« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Handbrake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Missing Link

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver
Handbrake

Prior to supplying my Td4 Auto the non-LR garage fitted new pads front and rear. I find that the handbrake will not hold the vehicle against the drag of the auto box on level ground unless I really heave it on. Does anybody else find the same?

Yes I know about neutral, park postion etc. Rolling Eyes The trouble is if I forget to release it a bit the missus hasn't the strength to release the brake when she drives. Censored Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #75537 9th Sep 2010 12:19 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

adjust handbrake by opening up back of centre console, inside you will find a threaded rod, nut on it should move with fingers At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #75538 9th Sep 2010 12:22 am
Missing Link

Its not so much the travel (although 6 clicks is a bit high) but the amount of grip it has. My old FL1 could stall the engine with the handbrake, no chance with this one. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #75596 9th Sep 2010 3:20 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Use the handbrake to do a few emergency stops that might de-glaze the little shoes a bit, the hand brake is a drum brake inside the rear hub, it doesnt act on the rear disc . I think this is because disc brake acting hand brakes have a habit of relaxing a little on cooling, Cars have been known to roll away when cooled, notably my insurance agents reminding him that everyone needs to claim every now and then. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #75607 9th Sep 2010 5:06 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Sorry to say that the basic design of the handbrake is crap. It'll never be effective over a peroid of time. Something we'll all have to live with. Park in gear. And adjust it before the dreadful mot.
The bloody thing ain't man enough.

Post #75635 9th Sep 2010 10:36 pm
Missing Link

chicken george wrote:
Use the handbrake to do a few emergency stops that might de-glaze the little shoes a bit, the hand brake is a drum brake inside the rear hub, it doesnt act on the rear disc . I think this is because disc brake acting hand brakes have a habit of relaxing a little on cooling, Cars have been known to roll away when cooled, notably my insurance agents reminding him that everyone needs to claim every now and then.

Now thats the gem of info I was missing (and why I miss the RAVE disk) in that the garage changing the pads would have had no effect on the handbrake efficiency. Now I need to persuade the dealer that the problem is covered under warranty and to look at it FOC. Wink

Thank you Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #75640 10th Sep 2010 12:04 am
ad210358

England 

Pegleg wrote:
Sorry to say that the basic design of the handbrake is crap. It'll never be effective over a peroid of time. Something we'll all have to live with. Park in gear. And adjust it before the dreadful mot.
The bloody thing ain't man enough.

LR are not to confident with the handbrake, the handbook states when parking apply handbrake and leave in gear.

Post #75678 10th Sep 2010 6:35 pm
wdw

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

ad210358 wrote:
LR are not to confident with the handbrake, the handbook states when parking apply handbrake and leave in gear.

Standard practice, I would have thought. I've been doing it in every car I've driven for the last 40 years.

Bill

Post #75727 11th Sep 2010 10:52 am
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

I am driving 2nd FL2 and have covered some 50000 miles between them. First one had handbrake adjusted when in for heater recall at 5k, no other adjustments necessary. I go off road regularly pressure wash car and drive fairly briskly. No brake issues at any time.
Had Mondeos before retiring and on 2002 cars there was an issue, the manual said always press footbrake firmly while applying handbrake. This is something I do automatically.

Drove a demo FL2 last week with only 60miles on clock, realised how good the brakes on my own are now they are bedded in. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #75740 11th Sep 2010 3:51 pm
Missing Link

On the old rear drum brakes many had the handbrake spreader attached to the rear slave so applying the footbrake firmly would click the self adjuster round an extra notch. Some however had the handbrake as a part of the shoe pivot and the act of applying the handbrake would also take up any wear of the shoes so applying the footbrake would prevent the self adjuster working.

With separate HB drums as CG informs the pedal isn't going to help as they are completely different systems with different working surfaces. As they are not to be used when the wheel is rotating they should not glaze but if the handbrake is left on they would probably glaze more easily. It's probably this along with dust build-up in the drum which is my problem. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #75904 13th Sep 2010 6:36 pm
richh

England 

hi guys, this could be down to the shoe expanders, these sieze up rather regularly. can free off or just buy new, they keep them in stock at my local dealer. they all do that!

Post #77034 27th Sep 2010 6:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Missing Link

I have now cleaned/serviced the handbrake. Thumbs Up

Fairly straightforward and a few pics in the gallery

1. Chock front wheels, loosen nuts, jack up rear, axle stands and remove wheel.
2. Release handbrake, remove T50 countersunk screw and plastic plug.
3. Rotate disk to position hole at back and look for castleated nut.
4. Using flat bladed screwdriver flick nut to back to close up adjuster. Without this disk/drum won't slip off.
5. Remove caliper by undoing two 15mm A/F (an odd size?) bolts behind disk, push piston back slightly and slide off. Support caliper to prevent it hanging on hose.
6. Tap back of disk in the space left by caliper and rotate to break it free from hub. Use a soft mallet/wood drift. Rock it as you draw it off hub spigot and brake shoes. If the drum catches on shoes don't force it off, use a screwdriver down the back of the disk to hold shoe flat as you ease off drum.
7. Clean and deglaze shoes, remove all dust from drum

Reassembly is in reverse. With the handbrake off and the drums fitted including the screw flick the castleated nut forwards until the brakes bind firmly. Rotate the drum to centralise the shoes and tighten further until it will not go any more. Undo the castleated nut 2-3 clicks until the shoes no longer drag. Refit the caliper and the wheel.. Check the handbrake adjuster in the back of the console and make sure the balance bar pulls up square. If the handbrake still has too many clicks adjust this in the console but make sure the brakes do not drag.

The 4 pictures show the brakes stripped down and the view through the hole for the castellated nut. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #77506 2nd Oct 2010 5:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1