Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Transmission whine!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Martin4x4

Transmission whine!

We have just bought a HSL auto with 16,000miles on the clock. It's mainly my wifes car, and she has been complaining about an annoying whine, more so when I was driving and she was sat in the front seat. So we took it back to the dealer. They diagnosed a steering issue and replaced the steering fluid and reservoir. This was no better so it went back and they replaced the steering rack.

It was again no better - so we took one of the mechanics out in the car and eventually he recognised that it is in fact the auto box that is making the nose. It can also there even when the car is stationary.

On Wednesday I took another independet motor engineer out for a run (who also runs a F2, but with a manual box) and his comment was not only about the whine, but also there was a vibration on the front passenger floor which also could be felt in the seat

So we have taken the car back to the dealer and asked for it to be exchanged. They have agreed to this and we test drove the replacement, which was like driving a completly different car! No whine and it just seemed so much smoother.

My feeling is that the first one is a 'dud'. Howevr the dealer want us to pay for the milage we did in the dud (4k), eventualy agreed at £500. However the replacement has the same mileage as the one we are handing back, which does not seem fair to me!
Is anyone else having this problem, or similar experience with handing back a car?

Post #80603 13th Nov 2010 10:36 am
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Re vibration felt in floorpan, read thread that has been going for a while. Last post was on 3rd Nov, #
10 MY GS Auto vibration problems. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #80730 15th Nov 2010 12:41 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

If only it was that easy to resolve... Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #80746 15th Nov 2010 4:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1