« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Inflating tyres in sub-zero temperatures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
psyxologos

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Inflating tyres in sub-zero temperatures

Hallo all. On my way back home a while ago I stoped at the petrol station to refuel and I decided to check tyre pressure. I topped the tyres with air up to the recommended pressure, but when I arrived home I had an epiphany: It is -7C out there and I tped the air up as normal. Given that air will be somehow more dense now that the temperature is so low, will I have a problem with over inflated tyres when the weather warms up? I do not want to end up with massively over inflated tyres. Any help is appreciated. Many thanks.

Post #83614 9th Dec 2010 3:12 am
zoey

United States 

Don't forget that if you drive more than 2 Km or so, flexing of the tire will increase the temperature, which increases pressure. Thus, pressures should be evaluated when the tires are "cold" (out of the sun, and stationary for a reasonable amount of time).

As the ambient temperature increases, so will the pressure within your tires. Hence the reason that you should check your pressures on a weekly basis, or when there are significant ambient temperature fluctuations. Of course you could send yourself to the loony bin checking pressures several times a day (due to day/night changes), or simply check them once weekly and know that you are at least ahead of approximately 98% of the populous who drive.

The quality and calibration of your pressure gauge can't be understated. I just sent my gauge back to the manufacturer for recalibration. It was found to be 8Lbs off. Shocked

Post #83615 9th Dec 2010 4:39 am
psyxologos

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

zoey wrote:
Don't forget that if you drive more than 2 Km or so, flexing of the tire will increase the temperature, which increases pressure. Thus, pressures should be evaluated when the tires are "cold" (out of the sun, and stationary for a reasonable amount of time).

As the ambient temperature increases, so will the pressure within your tires. Hence the reason that you should check your pressures on a weekly basis, or when there are significant ambient temperature fluctuations. Of course you could send yourself to the loony bin checking pressures several times a day (due to day/night changes), or simply check them once weekly and know that you are at least ahead of approximately 98% of the populous who drive.

The quality and calibration of your pressure gauge can't be understated. I just sent my gauge back to the manufacturer for recalibration. It was found to be 8Lbs off. Shocked

I inflated the tyres after a 60 mile journey. As I said, I topped it up to the recommended pressure, but it was -7C at the time. I hope this helps.

Post #83617 9th Dec 2010 5:43 am
EYorkshire

The rule of thumb is for every 10° Fahrenheit change in air temperature, your tyre's inflation pressure will change by about 1 psi (up with higher temperatures and down with lower).

So working in Centigrade if it warmed up from -7 degrees C to +4 degrees C you would have an extra 2psi. Nothing too much to worry about for a few days.

Post #83619 9th Dec 2010 8:22 am
mattbridge

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

zoey wrote:

This previous post is spot on advice. What you inflate your tyres too at a given time is only relevant to the current ambient temp and weekly checks are the best way to keep them roughly correct. Always check them before a journey and not during or after as you could be underinflating due to pressures being up from the aforementioned temp increases. To make this easier consider a small compressor (I got a ring 600 for £24) and it takes me 10 mins to check them every Sat morning without having to take a trip out to the garage (sad I know, but convinced it saves on tyres and fuel). The missus - SD4 HSE - Black - 2012
Me - BMW 330d Saloon - Black - 2011

Post #83631 9th Dec 2010 10:45 am
athelstan

psyxologos
LR recommend the following above / below a mean temperature of 20°C / 68°F:

When any decrease or increase in temperature above /below that datum point occurs then the tyre pressures should be adjusted by: 0.14 Bar, 14 kPa, or 2 lb Psi., for each 10°C (20°F) change. Increase pressures when the ambient temperature drops below 20°C / 68°F and decrease pressures when the temperature rises above that point.

So what you can determine here is that there is a reasonable safe margin for correct tyre pressures during changes in the ambient temperature on any given day and it is generally not necessary to continually change your tyre pressure.

As stated in previous posts, firstly get yourself a decent accurate tyre pressure gauge, then check your tyre pressures after the car has been standing (for example at least an hour) and then recheck on a weekly basis or when you move into a totally different climate regime i.e. you go on holiday from UK to Greece in August or from UK to Siberia in winter.

Post #83634 9th Dec 2010 11:17 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

dont forget that the compresor will warm the air slightly as it passes thru the pump, the very act of compressing something causes heat At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #83635 9th Dec 2010 11:18 am
mattbridge

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

yep I always go a psi or 2 over, leave them and use a guage after and leak a bit out until its ok. I really do have too much time on my hands on a morning 1 Confused The missus - SD4 HSE - Black - 2012
Me - BMW 330d Saloon - Black - 2011

Post #83646 9th Dec 2010 12:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1