« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > FL2 steering issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tanters

FL2 steering issues

I've come over from d'udder side to ask a question about your beloved FL2

Friend of mine is having a wicked time with his Freelander 2. Basically something seriously wrong with the steering - finds it difficult to keep in a straight line at speed, severe pull to the left.

He's had it in and out of the stealers getting parts changed, wheels aligned for the tenth time; has even thrown the keys back only to have them thrown back at him Rolling Eyes

anyway he was back in there last week and the there were 3 other Fl2's with faulty steering pumps in being replaced

is there a known issue with the steering on the FL2, possibly even a VOSA notice on it ? He's getting no joy from stealers or whats left of LR Ireland

Any advice would be appreciated Thumbs Up Bit less leg room in here

Post #75920 13th Sep 2010 8:04 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

There's a few steering racks being replaced under warranty, our was done after 50 miles when the fluid leaked out and the steering locked. There was no trace of a leak other than the fluid dropping in the reservoir, until you squeeze the gators under the car on the steering arms which will be ballooned with fluid, although these symptoms sound a bit different to yours, worth a try though.

Good luck Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #75921 13th Sep 2010 8:08 pm
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

tanters wrote

is there a known issue with the steering on the FL2, possibly even a VOSA notice on it ? He's getting no joy from stealers or whats left of LR Ireland

No I don't know of any issues like this. Has the car been in an accident? Can the car be taken to another LR dealer?

waaxh03

Post #75924 13th Sep 2010 8:14 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

check out the 'poll' results here...there's obviously a prob, whether LR admit to it or not.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic3904.html?highlight=poll

Also, this link may be of interest:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr...paign.html Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #75926 13th Sep 2010 8:23 pm
ryanwong

Malaysia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

I have a problem with my steering, sometimes when i turn the steering, it feels like the steering is rubbing something, it feels like its rubbing a big tuft of grass. I brought it into the dealers and they felt it too but they said its nothing to worry about.

Then recently, after i took it out of town for a roadtrip, it came back with an error message saying there was a problem with the transmission and that traction will be reduced.

Not very encouraging considering its only 6 months old.

Post #76827 24th Sep 2010 5:33 pm
beaulox49

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

I am aware of one issue with the Freelander 2 steering - from my own experiences. Some of the early steering racks suffered poor QC resulting in machining swarf being left inside. This was then recirculated with the fluid - ending up in the reservoir filter mesh and thus blocking it. Starved of fluid on the inlet side, the steering pump would cavitate, causing a loud whine on turning the steering wheel - also bubbling of the fluid in the reservior, and heavy steering at car park speeds. The dealers were instructed to change the reservoir (filter not removable) and flush the system. On some this was apparently enough, but on others (mine included) the fault recurred and the steering rack had to be replaced. whilst this fault was evident on my car, I never had any 'pulling' to one side - just a reduction in the steering assistance. To test for this problem, lift the hood, move the steering from side to side with someone observing the fluid reservoir for bubbling, and listening for a whining noise.

Regards

Post #79398 28th Oct 2010 12:42 am
Allan

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes there is a problem Had the steering rack and reservior replaced on both. Out of warranty in each case but Land Rover contibuted 66% in each case. Proof enough that they accept there is a known problem. 2009 Grey HSE Auto
Gone;
2006 Black FL2 SE manual
2007 Silver FL2 GS commercial manual.

Post #79472 28th Oct 2010 11:47 pm
Junior

England 

My steering was heavy on occasion when pulling away with a bit of lock on, main dealer fitted a new power steering pump.

Post #79497 29th Oct 2010 11:53 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1