« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Fuel gauge gremlin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ptecuk

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red
Fuel gauge gremlin

Cruising on the motorway when the fuel gauge dropped within a few minutes from just under half full down to empty. Low fuel warning and showed about 8 miles range left. The gauge then slowly recovered back to where it should be just under the half full. Very strange. Only happened the once so far in the 2000 odd miles I have had the car. It is a 2007 manual diesel. Will mention to the dealer before warranty finally expires. Computer gremlins or a faulty fuel level sensor I wonder? Very pleased with the car as a whole.

Post #65877 8th Apr 2010 7:33 pm
ad210358

England 

It has happened a few times.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic5296.html p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #65878 8th Apr 2010 7:42 pm
chris8of9

Isle Of Man 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black

Same happened to me. Took it in to dealer, they said it was a loose connector to the fuel gauge, they have refitted and added cable ties. Fingers crossed it has not happened since.

Post #65879 8th Apr 2010 7:47 pm
ptecuk

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Thanks for your replies. I should have done a search before posting as I can see it is an issue that has cropped up before. Lets hope it doesn't happen again.

Post #65932 9th Apr 2010 7:20 pm
Podcast

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

I had this happen a few times when about 1/4 full, worst thing is it goes into 'limp mode' which means pulling out into traffic is lethal! Anyway, after a few trips to the dealer (one with the fuel tank out on the bench) they couldn't find a fault but added an additional balancing pipe for the saddle fuel tank as they reckoned that may have been the issue...never seen a problem since! Thumbs Up

Post #65939 9th Apr 2010 8:06 pm
clinkerhull

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

This is very interesting. I filled up with diesel the other day and have done 95km since however the gauge is indicating there is less than half the diesel left in the tank. I usually get approx 700km to a tank so I figure there is a fault with the gauge. The vehicle is due for a service soon so I will have it looked at.

Post #66449 15th Apr 2010 10:27 am
alex_pescaru

clinkerhull wrote:
I filled up with diesel the other day and have done 95km since however the gauge is indicating there is less than half the diesel left in the tank.

Happened to me once, after I left the car sit for a while on a quite lateral inclined slope.
I wasn't worried knowing that the tank has 2 fuel level sensors (one on each side) and the remaining fuel is calculated by the ECU in CJB after a quite strange algorithm.
It will show you a little less than half for a while, without moving, until the fuel left in tank will be indeed less than half.
At the next fill up all will enter normality. Laughing

Post #66472 15th Apr 2010 5:17 pm
clinkerhull

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Thanks for the explanation. My fuel level is sitting just under half so it sounds like the same issue.

Post #66524 15th Apr 2010 11:20 pm
Kostaschrys

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Same happened to me today. Fuel indicator sits below half and the tank is almost full. I turned the ignition on and off several times but nothing happened.
I had also another incident with the fuel gauge some months ago that went down to the bottom stating remaining distance 5Km, but after the off and on procedure went to normal.

Post #70817 18th Jun 2010 12:35 pm
labman

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

my freelander 2 has been droping like a stone with the fuel tank at various levels goes from full to 0 in an instent the workshop have looked at it and fitted a cable tie ? not much use. The problem is now more frequent DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM ACTUALLY IS AS LANDROVER DONT HAVE A CLUE

Post #71890 12th Jul 2010 10:27 am
rt

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

07 GS. Had problems for a while, in that after brimming the tank, by the time I had left the forecourt the gauge dropped to 3/4. I assumed this was caused by fuel foaming in filler tube but when dealer looked at it, they suggested changing the sender units. This was done under warranty and the result is that brimming the tank causes the gauge to read above full and it now takes about 80 miles to drop to full. Dealer also said that they had replaced a lot of these units.

Post #74327 19th Aug 2010 8:54 pm
mole

United Kingdom 

Driving last week with the fuel guage showing 1/4 full and a range of 80 miles left. Then engine cuts out. Recovered to Harwoods, Edenbridge overnight. They found the car on their forecourt in the morning. They checked the fuel situation three-times and the guage was showing empty and a range of 0 miles. On the fourth check it replicated the 1/4 full and 80 mile range left. They rang me at 08:00 and told me they would have new parts for the fuel tank in the next day and the car was ready for collection that afternoon.

Thanks to Harwoods for 1st class service (all covered by warranty) - NO, I am not related to Harwoods!! mole

Post #74443 22nd Aug 2010 7:45 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1