« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > any dvd player suggestions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
colian

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
any dvd player suggestions

which make of dvd plyers are you guys with rear entertainment screens using as i bought cheap version of a well known auction site that keeps freezing when playing i suppose you get what you pay for looking at veba for under seat fittment any suggestions welcome thanks
ian

Post #43620 20th Jun 2009 8:08 pm
chris8of9

Isle Of Man 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black

I fitted a Veba AV2705 under the passenger seat. I liked it because it has a USB and SD input also. The unit has been spot on so far. I also fitted a noise supression unit between the DVD and the AV inputs to the rear screens to stop noise when the car is running.

Link and pic follow

Hope this helps

Chris

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/veba-av2705...-9644.html

Click image to enlarge

Post #43635 21st Jun 2009 1:25 am
colian

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

thanks chris is the noise supression unit required and if so where did you purchase it from thanks again ian

Post #43639 21st Jun 2009 9:14 am
chris8of9

Isle Of Man 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black

I didn’t have any problems with noise when using a portable DVD player connected to the AV inputs, however as soon as I installed a DVD player I got noise through the audio similar to a whine which changed pitch with the revs indicating a ground loop.

I fitted a noise suppression unit (ground loop isolator) to the DVD player power input. Any of the following units should do, I used the one at the bottom of the page which has done the job just fine.

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/CarInstallaccessor...ession.htm

You could also consider the following link, as this should also do the same job.

http://www.m-99.co.uk/Car_Audio/Noise_Supp...essor.html

Cheers

Chris

Post #43642 21st Jun 2009 12:26 pm
roystenhouse

2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Zermatt Silver

chris

I also bought the DVD player suggested after seeing your post. Any chance of further pictures on how you monuted the player and what connections you chose to link into to provide battery / ignition?

Thanks
Roy

Post #74126 17th Aug 2010 9:13 am
LCnine

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

BTW, had an Alpine unit installed, DHA-S690. Works flawlessly. I'll sheepishly admit that one primary criteria for selecting the DVD player was for the components match [w/OEM Alpine-branded system]. Now if only I can find a small, programmable remote to eliminate the need for both Alpine and LR remotes, like an automotive version of the Logitech Harmony series... That would be nice.

Post #74342 19th Aug 2010 10:22 pm
roystenhouse

Have you considered emailing Alpine... Sometimes these guys like to hear from folks and "may be just may be" they have a programming mode that only Alpine know about..

I will ask a couple mates in the local car audio to see if there is an automotive programmable remote...!

Roy

Post #74353 20th Aug 2010 7:34 am
Stevea

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Fitted the rear screens the other week and am now toying around with the idea of installing a dedicated DVD player under the front passenger seat. First off, for those that have installed a DVD player, have you been able to 'hard wire' into the AV system without having the red / yellow / white cables plugged into the back of the centre console? Also, with the ipod I was able to plug the audio into the AUX jack, giving me the audio through the FL2's speaker when swiched to AUX... is this still possible if I use a dedicated dvd player?
As a cheap alternative to a dvd player, i've also been looking at a PS2 slim, which i beleive you can get a 12v power adaptor for.

Chris8of9 /others - how are you finding the Veba DVD unit? - are you able to get audio through the FL2 speakers? anything else to look out for? Looking for a clean installation with as few cables on show as possilbe...

Cheers for any advice / suggestions... Bow down

Steve 2008 SE, HSE wheels, Black Premium Leather, Privacy Glass, Sports Kit, Side Steps, various LED upgrades and Clear side indicators.

Post #83115 5th Dec 2010 5:37 pm
roystenhouse

I hooked up the Iphone 4 through the Ipod Video Cable (red, White and Yellow version) into the DVD player AUX in. However you can also hook up using the landrover in at the rear of the unit but the wires are a little messy.

I decided to have the cables to the rear unit come up through the console to "minimise" the cable effect.

I will post a couple pictures this week and a diagram if I can draw something to show you how I hooked up DVD, IPOD and anything else you wish to throw at the rear screens.

I did not manage to bypass the plug in at the rear.

I also hooked up audio through aux in and use the FL 2 speakers and the video appears on the screen or no FL2 audio but headphone audio.

Roy

Post #83123 5th Dec 2010 7:32 pm
Stevea

Cheers Roy, look forward to the pics. Thumbs Up
Steve 2008 SE, HSE wheels, Black Premium Leather, Privacy Glass, Sports Kit, Side Steps, various LED upgrades and Clear side indicators.

Post #83154 5th Dec 2010 11:15 pm
roystenhouse

Hear is the wiring diagram with the DVD player, IPHONE video options. If you cannot read I will scan in a copy.

Photos to follow once I get back in the car as i have the missus car whilst we have 10 feet of snow to drive through!

Its not perfect but it works well. I have the choice of watching a DVD or Iphone Video and sound either from the car speakers or the headphones. I will say this option only exists for the Iphone because I dont want "more" cables to put the audio through the headphone jack in the console when wtching a DVD.

The console is a little messy with the cables being plugged in. To be honest now that I have installed this entertainment I am considering uninstalling all of it and hiding it all under the passenger seat as the inputs are for a system without a DVD player / iphone connection. It would make it much neater and hide all the cables. It only take a couple hours to install now that I have done it so to undo it would only take a short time.

Click image to enlarge

I hope that makes sense....?

[/img]

Post #83206 6th Dec 2010 3:37 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I fitted Alpine screens, and an Alpine 6 discs DVD player under the passenger seat. We have Infra red headphones, but I have also used the standard AUX input on the centre console, so that when we press AUX on the dash, the cound comes through the OEM Alpine surround sound system. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #83210 6th Dec 2010 3:50 pm
Stevea

Thanks for the diagram Roy... much appreciated... look forward to the photos...
Mav what Alpine 6 disc changer did you go with - DHA-S690?? Where you able to 'hide' the cables, or do they just plug into the back of the centre console?

Has anyone gone the Ps2 route (for DVD, not for games)

Cheers

Post #83249 6th Dec 2010 7:02 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

I use an iPod for mine - and its perfect... Thumbs Up

I have a standard iPod video cable (found of fleabay for 20quid) with splitter which i then have a small 3.5mm jack adaptor for the aux in so the kids can listen over the stereo.. I originally had them using the headphones but they kept falling off my little one!!

The iPod is good because I can get at least 6 - 7 movies on my 16GB (plus lots of music) and it means that it is not always plugged in for the kids to abuse just on short trips. And when it is plugged in I dont find the wires that bad, and if the iPod breaks, its not a mission to replace.

Incidentally whilst the kids listen to the video over the speakers, i plug my earphone into the rear headphone sockets and listen to my music Thumbs Up Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #83250 6th Dec 2010 7:32 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Stevea wrote:
Thanks for the diagram Roy... much appreciated... look forward to the photos...
Mav what Alpine 6 disc changer did you go with - DHA-S690?? Where you able to 'hide' the cables, or do they just plug into the back of the centre console?

Has anyone gone the Ps2 route (for DVD, not for games)

Cheers
Steve

Yep, it is the DHA S690. All the cables are hidden under the carpets and the centre console, the AUX in socket looks normal, but it is disconnect underneath the console and connect to the DVD sound output. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #83697 9th Dec 2010 7:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1