Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Selecting Gears
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Ive had the reverse gear lockout fail 3 times now. The last was after the PTC recall. Colliers apologised and fixed it the next day. Apart from these faults the car has been faultless. Smile

Can anyone tell me where the lockout solenoid is and where the electrical connections are?
The dealership said it was a design fault in the electrical connection that causes the lockout to fail so frequently.

Post #37461 20th Feb 2009 8:10 pm
dotnetdave

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

i have just had this problem at 70mph after the ptc heater recall, but i found reverse and crunched it. So landrover assistance called out and they said its unsafe to drive so off to the dealers tomorrow, like to see their faces now when i tell them i hit reverse and what the gearbox will be like.

Post #37872 1st Mar 2009 11:06 pm
anglaslt

Lithuania 2015 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana

I'm very grateful for this thread. I now know I have a fault rather than an odd gearbox.

Thinking abouit it, it's likely that something changed after the PTC recall so back to the dealer.....

Tom

Post #37965 3rd Mar 2009 10:38 am
Andy Tring

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

I too have this problem since the PTR recall fix

Stratstones Aylesbury have had it back twice and said they fixed it but still loads of play when selecting 5th and 6th gears......the worst time it "gets lost" is when changing down from 6 to 5 then I am found to be stirring a pudding basin trying to locate a gear. I normally end up in 4th!

To be honest I'm fed up keep taking it back, arranging lifts or courtesy car etc

Where would I find this solenoid and I'll try and fix it myself?

regards

Andrew

Post #39114 20th Mar 2009 5:07 pm
anglaslt

Lithuania 2015 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana

Car goes to the dealer tomorrow to try to fix the gearbox. Problem is, they have had no experience of the lock out failing but then there aren't that many FL2s here. I said it's most likely the solenoid but has anyone located it yet?
Tom

Post #39286 24th Mar 2009 8:08 am
chris8of9

Isle Of Man 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black

Update

Got around to taking the car to the dealers today to replace the worn pillar trims and seat belts and they also replaced the solenoid on the gear selector. Glad to say no problems now, everything working as it should.

Had an automatic HSE FL2 as a loan car and I must admit I do prefer my manual but the auto does perform well albeit recording some 4mpg less over my usual journey to work and back.

chris8of9 wrote:
I am expeirncing similar problems when selecting fifth and sixth, it is as if the stop that normally restricts you going into reverse once the car is moving is not operating properly.

I mentioned it the dealer a few weeks ago when the car was in for the recall, however he said everything was fine and when I got the car back it was fine. A few days later I started experiencing the same problem. I have not been back to them yet, to busy.

One thing that has happened twice now is that when I went for fifth gear and ended up going to far to the right the gear lever has locked in position, in neutral above reverse. In both instances I had to stop the car so that I could select reverse and this then freed up the gear stick and I could drive on.

I will get it to the dealers when I get back from a short trip away next week, I would advise the same, it sounds like a gear selector / gearbox problem.

cheers

chris

Post #44340 2nd Jul 2009 8:49 pm
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

my car just started with this problem too, thought it was just me but after reading this checked with the wfe who has also noticed but agian thought it was just her, As the car is out of warrnety now how much is this likley to cost me Rolling Eyes freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #71876 11th Jul 2010 10:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12