Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > North America > Why does the North American auto press hate the LR2?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jonesy08054

United States 
Why does the North American auto press hate the LR2?

I am in the market for a new car, and have been seriously considering the LR2. I currently have an 04 Audi A4 with quattro, and it has been a great car. However, I'm ready for a change, but I still want all-wheel drive and I'd like a little more space. I've now driven the LR2 twice, and think that it is a great drive and a great value in comparison to some of the other stuff that is out there (X3 & RDX). What I'd like to know is, why do all of the North American auto journals hate the LR2? In every comparison test, they state that it is underpowered, the suspension is too loose, the interior is crap, and that it will probably fall apart on you because it is a Land Rover. In short, they say that it isn't an X3. However, if you do any type of google.co.uk search for the Freelander2, the brits can't say enough about how wonderful the car is.

Is anybody else fed up with the BMW bias that America has taken over the last 10-20 years? Evil or Very Mad I bought my Audi because it wasn't a 3 Series, and now I think I'm gonna buy an LR2 because it isn't an X3. I just with someone stateside would give the LR2 a little credit for being a great car.

I'm done with my rant now, and by the way, this is my first post here, and hopefully I will be able to make some more if I ever get one of these awesome vehicles.

Post #6252 6th Sep 2007 4:06 am
paulwlee

Hmm.. my impression was that there were a couple that liked the X3 better, but then there were a couple others that liked the LR2 better. It's pretty obvious from all the reviews that driving dynamics are much better with the X3, but the ride comfort is a lot better with the LR2. If you value sporty handling then the X3 wins, but if you value better off-road capability or more supple ride the LR2 wins.

I'm seriously eyeing the LR2 for my next vehicle, but a tad uncomfortable with all those Land Rover quality horror stories..

Post #6253 6th Sep 2007 4:52 am
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

I think that there is a bit of a British bias towards LR, but once you put that aside, I think the X3 has got an identity crisis - if you want a traditional true 4x4 off-roader (or I guess a traditional compact SUV in your language), then it loses out to the LR2, but on the other hand, if you want a road car, then ir probably beats the LR2, but then loses out to 100's of other vehicles. I think BMW just produced it to fill a gap in their product line, so those loyal to the blue and white badge who wanted to move into the growing ownership of compact SUVs didn't have to stray from BMW.

As for reliability and build quality, most of LR's sketchy past relates to one particular manufacturing plant. The plant where the LR2 is produced is in a different league.

Post #6272 6th Sep 2007 10:36 am
paulwlee

NightFox wrote:
As for reliability and build quality, most of LR's sketchy past relates to one particular manufacturing plant. The plant where the LR2 is produced is in a different league.

Yes, that's what Land Rover said and what gave me hope, but I'm reading lots and lots of comments about non-starting LR2's, trim pieces falling off, electronics errors, etc. That doesn't sound at all like being in a different league with the LR3/Discovery 3.

If I weren't so smitten by Land Rovers, I'd be running the other way very fast.
I really hope these issues get corrected within the next year or so.

Post #6309 6th Sep 2007 10:11 pm
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

yeah but, no but, yeah but.....

don't forget we're all a bit FL2 anoraky and pick out the extreme points. Even with the issues which have been raised, I think this is still the best vehicle I've owned in terms of smileyfactor Smile .

I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Post #6310 6th Sep 2007 10:27 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Jonesy, I am from Germany, and I have owned Mercedes and BMW's for the past 15 years with in general good experience with regard to reliability and quality.
My last car was a BMW X3 which I have 4 weeks ago traded against a Landrover Freelander 2 Automatic.
The reason to get rid of the X3 was the lousy suspension and ride quality. I could not use the X3 for longer trips as otherwise my back would pain for days.
When the question came up to exchange the X3 against annother SUV, I have seen the Freelander 2 at Frankfurt airport exposed as a show car and immediately fell in love with it. This was March 2007. But the LR 2 was on sale in Germany only from May 03 2007 onward, and I had to wait until than.
Meanwhile I tried to get as many information on this car as I possibly could, and the qualitiy and reliability issue has become a critical point.
What I have heard from the British Landrover Forum was not very encuraging, but the reported problems on the LR 2 were limited and only small.
So I decided to make the step and ordered my Freelander 2 beginning of May with delivery on August 03, 2007.
Since then I owe the LR 2 and have driven more than 5.000 miles with no problems whatsoever. The suspension is fantastic, the ride quality very good, handling and agility maybe not so exposed as with the X3, but absolutly satisfactory.
In Germany we have one very good bi-weekly Motor Magazin "Auto Motor Sport". It is said that their test crew is BMW biased, as this manufacturer winns nearly every comparison test in this magazin.
In their last issue, AMS have compared the Freelander 2 with the X3, RAV4, Mitsubishi Outlander and Honda CRV. The clear winner is the Freelander 2 and build quality, ride quality, excellent suspension and engine performance were praised. My (agreed, short) experience comes to the same conclusion. It is a very fine vehicle!

Yamaha-Fan

Post #6333 7th Sep 2007 12:19 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
It's brilliant!!!!

Jonesy;

I think you'll find that many of the small glitches reprted on here are predominantly from early production models of the FL2. I got my SE TD4 Auto in early July, and it drives like a dream, on and off-road! Thumbs Up

In my experience, professional car reviewers often have their own agenda. Evil or Very Mad

Trust your own judgement and of course your test drive Thumbs Up
 Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #6370 7th Sep 2007 8:34 pm
Jonesy08054

United States 

thanks for all of the feedback y'all. It's good to hear some positive from people. Thumbs Up

Post #6372 7th Sep 2007 8:52 pm
michaelC

Canada 2007 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Just got my LR2 and joined the forum. Hope you ended up with an LR2 because it is a fantastic SUV. I didn't get the negative sense as you do as most review (online) was quite positive and even the ones with the X3 on top always talks about pure performance and not the ride, not to mentioned the X5 mini-me problem with the X3. personally I think the X3 and the RDX is quite ugly and much more like a jack-up station wagon. The only one that gets away with that look is the Volvo XC-90 which co-incidentally has the same engine as the LR2 but much more bloated.

I am also one of the unfortunate soul that actually liked my 2003 Freelander so maybe I am just LR bias....... Smile

Post #8246 9th Oct 2007 6:31 pm
mack

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Re: Why does the North American auto press hate the LR2?

Jonesy08054 wrote:
I am in the market for a new car, and have been seriously considering the LR2. I currently have an 04 Audi A4 with quattro, and it has been a great car. However, I'm ready for a change, but I still want all-wheel drive and I'd like a little more space. I've now driven the LR2 twice, and think that it is a great drive and a great value in comparison to some of the other stuff that is out there (X3 & RDX). What I'd like to know is, why do all of the North American auto journals hate the LR2? In every comparison test, they state that it is underpowered, the suspension is too loose, the interior is crap, and that it will probably fall apart on you because it is a Land Rover. In short, they say that it isn't an X3. However, if you do any type of google.co.uk search for the Freelander2, the brits can't say enough about how wonderful the car is.

Is anybody else fed up with the BMW bias that America has taken over the last 10-20 years? Evil or Very Mad I bought my Audi because it wasn't a 3 Series, and now I think I'm gonna buy an LR2 because it isn't an X3. I just with someone stateside would give the LR2 a little credit for being a great car.

I'm done with my rant now, and by the way, this is my first post here, and hopefully I will be able to make some more if I ever get one of these awesome vehicles.
Your probably right it is the BMW bias, see my topic Top Gear for the Brit opinion of the FL2 Mack

HSE TD4 Sumatra Black

Post #8253 9th Oct 2007 9:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1