Home > General > Drivers seat
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Wilson

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Drivers seat

Hi,
I have had a brand new Freelander 2 for about 2 months now but the more i drive it, especially long distances i get a severe pain under my right thigh, which is where my leg rests on the bolstered part of the seat. I probably will suffer more with this being long legged and tall but the dealer i have since spoken to seemed to have heard about it from a number of owners. Anyone else had the problem? DWD

Post #75486 8th Sep 2010 5:34 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

No such problems for me mate. I am only 6ft tall but fairly long legged though not to your extent I suspect. Fiddling with the seat adjustment probably won't help too much by the sounds of things. Tricky one.

Interestingly, my mate is 6ft 5" and he can get comfy when in the car. I have the GS model and the seats are nice, not sure how much the seats vary from one model to the next.

Sorry I can't help any further.

Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #75494 8th Sep 2010 8:25 pm
Wilson

Thanks for the reply anyway Dr; I am 6ft 4" and also have the GS model. I have tried all manner of seat adjustments but to no avail. Will keep tinkering but just wondered if anyone heard of any solutions. DWD

Post #75496 8th Sep 2010 8:36 pm
proplus

Wilson wrote:
Thanks for the reply anyway Dr; I am 6ft 4" and also have the GS model. I have tried all manner of seat adjustments but to no avail. Will keep tinkering but just wondered if anyone heard of any solutions.

How about sitting on a cushion.

Not sure is its related, but my missus sometimes helps out in my restaurant. Now after putting in a hard shift, after the journey home (around 40mins) her legs are all swollen up from her thighs down to her feet. This never occured when I was driving the previous car. So now I get her to put the seat all the way back so she can plonk her feet up on the dash.

Post #75504 8th Sep 2010 9:06 pm
Huang

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I get the same pain driving long hours. Then pain still exists after a few days, and I don't have the longest legs. I think its the problem with under thigh support. As discussed in the forum, older models don't have this electric adjustment. Can only adjust the back end of the of seat. I heard that MY10 models can adjust for both....

I am considering buying a cusion to sit on, annoyed.

Post #75544 9th Sep 2010 2:33 am
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

This is going to sound bizarre. Check your seat back. I used to get an aching right leg... saw a program on TV, I think it was Fifth Gear and they were talking about car seats, good ones, bad ones blah blah blah. Basically they said in an ideal world you should take the seat out of the car, and replace it with a seat that has been moulded to fit you! Not exactly practical, BUT, the interesting thing was the person on there that spoke about seat adjustment and how a car seat should work.

The seat back should support your back. The only way that it can do that is by it being able to take some of the weight of your back. Let me qualify this, you shouldn't be laying down, too far back will put unnecessary stress on your lower back, tilt the seat back so that you can feel your weight in the back of the seat. The front should be raised slightly to support your thigh, but not to a point that it is pressing against it as it restricts blood flow.

Anyway try it. It works. The proof, well I'm 6'5" and have not had any issues with my back or legs (except my knees, but they are knackered!) for about 6 years when driving. My brother bought a 520d Touring and could not get comfortable. Legs, back everything was aching if he was in the car for more than about 1 hour. He has always driven very upright. I suggested that he tilted the seat back so it was supporting his weight. No problems any more. Oh and he is 6' 7"

See how you get on.

Cheers Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #75555 9th Sep 2010 9:26 am
Wilson

Thanks for that, will have another play with the adjustments. DWD

Post #75557 9th Sep 2010 10:42 am
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I have commented on this on other threads, for some bizzare reason when you raise the seat the cushion angle flattens, giving you less support, so you sort of slide off the seat, I am sure it would have cost only pennys to have given proper seat adjustment, I would sooner have full manual adjustment than than half electric. Unfortunatly peoples backs are different, one persons comfy seat is another pain in the back, which is why they are adjustable, only not fully in a LR freelander unless you go for the HSE.

Post #75578 9th Sep 2010 1:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1