Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Is Stornaway Grey available in a spray can?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
Is Stornaway Grey available in a spray can?

I had one of my parking sensors replaced some months ago. Due to the fact at the time Storn Grey was not available in a spray can, they sprayed it a lighter blue'ish grey as in their opinion it looked better than black.

My dealers body shop is not at the same site and this would mean them driving my car to the body shop and back again to get them to mix up some paint to paint a small area.

I have just booked into for my service and said I want this to be sorted either way, has anybody come across Storn grey in a spray can yet? or are they going to have to do a 40mile trip to get it painted?

Was stornaway grey a new colour when the FL2 came out or has it been around a while, (I'm sure I have seen grey land rovers around prior to the FL2) Question

Post #8366 11th Oct 2007 5:20 pm
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

npinks. In my experience spray can paint is not as good as paint mixed at a body shop.
They can take the cover off your car that goes over the fuel filler cap and take it over to the body shop with the parking sensor while you keep your car. This way they can get the exact colour match and you keep your car.
Let a reputable body shop do the work and let LR pay for it.

waaxh03

Post #8377 11th Oct 2007 9:18 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I won't be doing the work myself,

The storn grey is not available in a spray car is the excuse the service department gives,

I have said I want it sorting, wether they have to take the sensor out or take the car to the bodyshop.

I have a loan car from them arranged and i keep it till they sort it correctly.

Post #8429 12th Oct 2007 11:14 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Have you tried contacting one of the companies like Dentmaster or Chipsaway - they can mix any shade to match the original and they will come to your house or office to do the job. I had Chipsaway come to repair a big scratch that somebody put in the tailgate of my Giverny Green RRS, the guy didn't recognise the shade (it isn't that common a choice among Land Rover Owners) but used the data from the VIN plate to get the recipe for mixing the exact shade from his paint kit in the back of his van. You have to look really carefully to see where the repair was done and 99.999% of folks don't even see it - to me it sticks out like a sore thumb but then I know where the repair was! The local dealer wanted nigh on £500 to do the job and needed the car for 3 days, Chipsaway did it for £75 on my drive, in March and it was snowing so he rigged a gazebo over the car and rigged all sorts of heaters and blowers then used a special heat gun to cure the paint. You can find your nearest Chipsaway in the yellow pages or online, they are all franchises How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #8433 12th Oct 2007 11:35 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

If they don't do the painting of the parking sensor when it in, i will go to management and tell them to get chipsaway of simular company to do the parking sensor.

I know they can paint Storn Grey as the had to repaint the rear bumper when I pointed out a blemish in the paintwork.

I think it is just the fact that the can't be bothered driving the car to the body shop which is off site, and they want to wait for the spray can paint to come available.

But I think waiting 3 or 4 months with a parking sensor thats painted a different colour is not acceptable.

Post #8435 12th Oct 2007 11:47 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1