Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Fuel Economy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 12 <123 4 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
rovers

England 2007 LR2 TD4 GS Manual Tambora Flame

Hello Dave,Yes a little cruise control were traffic aloud but find the foot more economical. I have a LR2GS with privacy glass and winter pack

Post #7973 5th Oct 2007 11:06 am
Ub2

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black
Fuel economy in Australia

Hello all
Have just fueled up fot the first time as the dealer provided a full tank of diesel on delivery. I put 68L into it for 711km so that is 9.56L/100k around town. Not bad for a brand new auto.

Regards Regards Ub2
My first Landie; SE TD4 auto Sunroof, Narvik Black with Alpacca interior, towbar & rear spoiler.

Post #8058 6th Oct 2007 11:46 am
chrisaviss

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue
fuel consumption

I cannot see how the FL2 can achieve more than 40mpg, as suggested in the previous messages.
My FL1 was put to the test at around 60k miles, before I got hold of this particular wonderful machine, and I achieved 40.5mpg, including a journey to and from the Lake District, making a total of 270 miles for the test run.
The results of fuel consumptions for the FL2 that have been posted are so diverse that they immediately invite criticism.
My own FL2 (auto) consumption figures vary from 31.1 to 31.7. The former figure includes two express runs across the Pennines and back, plus a very early morning speed run (for about 10 mins), and the latter when I've been careful.
It will be interesting to see any difference as the engine gradually beds in; I certainly did with the FL1 at around 30k, and I expect to see it on this one.
I am also changing the engine oil, as I said I would, but to Castrol "Edge", not Mobil, tomorrow. Let's see if that makes a difference to the mpg.

Post #8259 9th Oct 2007 9:41 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Given I can constantly get 39+ mpg (according to the trip computer) with my manual at a steady 70mph (indicated), I reckon by turning the a/c to "economy" I could easily top 40mpg.

Last edited by NightFox on 9th Oct 2007 10:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #8262 9th Oct 2007 9:47 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

NightFox wrote:
Given I can constantly get 39+ mpg (according to the trip computer) with my manual at a ateady 70mph (indicated), I reckon by turning the a/c to "economy" I could easily top 40mpg.

I got the same reading on my manual TD4, 39mpg at 70 mph topped 40.1mpg at 65mph on a trip to drop the parents off at the airport, but normally for me the readings are around the 29/31mpg with my size 11 on the accelerator and the speedo pointing more towards the triple figures end of the dial

Post #8267 9th Oct 2007 10:01 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: fuel consumption

chrisaviss wrote:
I cannot see how the FL2 can achieve more than 40mpg, as suggested in the previous messages.
My FL1 was put to the test at around 60k miles, before I got hold of this particular wonderful machine, and I achieved 40.5mpg, including a journey to and from the Lake District, making a total of 270 miles for the test run.
The results of fuel consumptions for the FL2 that have been posted are so diverse that they immediately invite criticism.
My own FL2 (auto) consumption figures vary from 31.1 to 31.7. The former figure includes two express runs across the Pennines and back, plus a very early morning speed run (for about 10 mins), and the latter when I've been careful.
It will be interesting to see any difference as the engine gradually beds in; I certainly did with the FL1 at around 30k, and I expect to see it on this one.
I am also changing the engine oil, as I said I would, but to Castrol "Edge", not Mobil, tomorrow. Let's see if that makes a difference to the mpg.

chrisaviss, you say invite critisism, not quite right perhaps you means 'question'

Because I'm a bit of an 'anal' character I keep rather detailed fuel records which are open to inspection ...

First, I have 18k miles worth of data, all computed on full to full basis. The starting point for my measurements was that on delivery of the car the first thing I did was fill it right up (despite being supplied with an allegedly full tank I squeezed a further 15 litres in!!) bloody skin flint dealer Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

What I have found is that the fuel computer is surprisingly accurate, the full to full calculation has never been more than 0.5mpg off what the computer shows. By the strangest of coincidences I've just been updating my spreadsheet with data from my 'little black book' that I keep in the car, yes I told you I was anal !!! (I also commented on the stop/start button being square and whenever I replace the diesel cap the writing on the cap has to be the right way up and exactly horizontal - go on Carl tel them its true !!!)

What I can tell you is that the whole life fuel consumption of my car to date, at just over 18k miles, is 37.04 mpg. There are a few hundred miles of towing the (sssh ..caravan) which dragged the average down a bit, Oh and quite a few off road sessions. There are several tanks fulls where the average has been over 40 mpg, several tank fulls where I achieved over 600 miles full to full. I have achieved these figures by thoughtful driving, I make very good progress, I do not drive like the local vicar !!! Although these days I certainly don't sit on the motorway at 90+, that was one of the benefits of getting the FL2, I've slowed down a bit.

Today has been a good example of what the car can do, my days work involved travelling to Birmingham and back, from Stockport .. and the computers says ... 194 miles at 44.8mpg !!!

Post #8282 10th Oct 2007 1:42 am
Ra

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Rimini Red
Re: Fuel economy in Australia

Ub2 wrote:
Hello all
Have just fueled up fot the first time as the dealer provided a full tank of diesel on delivery. I put 68L into it for 711km so that is 9.56L/100k around town. Not bad for a brand new auto.

Regards

I had similar fuel economy in the first couple of thousand kms. I've had mine for 7 weeks and now, after 4500km, I'm averaging 8.5l/100km around town.

Ra

Post #8286 10th Oct 2007 6:19 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Quote:
194 miles at 44.8mpg !!!

Was that down the M6 Question ...........bet you didn't get out of 2nd gear all the way Rolling with laughter ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #8288 10th Oct 2007 7:54 am
JMMYM

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

My manual TD4 is doing 32-33mpg mixed, driving moderately. Reckon it wouldn't see 40mpg even it I towed it. Laughing Having said that it's a major improvement on the 2.8 petrol Audi Avant I had prior which would see mpg in late teens if a bit heavy with right foot. FL2 is ten times more pleasurable to drive as well. Thumbs Up

Post #8311 10th Oct 2007 2:41 pm
John-Boy

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Galway Green

Last weekend I drove 400 miles towing a trailer carrying a motocross motorbike, cruising at around 70-75 mph on mostly A roads and Motorways (M3 and M25). The computer showed an average of 36 mpg.

My normal driving without a trailer but on mostly rural roads, rarely getting into sixth gear, the average is 35.7 mpg.

I am not too displeased with those figures.

Post #8322 10th Oct 2007 7:29 pm
chrisaviss

fuel consumption

I'd love to have pretty well any LR with one of their new V8 diesels under the bonnet. However, like most of us, we have to make do with an engine half the size, that being perhaps the FL2. (I'm discounting the petrol jobs - sorry!) And that has a lot to do with the dreaded fuel consumption, and the exorbitant price/tax etc per litre.
I wrote previously that I had proudly achieved 40.5 mpg on my FL1, on a fairly varied route.
We now have Avtur professing to attain more or less the same consumption in his brilliant FL2. And I have seen written calculations to show a massive 48+ mpg on a manual job. However, I thought it impolite to check those figures, especially as the proud owner was obviously cock-a-hoop. I honestly cannot believe these figures. The fuel consumption difference between auto and manual transmission has decreased over the years for most cars (engines), and even though the manual, ie the bod rather than the bot, always comes on top, the discrepancy between auto and manual is too much to believe.

Post #8477 12th Oct 2007 7:44 pm
Dave

Well, now having my tyres at the correct pressure, I can now confirm that my mpg has gone up from an average of 31.5 to 36.5 driving the same route everyday with the same driving style.

I'm now hoping that a run down to Worcester next week (465 miles) will yield more than 32mpg as it did previously. ______________________
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #8478 12th Oct 2007 7:50 pm
chrisaviss

tyre pressures

UKdave -what pressure (F & R)?

Post #8480 12th Oct 2007 7:54 pm
Goldstone69

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

My average mpg is only 29-32 only done 1900 miles though will check tyre pressure tomorrow .

Post #8481 12th Oct 2007 7:57 pm
Dave

It was previously 30psi front and rear (this was what the dealer had inflated them to..........never trust the dealer!!. The label on the drivers door pillar quotes 32psi all round.

The vehicle manufacturer will state a tyre pressure that will give a comfortable ride within the pressure limits of the tyre.

The correct tyre pressure is calculated by the information given on the tyre wall. I forget the math at the moment, but will post it later when I find it, got it written down here somewhere.

My tyres are now inflated to 34psi all round, which is really 1psi less than what it should be but I'm happy with that. ______________________
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #8482 12th Oct 2007 8:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 12 <123 4 ... 101112>