susceptible to such catastophic and expensive damage, is it really practical to use it in this manner? Sure, no doubt you will soon be able to get a snorkel, but this is just food for thought for those of you who fancy a bit of wet'n'wild action with your babies. Basically, yes the car can wade, but get it wrong and you're Censored

Post #8658 16th Oct 2007 8:31 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

A really interesting and valid point you have made there

MMMMMMMmmmmm Question

I wonder what the outcome would have been if you drove through a deep puddle, instead of been forced off the road by farmer giles

Post #8685 16th Oct 2007 10:44 pm
cotefarmboy

United Kingdom 

Don't be fooled by the grilles on the side that look like the air intake (as on Disco 3), they are not!

The air intake is actually somewhere behind/below the passenger side headlight and hence the wading capability is limited as has been discovered Embarassed

Post #8701 17th Oct 2007 8:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Goldstone69

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Will not be wading in mine perhaps a bit of paddling now and then .......suggest those who feel the need go for something fully amphibious........visit http://www.coolstufftours.com/ the Hydra Spyder looks good fun.

Post #8704 17th Oct 2007 9:33 am
Rooleeds

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

It would be interesting to see what they do with the Freelalander 2 for the next G4 challenge.
Will they simply "pipe up" a snokel via the passenger side vent, (presumably connecting the intake from inside the front bumper or maybe connecting more directly to the engine). Freelander2 2.2 TD4 HSE, All Black, Full Sports body kit, Black side bars, Shadow Chrome 19"'s, Shadow Chrome Mirror Covers, F & R Lamp Guards, Privacy glass.

Post #8740 18th Oct 2007 4:09 pm
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Wading ?

Don't forget to watch this:

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic978.html

Post #8751 18th Oct 2007 9:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1