Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > anyone changed oil using vaccum pump?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
m1964

United States 
anyone changed oil using vaccum pump?

I am considering using one of these vacuum pumps for oil changes:

http://www.amazon.com/Itt-Jabsco-Bucket-Ch...mp;sr=8-34

or

[url][/url]
http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-Liter-F...amp;sr=8-3

- easy access to the oil filter on 3.2L gas engine should make change not too difficult.

Anyone can comment?

Thanks

Post #72718 25th Jul 2010 4:24 pm
pfjths

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Used one to get the oil out my yacht's engine. Seemed to work OK but is it worth it for the FL as it should be easy to drain unlike a boat...?

Post #72723 25th Jul 2010 8:46 pm
m1964

United States 

pfjths wrote:
Used one to get the oil out my yacht's engine. Seemed to work OK but is it worth it for the FL as it should be easy to drain unlike a boat...?

inserting the plastic tube into the dipstick tube seems easier then getting under the vehicle, undoing 8 bolts of the protective plate, and then drain plug - anyways, should be easier done from the top in winter months...

Post #72740 26th Jul 2010 3:09 am
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Interesting. I've always been wary of using vaccum pumps when draining oil in case i can't get all the black stuff out. I once saw a car straight from a dealer (not L/R) after oil change using a pump and the dipstick was covered in black streaks. I assume the worst of the oil is at the bottom of the sump.
Anyone know if these pumps are any good?

Post #72795 27th Jul 2010 12:24 am
kezman50

England 

Pegleg wrote:
Interesting. I've always been wary of using vaccum pumps when draining oil in case i can't get all the black stuff out. I once saw a car straight from a dealer (not L/R) after oil change using a pump and the dipstick was covered in black streaks. I assume the worst of the oil is at the bottom of the sump.
Anyone know if these pumps are any good?

So.....do a lot of dealers suck the oil out rather than let it drain out then? To be honest, even draining with a flush rarely gets all the sludge out, so actually I can't see the problem with the suck method. You can measure the quantity taken out to know your about there and as said, it's got to be easier when doing it yourself. I suppose, no sump plug washer to buy either.

Post #72803 27th Jul 2010 7:49 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

My comments on vacum pumps for what its worth.
Many garages use them and some main dealers that i know. Usualy you will warm the engine up which in turn picks up most of the sludge suspended in the oil. It also makes it a little thinner as the oil warms up. This will make it more easy to extract.
The pump up vacum cylinder unit is the best option for price and comes with several ribes each indicating one litre of oil so you know how much you have extracted.
I have a six litre pump up vacum unit with six ribs indicating six litres of oil when full. It has a auto cut off when full so oil does not spill out all over the place.
There are three diferent size tubes for most dipsticks. I have vacumed out oil from many tyes of cars over the years and found them to be a very good tool.
NOW FOR THE BAD NEWS. Ive just serviced my FL2 and was only able to extract almost five litres of oil as i could not get the tube to the bottom of the sump no matter what i tried. I still had to take off the sump guard and undo the drain plug on my diesel freelander, but apart from that its a first class tool which i still use many times on other makes of cars. hope this helps Thumbs Up

Post #72846 27th Jul 2010 5:53 pm
m1964

United States 

superspark wrote:
NOW FOR THE BAD NEWS. Ive just serviced my FL2 and was only able to extract almost five litres of oil as i could not get the tube to the bottom of the sump no matter what i tried. I still had to take off the sump guard and undo the drain plug on my diesel freelander, but apart from that its a first class tool which i still use many times on other makes of cars. hope this helps Thumbs Up

Thanks for reply, superspark-what is the oil capacity of your disel engine?

my 3.2L takes about 7.5 L of 5W-30, I guess I will have to try the vacuum method to see if I can get most of the oil out, since the 3.2L gas engine is uncommon in Europe...

Post #72884 28th Jul 2010 3:46 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Hi m1964, I had sucked out five litres or there about and after removing the sump plug got out about another litre, the book if i remember states 6.5 uk litres but that would be a dry engine. Fuel here is very expensive, where i buy it it is £1.16.9 per litre.

Post #72926 28th Jul 2010 4:57 pm
Junior

England 

My Derek sometimes uses a vacuum pump Very Happy

Post #72961 29th Jul 2010 12:46 am
m1964

United States 

superspark wrote:
Hi m1964, I had sucked out five litres or there about and after removing the sump plug got out about another litre, the book if i remember states 6.5 uk litres but that would be a dry engine. Fuel here is very expensive, where i buy it it is £1.16.9 per litre.

Ah,
I looked yesterday at the reviews/ratings of those Vacuum pumps, and some people reported that the seals in the pump start to leak if using synthetic oils-the pump does not leak on the first use, but after one -two months they leak oil.
back to my independent mech next week -oil filter and mobil1 already in the garage.

Thanks to all for your help.

Post #73235 3rd Aug 2010 4:11 am
Missing Link

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

This type of oil change is only effective if the dip stick hole is over the lowest part of the sump. Older in line engines almost always had this configuration but there is no guarantee and this is why you cannot get all the oil out of the FL2. If you can argue the cost vs convenience do the oil change warm as has already been said but do it more often than required by the service intervals. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #74726 26th Aug 2010 9:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1