Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > New SD4 turbo diesel engine ?How..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tuwana

Turkey 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
New SD4 turbo diesel engine ?How..

Hi,
What is the differences between the SD4 and TD4 engines?Has it got a new turbo unit,why the power is so high?The maximum torque gives the power at a lower round.(1750 instead of 2000 round/m)İs it chipped? Razz

Max power 190 HP at 4000 rpm (our is 160 hp at 4000 rpm)
Max torque 420 nm. at 170 rpm (instead of 400nm /2000 rpm) Big Cry Off Road major rule:As slowly as possible, as fast as necessary!

Post #80610 13th Nov 2010 12:44 pm
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

The main thing with diesel engines is the torque. The SD4 has only 5% more than the TD4. The extra BHP is good for stright line performance with loads of revving involved, but mid range, overtaking and hill climbing power is hardly any different. I certainly wont be rushing to buy an SD4. Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #80614 13th Nov 2010 3:15 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

It's not 'chipped', chipping is an old term for crude engine tuning, when a 'chip' was placed in the ECU to change parameters like fuel delivery. Remapping's the modern way!

The new engine has a revised turbo and re-writtten engine map to suit, so it produces more power and torque all over the rev range. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #80617 13th Nov 2010 4:16 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

philsh wrote:
The main thing with diesel engines is the torque. The SD4 has only 5% more than the TD4. The extra BHP is good for stright line performance with loads of revving involved, but mid range, overtaking and hill climbing power is hardly any different. I certainly wont be rushing to buy an SD4.

Have you driven the SD4? I have and it is chalk and cheese compared to the TD4, it is way way quicker in all area's. Mid range torque is a cut above the TD4. Now the SD4 is out, I would not even consider a TD4 when I come to change. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #80910 16th Nov 2010 11:01 pm
tuwana

philsh wrote:
The main thing with diesel engines is the torque. The SD4 has only 5% more than the TD4. e extra BHP is good for stright line performance with loads of revving involved, but mid range, overtaking and hill climbing power is hardly any different. I certainly wont be rushing to buy an SD4.

Thank you for your answer but it's max torque output at the lower revving,1750 rpm instead of 2000 rpm.Does it make a big difference? Surprised Off Road major rule:As slowly as possible, as fast as necessary!

Post #81489 22nd Nov 2010 11:23 am
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Bound too.

Not wishing to teach people to suck eggs, but Torque = Acceleration. So, If the engine is developing 420Nm at 1700 rpm you will be accelerating more and earlier in the power range.

It is linear as well. The Superchips power graphs show the standard TD4 at about 320 Nm at 1750 rpm. If the SD4 if producing 420 Nm that will equate to a 30% increase in acceleration.

I haven't driven one, but based on the figures and looking at the torque curves for the TD4, the SD4 is going to feel like a completely different car. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #81495 22nd Nov 2010 11:55 am
tuwana

Big Dave wrote:
It's not 'chipped', chipping is an old term for crude engine tuning, when a 'chip' was placed in the ECU to change parameters like fuel delivery. Remapping's the modern way!

The new engine has a revised turbo and re-writtten engine map to suit, so it produces more power and torque all over the rev range.

Thank you Big Dave,Chipped is wrong word you're rigth,it must be mapping of ECU.I investigated the mapping technics and found some companies.Superchips/Bluefin.Although they remap the ecu,the max torque at 1750 rpm is lower than the original (400 nm>> at 2000 rpm in original,440 nm >>at 2415 rpm in superchips) ,they give the max output of tork only 2415 rpm. It is not sufficient,I want this power at lower rev. Big Cry Off Road major rule:As slowly as possible, as fast as necessary!

Post #81506 22nd Nov 2010 1:48 pm
tuwana

Hi mav 71

[quote="Mav71"]

philsh wrote:

Have you driven the SD4? I have and it is chalk and cheese compared to the TD4, it is way way quicker in all area's. Mid range torque is a cut above the TD4. Now the SD4 is out, I would not even consider a TD4 when I come to change.

Hi mav 71 I haven't but I want to try it. Off Road major rule:As slowly as possible, as fast as necessary!

Post #81508 22nd Nov 2010 1:57 pm
tuwana

xtattsbox wrote:
Bound too.

The Superchips power graphs show the standard TD4 at about 320 Nm at 1750 rpm. If the SD4 if producing 420 Nm that will equate to a 30% increase in acceleration.

Yes, I have same opinion with you.I examined the superchips power-torque graphics,they gives only 337 nm torque at 1750 rpm,but the original td4 is 375 nm at same rpm Wink Off Road major rule:As slowly as possible, as fast as necessary!

Post #81509 22nd Nov 2010 2:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1