« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Cycle Carriers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RoamerReg

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver
Cycle Carriers

Has anyone any experience of towbar mounted cycles carriers used while towing a caravan? I have purchased one but it is too low to enable reasonable turning with the van on .

Post #6835 15th Sep 2007 4:25 pm
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Maxx Raxx and they do a 20% discount for D3 forum members. You'll have to watch your nose weight in a Fl2 though I presume. With saying that the Aussies seem to tow with 300Kg noseweights on the D3 Shocked D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #6837 15th Sep 2007 4:44 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

I was thinking about buying a Maxxraxx carrier.You can get them with an extension so that the bikes clear the A frame of your caravan. Only thing is I have a detachable towbar, as I originally planned to have the roofrails but have gone off that idea now. Maxxraxx do a clamp which is permenantly fitted to the towbar and the rack fits onto this. Are there any FL2 owners out there with this fitting and is it successful?

Post #7503 26th Sep 2007 8:45 pm
RoamerReg

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver
Cycle carriers

After considering all the options I have gone for the Halfords one that goes onto a plate behind my towbar. I have a permanent towbar fixed with two bolts so a slightly different problem to JohnL. At first it was no use as the Alco tow hitch would have rubbed against the plate on cornering but having discussed it with our local trailer company they provided a plate to go behind the tow ball and by bolting the cycle rack plate to this about 4 inches higher and adding a spacer it now allows sharp cornering. The bike are held quite high so are well clear of all the towing bits so again no problem on cornering. We are going away this weekend with the full combination for the first time so if it proves a disaster I will report again next week!
Originally I bought a Maypole on the web which was supposed to be OK for towing. It was nowhere near high enough for the bikes to clear to van frame although a really good bit of kit for those wanting to take two bikes on a FL2 without a caravan. Again no good for swan necks. So if anyone out there is interested it is looking for a home?

Post #7548 27th Sep 2007 5:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1