Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Mio Navman Spirit V735 mounted into the dash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
darrellr

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver
Mio Navman Spirit V735 mounted into the dash

I've created a separate thread on this now that I've got it sorted.

This is not for the faint-hearted!

The unit is a 7" Sat Nav with TV function. The official web-site is here.

The unit is too big to fit in the space where the official unit goes without modification so this is nowhere near as easy as the Sony Nav-U83 fitment.

As you may know my first attempt ended in disaster as I cracked the screen. Not to be put off I bought a second unit (the first is being repaired by Mio) and tried again.

In brief the solution is to remove the back of the Mio leaving just the black front surround. This can be carefully slid behind the retention plastic notches for the official screen. However this doesn't allow for the power, tv and traffic info connectors to fit. My solution was to strip off the tv plug and solder direct to the TV card, trim the plastic from the traffic info aerial and unscrew and reposition the power connector. I have placed the aerial right on the 'black stuff' on the top of the windscreen on the passenger side and routed the cable behind the trim. The power is supplied by a hidden splice into the ignition controlled power supply.

My main problem is there is no auto switch off function on the Mio, unlike the Sony and so I've just disconnected the satnav battery. This effectively crashes the unit every time the ignition cuts out - can't be good so alternative suggestions gratefully received.

All now working - I'll see if I can upload some pictures for you into the gallery (click on 'Gallery' below) New: Freelander2 GS 62 plate (MY13) - Santorini Black with Clearview & Front PDC
Old: Freelander2 XS 09 Plate - Zermatt Silver with ST3 remap (eco map), Garmin 1490T Sat Nav, Rear Seat Entertainment kit

Post #67096 24th Apr 2010 11:09 am
freelaner

United Kingdom 

looks amazing! can you hear the audio though?

Post #67110 24th Apr 2010 4:51 pm
darrellr

freelaner wrote:
looks amazing! can you hear the audio though?

Yes I stripped the 'aerial' off the inside of the back case and taped it securely to the pole connector on the circuit board. So FM transmitter is fine @ 107.6 MHz. New: Freelander2 GS 62 plate (MY13) - Santorini Black with Clearview & Front PDC
Old: Freelander2 XS 09 Plate - Zermatt Silver with ST3 remap (eco map), Garmin 1490T Sat Nav, Rear Seat Entertainment kit

Post #67118 24th Apr 2010 6:00 pm
freelaner

United Kingdom 

ah i see.

Do you think it would work with other sat navs the same size?

Post #67123 24th Apr 2010 7:34 pm
darrellr

This is beyond the absolute max - I had to remove half the case to get it to fit. New: Freelander2 GS 62 plate (MY13) - Santorini Black with Clearview & Front PDC

Post #67127 24th Apr 2010 8:19 pm
Junior

England 

Great Mod Thumbs Up What is the tv reception like on the move? can you run the audio through the main speakers?

Post #67150 25th Apr 2010 12:37 am
freelaner

United Kingdom 

If I have understood right the audio is transmitted by radio frequency to the headunit and you just tune into it like a normal radio station.

Post #67155 25th Apr 2010 7:59 am
alex_pescaru

Don't worry about unproper shutdown.
All OS and navi files are stored on a non volatile flash memory and each start will boot again.
Just like you will start a computer from a CD/DVD. All will be loaded again, "like new", without problems.

Post #67160 25th Apr 2010 8:50 am
darrellr

Junior wrote:
Great Mod Thumbs Up What is the tv reception like on the move? can you run the audio through the main speakers?

Sound is via a a tiny built-in speaker or via FM transmitter to the headunit. No text is passed to my Landrover headunit - it just states the frequency (I have an 'old' XS'). New: Freelander2 GS 62 plate (MY13) - Santorini Black with Clearview & Front PDC

Post #67164 25th Apr 2010 9:16 am
mickhep

Hi Darrellr I've been looking at these aswell (check your pm's)
when you say the following " My solution was to strip off the tv plug and solder direct to the TV card"
what do you mean by this, are you soldering the aerial plug to the card, or the card to the PCB board, if the latter how is that done.
Cheers
Mick Commercial S,with climate and leather retrim

Post #72061 14th Jul 2010 6:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1